1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter climbing

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by squad314, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:53 AM
    squad314

squad314 [OP] Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    One of the things I like to do is some winter Mountaineering.Every January or February a few of my buddies and I take a trip to the White Mountains in NH and do some climbing.Sometimes the weather can get a little challenging,for example,two years ago we turned back about two hours from the summit of Mt.Washington due to 100+ mph winds and temps near -70 with the wind.:eek:

Here is a pic of myself on the left and my good buddy Pete on the summit of Mt.Adams.

9ea5re2.jpg

2. Dec 22, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    No thanks man,I climed up a small mountain in AZ with a friend,I was almost certain we were gonna need a helicopter to get me down, I made it down though. Continue to use good judgement and be safe.

3. Dec 22, 2007 at 1:45 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    More power to you. I like climbing, but, I prefer less than 500 foot faces. And, am often times quite content in the local rock gym. I'll leave the mountains, (particularly in winter) to those who are more tallented than I.

But I am impressed, even if it's not for me.

Stay safe.

4. Dec 22, 2007 at 3:01 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    My wife and I climbed Mt.Washington a few times but only when it was warm. We got lucky one time and had a clear day, saw Boston, Canada, and the ocean from one spot. I think I ate about 5000 calories that day and was still hungry. I hope to go back there this summer, we kind of get a calling; by the way my favorite restaurant is the Red Jacket, and we stay at the Tuckermines Inn, which also has some damn good eats. I have no pix of our climbs, but do we have great memories. :thumbsup:

5. Dec 23, 2007 at 5:18 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    A couple years ago I had some alignments to do on a crane.I mentioned I wasn`t thrilled about heights to a co-worker,he thought that was strange since I would ride my sportbike near 200 mph.Would you go that fast on two wheels? Just curious.Funny how different things bug people out.BTY sold that damn thing,couldn`t go to the corner store w/out doing 160 (Highway2).

6. Dec 23, 2007 at 5:44 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I hear you. I too have no problem doing 200 mph on two wheels whizzing past highway traffic or standing in front of a loaded gun to save the life of a total stranger but I totally refuse to step onto the bucket of a boom (Genie) even with all the safety harnesses under the sun. Go figure.

7. Dec 23, 2007 at 5:59 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    Actually tacotoe,I have.I had a Ninja 1000R back in the day and spent a fair amount of time in the redline on that thing.I think the fastest bike I've ridden would be an R1 or a CBR 929...those things are fast and made my old Ninja feel like a shopping cart.I gave up on Sort bikes after a couple of near-misses and rode Harley's until I sold my last one in '01.Heights have never particularily bothered me and I've been in some precarious spots with work....Having said that,fear is a strange thing.I find that the older I get,the less nerve I have for certain activities.For instance,last summer 4 friends and I set out in our sea Kayaks for a three mile open crossing in the bay of fundy to a series of islands.As we prepared for the trip I found myself getting increasingly nervous.Now in this group I was the least experienced in open water,but I'm a pretty good paddler with good skills, a strong roll and I'm a very confident swimmer.All that aside,halfway across I started really getting freaked out.It was completely irrational and I can only chalk it up to the ugly feeling of vulnerability.To make matters worse,the seas came up on the trip home and I struggled with that nagging panic.Fortunately I kept it together and got through it but as a result I haven't been in open water in my Kayak since and have no plans to.

I don't think any of us is truely fearless.Some push boundries alot farthur than others but I have to imagine we all have our "thing"...........Interesting topic tacotoe.

8. Dec 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Thanks for the replies..I wish I never would have brought up that crane though..I had to go back up on that thing just today (no joke)..Crane needs an upgrade to be able to pick 193TON.

9. Dec 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    Holy Moley!:eek:

10. Mar 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Hmm, my buddy brian and I have been talking about doing Mt. Washington in the winter (his father does it every year). We do a lot of the local mountains, and I climb what I can find when I'm abroad, like up in Greenland. Hiked the Polar Ice Caps, Been to Both North, and South Pole (Within 6 months of each other). Although I hiked a lot less in Antarctica (working 12 hour days, 6 days out of 7 gets tiring), lol.

Heres me chillin with the locals:
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top