Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

What Mountain Bike?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
What Mountain Bike?

So I used to mountain bike with my dad when I was little. I want to get back into it. My friend is gonna buy one as well. I used to bmx also so I want a full suspension bike that I can do downhill and some decent jumps with. The one bike that really caught my eye was a Diamondback Recoil. Since this will be my first one, I dont wanna spend the $2,000-$4000 for a tricked out one. I just want a decent first one. The most I would spend is probably $1000 out the door. The Recoil was like High $600's I think. Is that a good one? What else would you prefer? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
try craigslist ive seen some decent ones in my area for way under their original price
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
For $1000 or less, a full suspension bike will most likely be very heavy, or have some mediocre components on it. If you dont mind a hard tail bike, check out the Specialized P. All mountain Disc. Its not a bad bike, and made to be a bike for various riding including jumping. I have a 2008 Specialized XC Comp and love it, but thats a $1500 bike more for trails and not big jumps. I have hit my share on it though.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
try craigslist ive seen some decent ones in my area for way under their original price
yea I have been checking. the thing that bothers me is that I dont really know if I would be getting a good price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
For $1000 or less, a full suspension bike will most likely be very heavy, or have some mediocre components on it. If you dont mind a hard tail bike, check out the Specialized P. All mountain Disc. Its not a bad bike, and made to be a bike for various riding including jumping. I have a 2008 Specialized XC Comp and love it, but thats a $1500 bike more for trails and not big jumps. I have hit my share on it though.
I'd rather not go with a hard tail. Maybe I could pick up a used xc comp or something. Is weight that big of a deal? I ride my 2005 cr250 dirt bike so Im kinda used to heavy bikes lol
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
im riding a pretty old cannondale v1000 its old in age not use though, it was y dads that he never rode, its def. heavier than my road bike but i dont know how lighter it is than a cheaper full susp. bike
Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
im riding a pretty old cannondale v1000 its old in age not use though, it was y dads that he never rode, its def. heavier than my road bike but i dont know how lighter it is than a cheaper full susp. bike
Its crazy how some of the top of the line ones are soo light. I saw one that was 12 grand! Must have been as light as a feather.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
just check the weights of say a $1500 bike and the $600 one u want but i still say try used and meet at a local bike shop and get them to look over the bike for u like for a used car
Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just check the weights of say a $1500 bike and the $600 one u want but i still say try used and meet at a local bike shop and get them to look over the bike for u like for a used car

Great suggestion
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
i was looking at a jamis full suspension a couple years ago. it had fox shocks and wasn't to heavy. cost was under a $1,000.
But going to bike stores is always the way to go. not all bikes fit the same. not saying you have to buy it there. just a good idea to get a feel for one before you buy it.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Uhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Uhaul-n-azz's Tacoma Gallery
Iron Horse makes some good bikes I have a Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 and love it.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
JATaco will become famous soon enough
JATaco's Tacoma Gallery
I also have an Ironhorse (yakuza). The best mt. bike ive ever owned, picked it up at sports chalet for $900.00 marked down from $1200.00. I ride hard and off road as much as possable, so its perfect. If you do alot of on road prob. not the bike you want.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
So I used to mountain bike with my dad when I was little. I want to get back into it. My friend is gonna buy one as well. I used to bmx also so I want a full suspension bike that I can do downhill and some decent jumps with. The one bike that really caught my eye was a Diamondback Recoil. Since this will be my first one, I dont wanna spend the $2,000-$4000 for a tricked out one. I just want a decent first one. The most I would spend is probably $1000 out the door. The Recoil was like High $600's I think. Is that a good one? What else would you prefer? Thanks for the help!
i don't thinks that bike exists. sub $1000 and bit hit

for this kind of bike, $2000 is NOT tricked out. it would be an entry level.

buyer beware...you get what you pay for.
i paid $2200 in 1999 for a XC bike, and only replacing worn components, it still works as well as the day i got it
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Captain Funk
techgeekwill has a spectacular aura abouttechgeekwill has a spectacular aura about
techgeekwill's Tacoma Gallery
Craigslist FTW.

I have a Trek 4300 Disc, and love it. We don't have many hills down here, so i am not too worried about full suspension.

As others have said, for that price, you'll probably end up with a crappy bike if you buy new. I would look for a used one. Can't recommend one specific. Never did much research into Full Suspension bikes.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
fuel100 has a spectacular aura aboutfuel100 has a spectacular aura about

fuel100's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a website I use when purchasing a bike. It's pretty helpful.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx
Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #16

fuel100's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a pic of one of my bikes.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #18

fuel100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked over craigs list a little last night. I think I need a 20". Im 6'1" 190#'s. Does that sound right?
I would say 18" to 20". each manufacturer measure their bikes differently. Trek measurers their frames from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, which makes a 20" trek the same size as an 18" Specialized. It's weird. That's why you should size some at a local bike shop.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel100 View Post
I would say 18" to 20". each manufacturer measure their bikes differently. Trek measurers their frames from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, which makes a 20" trek the same size as an 18" Specialized. It's weird. That's why you should size some at a local bike shop.
ok. If I find a good one on craigslist I will post it here to see what you guys think.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #20

fuel100's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one that is the best of the best. It's a little older, but I raced on one for years and it was the best bike I have ever owned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Trek-Fuel-1...3A2%7C294%3A50