Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Abandoned Highway

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Abandoned Highway

So I was looking over this section of google maps where a nice off road trail is and I ended up finding an interesting feature.

The red circle is the feature that interested me because I knew there was no body of water there. The straight line that runs from north west to south east of the red circle I knew were powerlines.

So I parked my truck in the national forest, contemplated trying to navigate through power line right-of-way with the tacoma, but ultimately decided to hike. I made it about .75 - 1 mile and came across the landmark I had mentally memorized: where the power lines veer to the left and the main highway becomes visible.

I stood for a moment completely lost in thought trying to navigate in the middle of the national forest when I saw it...a small patch of barely visible pavement sticking out from the debris, along with a bunch of old bottles.

I now present to you (sorry the camera didn't function too well in low light):

The Abandoned Highway

Old stretch of guardrail. Just some wood posts with extremely thin metal sheet nailed to it

Finally the end, where it appeared the old pavement was burried enough for grass to completely cover it:

My Yetti-like pic

Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Great find Dgerm. Probably the original road, and when the interstste was put in they took the sharp turn out.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That is great work.

Out here we have a bunch of old RR grades and I have been able to locate them with old maps. Also you can see alot of the old highways sitting right next to the new ones.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Neat.... Mysterious stuff like that is interesting and even more interesting to find the history.

You should try to dig up some history on it. When was it made? Why was it abandoned?
I love this kind of stuff. I live for trying to find it. OTG answered part of your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Great find Dgerm. Probably the original road, and when the interstste was put in they took the sharp turn out.
That is right, it was a somewhat dangerous, curvy, 2 lane moutain highway. It was replaced by rt. 460, a two lane divided highway, which is the only major highway I still have to downshift to make it up since switching to 93 octane, which gives you an idea of the grade and conditions.

Back to Janster: I did some research and found this on wikipedia

Quote:
Most of present US 460 or its former alignments was part of the initial state highway system defined in 1918. Specifically, the following pieces existed:[1]
That is the section that was built to replace the road I was on. However some evidence makes me believe that it was still in use after rt 460 opened, because there were some relatively unaged National Forest signs on the side of the road that I will try and get pics of next time I head out.

I plan on stopping by the local ranger station to get more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Red Taco View Post
That is great work.

Out here we have a bunch of old RR grades and I have been able to locate them with old maps. Also you can see alot of the old highways sitting right next to the new ones.
Speaking of, I found some neat features a few miles away along the New River that look like old railroad tracks. I asked an anonymous acquaintance about them and he wound up posting some pics.

I say anonymous because a lot of the places we visit aren't exactly legal, but the pull to explore is too great to resist visiting them.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
These are the tunnels I want to go and try to find

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...02414&t=h&z=19
Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
thumbs up on the discovery, that is really cool. I wish I had two more hands, I would give those pictures FOUR THUMBS DOWN! j/k!

Haha thanks, the girlfriends camera did not want to cooperate in the low light of evening
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, but this reminds me of horror movies like Wrong Turn.Were you scared?j/k
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
My other car is a Bugatti
steelerfan7p will become famous soon enough

Name: Yes
Location: Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champions)
steelerfan7p's Tacoma Gallery
Thats pretty cool. A lot of the 4 wheeler trails I ride on are old county routes that are like 100-200 years old that horses and buggies rode on. Nice find!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I am going to the local ranger station and ask them if there is any way I can get my tacoma down there for a photo op
Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
My other car is a Bugatti
steelerfan7p will become famous soon enough

Name: Yes
Location: Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champions)
steelerfan7p's Tacoma Gallery
It would be cool to build a house back there and the old road could be your driveway. Very secluded.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan7p View Post
It would be cool to build a house back there and the old road could be your driveway. Very secluded.
In fact there is. Look at the satellite image. Just below the gravel road where the text is printed as "Forest Service Road" there is a nice, HUGE house that borders the national forest
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet find. I'd take some friends there at night and scare the living day lights out of them. Hope that ranger says yes to your photo op. Tell him you're doing research.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Sweet find. I'd take some friends there at night and scare the living day lights out of them. Hope that ranger says yes to your photo op. Tell him you're doing research.
I did and got a ton more pictures that aren't blurry
Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link to a site that is great for finding abandoned airfields.
I can spend all day looking at this.
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/