1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Woodworking

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by maverick491, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Dec 6, 2007 at 6:12 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Man you guys are good, I've been contemplating getting into woodworking for a while, but I've got no space. We've got a 2 car garage, wife takes up one slot with the Highlander and my Harley Sportster is in the other slot. But a couple of weeks ago I just bought the Ridgid portable table saw to try to get started. Man that's a nice saw. Got it the day after Thanksgiving at Home depot for $299. I don't know where I can get cheap lumber from though.

2. Dec 6, 2007 at 6:36 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I didn't know there was such a thing.

3. Dec 6, 2007 at 6:40 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    LOL, yeah I know, I wish there was

4. Dec 6, 2007 at 9:10 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I fit both my Taco and wife's CRV in the garage along with the ww tools. It can be done, but you need to carefully consider purchases and space planning. When my truck is in (right side) I have about 6 inches clearance to the edge of my tool space, which is about 24" deep all along that side wall. Obviously I have to move the vehicles out to get any woodwork done.

Two years ago I made space for a workbench by buying a black and decker plastic storage shed to put in the backyard to hold the lawn mower, wheelbarrow, and all the various home maintenance equipment. That was really the key to being able to make the garage dual purpose for parking cars and doing woodwork.

Tablesaws tend to be the largest piece of equipment. I've heard good things about that Rigid portable, but no first hand experience. I got a Ryobi portal hand-me-down tablesaw from my Dad a few months ago, but still haven't used it. I built that Murphy Bed (pics above) using a high-end circular saw guide (EZ Smart). That's extremely space-efficient.

When you find cheap lumber, let us know. However, if you really want to invest the time, it is possible to find people who have cut down trees that basically let you have it free if you move it off their land. Then you pay somebody with a portable saw mill to come and slice it into lumber for you. But then you've got to store it and dry it properly.

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    near 7 year thread resurrection... am i setting a record?

starting a new job working at a furniture restoration place in a couple of weeks
    half-excited, half-scared-to-death... as my current job has been very good and is hard to leave
    also, although i've completed a University program in "Cabinetmaking", i'm fairly green at this whole thing
    those classes, which included 15 hours of lab a week, are the only experience i have

Products Discussed in

To Top