Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Best Road Bicycle?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Best Road Bicycle?

Hey guys, I am trying to narrow down my options for a good road bicycle. I don't know much about the components... I just get on and go. I've been cycling 60+ miles a week, and the bike I have (Trek 7200FX) is just too heavy and I like the curved handle bars better. I am trying to get up to 60+ mile rides, so a lighter bike is what I'm going for.

I've been looking at the Trek 1000, Trek 1.2 and the Giant OCR2. Trek has always been my preference, but I have heard that Treks don't come with the best components . Anyway, input would be very helpful!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
begs the question -
how much money do you want to spend ? -
lighter is more $$$
frame sets and groupos can add big bucks -
think 3 - 5 K -
a good, aluminum/ carbon frame with a good, mid groupo will cost around 1,200
there is a lot of information out there and you also should find a good LBS
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
There isn't a best. Preference plays the biggest part. But, budget is the biggest question. Road biking seems to be a weight to dollar game. To drop ounces you wind up spending hundreads of dollars. Also, are you just doing road biking, or are you training for a triathalon. If the later is the case, then tri-bikes will be a preferred option, since they put your legs in a different position.

I ride a specialized Allez. Its a decent bike, weight isn't huge issue for me (its around 19.5 lbs I'm at 205) I could easily drop 20lbs of body weight for less money than dropping 4 pounds off this bike.

I think the biggest improvement you will see in upgrading components on a road bike is in the wheel set. Dropping the weight there and having a nice hub will save lots of energy in your legs over 60 miles. But you are also going to pay handsomely for really nice wheel sets.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Trek makes all levels of bike fromlow end to full race with the best components. The TDF was won on one this year. Like has been stated it's all about how much $$$$$ you want to spend.
I'm partial to my Serotta Ti with full Dura-Ace. would cost me over $8000 to replace it with a new model.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like I need to start saving some money!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i have a trek 6700. im no lance armstrong so spending $5 grand on a bike is out of the question. i paid a grand for mine and it does the job.got front shocks,street tires,and my bitching scwhinn trailer.

maybe this would work.lol
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
I got a road bike back in '05. Rode it for a long time before I moved. The new environment is not conducive to riding at this location so I sold it to my brother but I loved it. It was a Specialized Allez (sp?) for about a grand. Not sure what they go for now, but, unless you're trying to go Tour de France then I wouldn't spend more than about 1k anyways. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
leader makes great bikes and so does marin....

i highly recommend marin
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
deadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tim
deadphish28's Tacoma Gallery
Ill sell you this for 1000 bucks. Only has 30 miles on it. Not sure the size I traded my downhill intense mountain bike for it. Im 5'10 and it fits me just right, dont have the time to ride it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Road Bicycle?-5340_100724306607421_100000095556325_17886_8321047_n.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Having been a serious cyclist for over 25 years I can tell you that cheap bikes are much harder to ride than higher end bikes.
You can find a used higher quality bike for much less than a new one.
Shop around and test ride lot's of stuff then look for what you can afford.
Sometimes a lower priced bike has the same frame as the higher end model just lower end components.
Just because you aren't racing the tour doesn't mean you won't benefit from a great bike.
I stopped racing over 10 years ago but the good stuff keeps me into cycling and competative with friends that do race.
There are millions of cheap bikes that get ridden a little and hang in the garage after the owner figures out this stuff is hard.
Ride, enjoy and ask lots of questions.