Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Electrical Engineering help

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Electrical Engineering help

Can anyone familiar with ammeters and voltmeters help clarify what they are?

I know voltmeters are in series while ammeters are in parallel, but I dont't understand the point of them or why they exist.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
UH...............voltmeters measure voltage and ammeters measure ampherage.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure is not the other way around, voltmeters in parallel and ammeters in series, if you are talking about the measurement tool, one measures voltage the other current.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
thecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thecoldone06's Tacoma Gallery
Voltmeter will measure how much voltage is going through a wire. Making sure you have 120 volts at a socket, for example.

Ammeter measures how much current there is moving through a circuit.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
Are you sure is not the other way around, voltmeters in parallel and ammeters in series, if you are talking about the measurement tool, one measures voltage the other current.
x2
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
UH...............voltmeters measure voltage and ammeters measure ampherage.
I mean when added as resistors to a circuit. Idk I didn't provide a good description of my issue. Let me talk to my professor and reread some text

This is the slide from out lecture

Electrical Engineering help-e-theory.jpg[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DANIEL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-13.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a bigger image I can help you out, I can't see the slide its to small.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I think you may have that backwards.

A voltmeter measures the potential difference in voltage between two points in a circuit. Measuring DC voltage for instance, is typically done with the black lead on the ground or reference and the red lead on the voltage to be measured.

An current meter is inserted in line as the current must flow through the meter. If the current meter is inserted in parallel to the circuit component, then all the current will flow through the meter and not through the circuit component. Current always flows through the path of least resistance. The leads on multimeters have to be plugged into different holes when measuring current. If not, you'll blow the meter up.

Hope this helped.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I think you may have that backwards.

A voltmeter measures the potential difference in voltage between two points in a circuit. Measuring DC voltage for instance, is typically done with the black lead on the ground or reference and the red lead on the voltage to be measured.

An current meter is inserted in line as the current must flow through the meter. If the current meter is inserted in parallel to the circuit component, then all the current will flow through the meter and not through the circuit component. Current always flows through the path of least resistance. The leads on multimeters have to be plugged into different holes when measuring current. If not, you'll blow the meter up.

Hope this helped.

Actually you post made me think my way through it. The pictures she drew in our lecture were talking about how the Shunt resister in parallel is typically tiny to allow the maximum current to flow through. I am still a little iffy on all the galvanometer/D'Arsonval movement stuff, but she said there wont be any workout problems on the exam tomorrow
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, my reply was geared towards the use of a DMM. I didn't realize you were talking about the analog type of meter. DMM's have the shunt built in and the meter compensates for the shunt value in it's readings. I'm sorry I haven't' worked hardly at all with those type meters, always DMM's. It sounds like you would apply a ratio when using the shunt though.

By the way I'm not an EE, so I don't have all the design knowledge. I just repaired stuff for a few years.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Ampmeters can also be clamp on type that surround the conductor with a coil to use inductance to read the amperage flowing through the wire instead of interupting the circuit and having the current flow through the meter.
That's how we take readings on large conductors in the electrical business.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
This guy can tell you ALL about it....
http://www.shealey.org/cooked.wmv
yes he can and plus one for you for the visual in your lecture