Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Woodworking

Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #21
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Don,

I'm glad that you've got the picture thing figured out now. Happy to help.

Sawdust,

Yes, you can definately keep your name. That is a beautiful piece. I do appreciate all the time and batteries that my calling you out cost you.

Nice work, all of you, I am honored to be in the virtual company of such tallented craftsmen, who happen to have great taste in trucks as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #22
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
I added another pic that shows the bottom of the bowl. The Logo was cut out and put together as pieces, letters and all, each piece you see was cut out and put together like a puzzle!!! I did that so when I turned the inside of the bowl the logo would follow the same contour

By the way, your project certainly earned you the right to use "Sawdust" as your name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY, VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! That's truly impressive. Did you cut all the pieces by hand? That's some precision I can only dream of. I think our projects are opposite ends of the spectrum. Yours is small and precise, mine's just impressive due to the scale
Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #23
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Sawdust,
Yes, you can definately keep your name. That is a beautiful piece. I do appreciate all the time and batteries that my calling you out cost you.
Oh, you caught that part, did you? We've got a lousy camera. That's part of the reason I hadn't taken the pictures before now. It feels kinda funny now that I've got pictures in my gallery here, none of them are of my truck. But it's just stock+tonneau, so doesn't seem that interesting (yet).

Quote:
Nice work, all of you, I am honored to be in the virtual company of such tallented craftsmen, who happen to have great taste in trucks as well.
I hadn't mentioned that I like that crib too. Some details about the joinery might be nice. The decks/railing and rodcase I saw were awesome (sorry I haven't looked up who did which, but it's not easy to do after you've already got the editor open).

Over on the "hauling plywood" thread, I added an update about a cheap hitch connected bed extender. Folks interested in this thread may be interested in that. Then again, maybe I'm the only one with the short bed.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple of projects that I have completed and all are made out of Mahogany! ! As a lot of other have been.

The first one is a Jewel Box for Necklaces and the other two are run of the mill jewel boxes! !

Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #26
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful, Don. That's more the scale I want to tackle next time. I'll have to work up to that level of precision.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #27
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Here's another one I couldn't get on that last post!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #28
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After I built that, I ofcourse opened a can of worms and my better half now wants her own handbuilt piece of furniture, so I am in the planning stages of building her a rocking chair, and by planning I mean I think about it while I drink, but I am mentaly at a loss for how to curve the very top of the chair where the spindles will attach, the head-rest if you will. Any ideas?
I meant to ask this earlier, but tell us more about what you want the back of the chair to look like and maybe we can offer some suggestions. I'm not sure I'm picturing what you want the curve to look like. You could cut it out of a wide piece of stock, or you could do some bent lamination.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I hadn't mentioned that I like that crib too. Some details about the joinery might be nice.
Thank you.

Let's see, details...

The cradle is made out of 3/4 premium (maybe you call it number 1) pine. (Were I building it for myself it would have been oak, but the parents wanted pine to match the other furnature they already had)

The base of the cradle itself, (where the mattress goes) is 5/4 premium pine with the edges of the long side cut on an angle. 12 degrees I think, but I'd have to check to be sure. The corner pieces are screwed and countersunk together, and then they are screwed to the base. The bottom facing boards are screwed through from the sides, and then the spindles are glued and inserted.

The spindles are just 1/2 inch birch dowels. (I would have prefered to have made them myself, with a lot more detail, but a laythe just wasn't in the budget this year)

The top rails are then inserted onto the spindles, and screwed in through the sides as well. The short sides with the scroll top were cut on the band saw and the screws secuting them to the rest of the cradle are 4 1/2 inches long (probably overkill) but that is the weight bearing piece, and I refused to be responsible for injuring my Godson.

The stand is 3/4 uprights, 5/4 crossbar, and 2" wide feet. The cradle is secured to the stand with tapered birch pegs (the kid would need to have adult hand strength to be able to work them loose, and realistically by the time he can pull himself up, to get at them he'll be out of the cradle and into a crib. There is also a thrid birch peg at the bottom which can be pulled to allow the cradle to rock, and then replaced once the child is asleep.

This is almost an exact replica of the cradle that my father built when I was born, though that one is oak, and does have turned spindles.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #30
Old Goat
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you.

Let's see, details...

The cradle is made out of 3/4 premium (maybe you call it number 1) pine. (Were I building it for myself it would have been oak, but the parents wanted pine to match the other furnature they already had)

The base of the cradle itself, (where the mattress goes) is 5/4 premium pine with the edges of the long side cut on an angle. 12 degrees I think, but I'd have to check to be sure. The corner pieces are screwed and countersunk together, and then they are screwed to the base. The bottom facing boards are screwed through from the sides, and then the spindles are glued and inserted.

The spindles are just 1/2 inch birch dowels. (I would have prefered to have made them myself, with a lot more detail, but a laythe just wasn't in the budget this year)

The top rails are then inserted onto the spindles, and screwed in through the sides as well. The short sides with the scroll top were cut on the band saw and the screws secuting them to the rest of the cradle are 4 1/2 inches long (probably overkill) but that is the weight bearing piece, and I refused to be responsible for injuring my Godson.

The stand is 3/4 uprights, 5/4 crossbar, and 2" wide feet. The cradle is secured to the stand with tapered birch pegs (the kid would need to have adult hand strength to be able to work them loose, and realistically by the time he can pull himself up, to get at them he'll be out of the cradle and into a crib. There is also a thrid birch peg at the bottom which can be pulled to allow the cradle to rock, and then replaced once the child is asleep.

This is almost an exact replica of the cradle that my father built when I was born, though that one is oak, and does have turned spindles.
Very! !! Very nice piece of work! !! I was just surfing back thru the threads and read your reply about your project! I am very impressed and your friend and his wife are very lucky to have a friend like you

Don G
Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #31
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! I could only dream of having 1% of the skill and craftsmanship I've witnessed on this thread. You gentlemen are truly gifted.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #32
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
That stuff looks great. I tend to just build functionality; I don't have the patience or time to do the nice finishes.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #33
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Y'all are going to start shaming me into finishing my wife's birthday present. I was supposed to give it to her about 5 years ago. For as much time as I spent on the jewelry box, it really is a crappy setup. I'll post some photos when I finish a little more on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #34
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If it's taken you this long so far, are you gonna have a 3rd gen Tacoma by the time you finish a little more?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #35
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about a v8 Tacoma or maybe even a diesel.

I think that I've redeemed myself though...I built some steps for the back of the house that are not falling apart.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #36

I fortified my mailbox after it fell off the post.....about the extent of my handy work.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #37
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be finishing up a pine derby racer this evening for my 7 year old daughter, but she insisted on a My Little Pony theme, so I don't think I'll be posting the pics and asking for ridicule.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #38
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
My little pony would be great. Whenever I think of Texas, I think of pink ponies.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #39
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
See, that's where you're wrong. It's not pink. It's aqua AND pink.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
See, that's where you're wrong. It's not pink. It's aqua AND pink.
Ooooooooh, that's fabulous!