LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Catapult Design Help

Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Catapult Design Help

I need some help with the design of a catapult for a school project if any one has any experience or advice on one. There are only a couple of rules: can be 50cm x 50cm x 100cm max, must be gravity powered, and must have a remote trigger. I think it needs to throw about 30yds accuratly. I also need it to be pretty simple to build because I don't have a lot of time.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
The "gravity powered" aspect of this is the "gotcha". I have built a bunch, usually a LOT bigger than that. Because of that gotcha, you are going to need to go with one of the counter-weighted designs. Fortunately for you, there's plenty of plans online. The remote trigger is usually just a length of rope to release it. Think of a teeter-totter type design...

Have fun. This is a great project.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, start here for TONS of info on gravity powered siege weapons, including the classic trebuchet. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...15299a959dbb33
Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I think I know what I am going to build, But I am kinda looking for some tips. One thing I would really like to know is where to place the hole in the arm for the pivot. what ratio five you the best distance.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Where is Chris 4x4 when you need him...
Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
I think I know what I am going to build, But I am kinda looking for some tips. One thing I would really like to know is where to place the hole in the arm for the pivot. what ratio five you the best distance.
http://andypsionfan.users.btopenworld.com/trebdrop.html

http://thehurl.wikidot.com/tuning
http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/other/trebuchet.html
http://www.penguinslab.com/trebuchet.htm

Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Where is Chris 4x4 when you need him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
I thought that too, than I thought he might use it to take out California.
LOL!

Actually, WATRD covered it...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LOL!

Actually, WATRD covered it...
I figured you couldn't really be on here 24x7 like they say... so I could pinch-hit until you arrived

It's all yours from here...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATRD View Post
I figured you couldn't really be on here 24x7 like they say... so I could pinch-hit until you arrived

It's all yours from here...
You hit it with the trebuchet. Though, given the size limits, Im not sure it will throw an object the required distance.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely build a trebuchet. Takes some calibration and adjusting to get it to release at the right time, but when you do, its dead on accurate and gets good distance.