LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

MS Tour Training

Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
MS Tour Training

I'm contemplating doing the MS Tour. I think I have about 18 weeks to train for it. It is a 2 day 150 mile ride.

I haven't been seriously cycling in about 7 years. I've barely touched the bikes except to move them out of my way for the past 3 years. I could stand to lose 50+ pounds. Does anyone think that 18 weeks of training is realistic?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I'm contemplating doing the MS Tour. I think I have about 18 weeks to train for it. It is a 2 day 150 mile ride.

I haven't been seriously cycling in about 7 years. I've barely touched the bikes except to move them out of my way for the past 3 years. I could stand to lose 50+ pounds. Does anyone think that 18 weeks of training is realistic?
Absolutly! I have done it a few times. Out here its 187 miles, yet still called the MS 150.........Regardless, if you have a good bike, you shouldnt have any problems. FWIW, My buddies and I used our mountain bikes, and STILL finished in the top 10%
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Plathora is a jewel in the roughPlathora is a jewel in the roughPlathora is a jewel in the rough
Plathora's Tacoma Gallery
Two days, 150 miles is not that big a deal if you are in any reasonable shape; with commitment I believe 18 weeks would be sufficient. Having said that, the extra weight will put a lot of stress on your lower back. More so, depending on the type of bike you drive. I would first try and melt off a few pounds doing something besides biking and then work on training your butt for two days in the saddle.

Use the situation to gather lots of sponsors
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plathora View Post
Two days, 150 miles is not that big a deal if you are in any reasonable shape; with commitment I believe 18 weeks would be sufficient. Having said that, the extra weight will put a lot of stress on your lower back. More so, depending on the type of bike you drive. I would first try and melt off a few pounds doing something besides biking and then work on training your butt for two days in the saddle.

Well said and Welcome to TW!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

Robert, fwiw, I dropped 20# during the 2 day ride.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Absolutly! I have done it a few times. Out here its 187 miles, yet still called the MS 150.........Regardless, if you have a good bike, you shouldnt have any problems. FWIW, My buddies and I used our mountain bikes, and STILL finished in the top 10%
Alright, well I guess I need to start getting some saddle time in. My butt is going to hurt tomorrow.

I've got a few nice bikes, but I don't like riding them. I get so self conscious when someone on a $500 bike flies by me on my $3000 bike. I know what they're thinking, because it is the same thing that I used to think.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Alright, well I guess I need to start getting some saddle time in. My butt is going to hurt tomorrow.

I've got a few nice bikes, but I don't like riding them. I get so self conscious when someone on a $500 bike flies by me on my $3000 bike. I know what they're thinking, because it is the same thing that I used to think.
LMAO! Yeah....Happened to my buddies and I. One kid flew past us, and I had a slightly discouraged look until my buddy pointed out that we would be MUCH faster, if the kid were to carry a 5 gallon water bottle on his back (which we concluded was how much weight we had over him), and reduced his O2 capacity by 90%, which is what we figured smokeing did to us.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Plathora is a jewel in the roughPlathora is a jewel in the roughPlathora is a jewel in the rough
Plathora's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Welcome to TW!
Thanks Chris. Been lurking for a while. Not an owner yet but need new wheels soon.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Chris. Been lurking for a while. Not an owner yet but need new wheels soon.
Well, I hope what you read on the site helps to guide you in a desision you will be happy with.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Is it anything like the MS 13 we have in NOVA?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Probably just like it....but 137 miles further.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha does anyone get that?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm actually in horrible shape. However, I cycled very regularly for about 10 years before I started slowing down. I know what you're saying about the extra weight. Even when I was into cycling, I still carried an extra 15 pounds around my belly and that would hurt my lower back on a longer ride. I'll likely start my training on my full suspension bike, but will eventually start putting some miles on my road bike.

I recently starting doing some weights and I'll start adding some trainer miles to my quick workouts.

Quote:
Robert, fwiw, I dropped 20# during the 2 day ride.
I can drink 20# worth of beer when I'm finished?!?

Quote:
LMAO! Yeah....Happened to my buddies and I. One kid flew past us, and I had a slightly discouraged look until my buddy pointed out that we would be MUCH faster, if the kid were to carry a 5 gallon water bottle on his back (which we concluded was how much weight we had over him), and reduced his O2 capacity by 90%, which is what we figured smokeing did to us.
I used to get Murray stickers and put them on my Litespeed. I'd do that again, but I would rather not scratch the paint on my other bikes.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
as in the gang? yes, it is just like the gang.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
I can drink 20# worth of beer when I'm finished?!?
Yes. OR, you can drink the beer as you are cycling, so as to keep your weight consistant thruout the ride...

Quote:
I used to get Murray stickers and put them on my Litespeed. I'd do that again, but I would rather not scratch the paint on my other bikes.
LMAO!!!! My buddy put "Team Huffy" on his jersey!