Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Winter climbing

Old 12-22-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Winter climbing

One of the things I like to do is some winter Mountaineering.Every January or February a few of my buddies and I take a trip to the White Mountains in NH and do some climbing.Sometimes the weather can get a little challenging,for example,two years ago we turned back about two hours from the summit of Mt.Washington due to 100+ mph winds and temps near -70 with the wind.

Here is a pic of myself on the left and my good buddy Pete on the summit of Mt.Adams.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter climbing-9ea5re2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
No thanks man,I climed up a small mountain in AZ with a friend,I was almost certain we were gonna need a helicopter to get me down, I made it down though. Continue to use good judgement and be safe.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
More power to you. I like climbing, but, I prefer less than 500 foot faces. And, am often times quite content in the local rock gym. I'll leave the mountains, (particularly in winter) to those who are more tallented than I.

But I am impressed, even if it's not for me.

Stay safe.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I climbed Mt.Washington a few times but only when it was warm. We got lucky one time and had a clear day, saw Boston, Canada, and the ocean from one spot. I think I ate about 5000 calories that day and was still hungry. I hope to go back there this summer, we kind of get a calling; by the way my favorite restaurant is the Red Jacket, and we stay at the Tuckermines Inn, which also has some damn good eats. I have no pix of our climbs, but do we have great memories.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Question squad314

A couple years ago I had some alignments to do on a crane.I mentioned I wasn`t thrilled about heights to a co-worker,he thought that was strange since I would ride my sportbike near 200 mph.Would you go that fast on two wheels? Just curious.Funny how different things bug people out.BTY sold that damn thing,couldn`t go to the corner store w/out doing 160 (Highway2).
Old 12-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
I wasn`t thrilled about heights to a co-worker,he thought that was strange since I would ride my sportbike near 200 mph.
I hear you. I too have no problem doing 200 mph on two wheels whizzing past highway traffic or standing in front of a loaded gun to save the life of a total stranger but I totally refuse to step onto the bucket of a boom (Genie) even with all the safety harnesses under the sun. Go figure.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
A couple years ago I had some alignments to do on a crane.I mentioned I wasn`t thrilled about heights to a co-worker,he thought that was strange since I would ride my sportbike near 200 mph.Would you go that fast on two wheels? Just curious.Funny how different things bug people out.BTY sold that damn thing,couldn`t go to the corner store w/out doing 160 (Highway2).
Actually tacotoe,I have.I had a Ninja 1000R back in the day and spent a fair amount of time in the redline on that thing.I think the fastest bike I've ridden would be an R1 or a CBR 929...those things are fast and made my old Ninja feel like a shopping cart.I gave up on Sort bikes after a couple of near-misses and rode Harley's until I sold my last one in '01.Heights have never particularily bothered me and I've been in some precarious spots with work....Having said that,fear is a strange thing.I find that the older I get,the less nerve I have for certain activities.For instance,last summer 4 friends and I set out in our sea Kayaks for a three mile open crossing in the bay of fundy to a series of islands.As we prepared for the trip I found myself getting increasingly nervous.Now in this group I was the least experienced in open water,but I'm a pretty good paddler with good skills, a strong roll and I'm a very confident swimmer.All that aside,halfway across I started really getting freaked out.It was completely irrational and I can only chalk it up to the ugly feeling of vulnerability.To make matters worse,the seas came up on the trip home and I struggled with that nagging panic.Fortunately I kept it together and got through it but as a result I haven't been in open water in my Kayak since and have no plans to.

I don't think any of us is truely fearless.Some push boundries alot farthur than others but I have to imagine we all have our "thing"...........Interesting topic tacotoe.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies..I wish I never would have brought up that crane though..I had to go back up on that thing just today (no joke)..Crane needs an upgrade to be able to pick 193TON.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

Firefighter:
Quote:
Crane needs an upgrade to be able to pick 193TON.
Holy Moley!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, my buddy brian and I have been talking about doing Mt. Washington in the winter (his father does it every year). We do a lot of the local mountains, and I climb what I can find when I'm abroad, like up in Greenland. Hiked the Polar Ice Caps, Been to Both North, and South Pole (Within 6 months of each other). Although I hiked a lot less in Antarctica (working 12 hour days, 6 days out of 7 gets tiring), lol.

Heres me chillin with the locals: