Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #41
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I went camping last night, and obviously needed coffee this morning, and found my normal household coffee maker plugged into the outlet in the bed worked, but it was slower, and I had to reset it twice for a full pot.

how do you guys do camp coffee? I want a way to make it quick for hunting trips too.
I heat water on camp fire or stove and use a french press
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #42
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went camping last night, and obviously needed coffee this morning, and found my normal household coffee maker plugged into the outlet in the bed worked, but it was slower, and I had to reset it twice for a full pot.

how do you guys do camp coffee? I want a way to make it quick for hunting trips too.
Boil water, let it cool for about 2 minutes and then add these: Folgers Classic Roast Instant Coffee Single Serve Packets.

They're good.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".
Jib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant futureJib Bandits has a brilliant future

Army: 99Z Combat Ninja
Name: Ari
Jib Bandits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Boil water, let it cool for about 2 minutes and then add these: Folgers Classic Roast Instant Coffee Single Serve Packets.

They're good.
Yepp, that's what I use for camping; small, quick, and awesome!

Back to the topic of Jerry rigging things while camping, instead of buying a 200 dollar roof rack awning (although I'd LOVE to get one) I just use some 550 cord and a big tarp, tie one end to my roof rack and secure the other to a tree or something (or PVC pipe I bring along if I know it's a desert like area) and voila! Cheap but effective awning. I'll have to get some pictures more often to put in this thread
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm sure this one is widely known especially in the hunters of us, forget your TP and out away from truck and camp? My family knows what happened when I come back with 1 sock or no socks
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #46
Deadcrowm is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Mike
Deadcrowm's Tacoma Gallery
Made this for shade while camping...
Attached Thumbnails
The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-image.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #47
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
The Boy Scouts made me sleep in a trash bag tent
haha, now you know if you have a trash bag your're going to be ok. What else did they make you do...

Quote:
I use my faithful perculator, on a small one burner attatchment on a little propane tank. So small and simple I keep it in my ALICE pack. We also have a coleman coffee maker (big like in your house) that goes above a flame, but the perculator gets hot quicker, plus you can use the perc to heat water, use as a cup, make soup in, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
I use one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Lightw...portable+stove

with this - http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Anod...nsport+cookset

A bottle of water and then some folgers instant coffee teabag lookin things. works awesome and its small enough to stash in a backpack and forget about till I want coffee. and as much of a coffee snob as I am, there's not much better than a nice cup of folgers instant when you're deep in the woods enjoying the morning chill.
Your first link is like my $7 Walmart one, but yours is definitely nicer. Since i carry mine in my backpack I want to look into a lighter one for hiking, mines on the heavy and bulky side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
I heat water on camp fire or stove and use a french press
What's a french press?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib Bandits View Post
Yepp, that's what I use for camping; small, quick, and awesome!

Back to the topic of Jerry rigging things while camping, instead of buying a 200 dollar roof rack awning (although I'd LOVE to get one) I just use some 550 cord and a big tarp, tie one end to my roof rack and secure the other to a tree or something (or PVC pipe I bring along if I know it's a desert like area) and voila! Cheap but effective awning. I'll have to get some pictures more often to put in this thread
having shade where there isn't any is important. I made a roof rack with a aluminum top piece for shade for my dog, and am going to run 2 pieces of tubing down the side that will swing out and pin out, then a small tarp will attach with ball bunjee's. A simple awning. I'll post a pic when I make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
Well I'm sure this one is widely known especially in the hunters of us, forget your TP and out away from truck and camp? My family knows what happened when I come back with 1 sock or no socks
lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcrowm View Post
Made this for shade while camping...
Sweet! That's deeelux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoson View Post
I came up with something we simply call the rope. I got tired of trying to squat in the woods trying to drop a deuce and not dropping a spike into my pants. Leaning against a tree is fine until you try to stand yourself up without shuffling one of your feet into your pile.

The Rope is... well... an length of rope. It has a carabiner on each end and a piece of foam pipe insulation or hollow pool noodle threaded onto it. You also thread the toilet paper onto the rope so they are always together.

Basicly when it's time to drop anchor you find a sturdy tree, put the insulation across you back, swing the rope around around the tree and clip the biners together. Then you lean back and do you stuff. When you are finished you can use the rope to pull yourself to the standing position.

The only problem is the women around camp get horrified whenever someone heads to the woods with the rope over their shoulder.
hahahaha, I'd laugh my ass off if I saw someone in that thing!

UPDATE:
Here are few more inventions I've been forced to come up with...

1) Lowered rack to save gas and slow cook.
2) Wind block for Trenton when he was small.
3) Toy hanger for Trenton when he was small.
4) Hillbilly clothes line for Trenton.
5) Hillbilly bath tub for Trenton. Water is from my black plastic military issue water cans that are warmed by the sun...nice & warm!
6) Tent inside a tent with heater for Trenton when he was small on a chilly trip. I was jealous, his tent stayed nice and warm at night!
7) Bunjee cord kickstand for ALICE pack to keep it upright so I can get into it easily.
Attached Thumbnails
The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-9-8-12-003.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-4-2-12-047.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-4-2-12-046.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-9-8-12-004.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-9-8-12-010.jpg  

The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-4-2-12-043.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-9-8-12-038.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #48
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Been there done that multiple times. No wonder I've so many socks missing mates.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #49
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Do a google image search for french press, there's a billion of em.

One of my newest acquisitions is a double pie Pie Iron. Got mine from Cabela's.
Last offroad trip I was on, I used bread, cheese, apple pie filling, and the campfire.
I made cheese sandwiches for dinner and had apple pie for dessert!

Another one is credit to Benson X - he taught me how to make biscuit condoms. Besides the priceless innuendo around the fire, they are useful and taste good:

1 cannister of instant biscuits
1 sheet of tinfoil
1 stick, about the girth of... well... you know...

Wrap end of stick with tinfoil
mash a biscuit flat into a mini-pizza looking thing
wrap the flat biscuit onto the tinfoil end of the stick so it makes the condom
cook over the fire

Once it's done, you can slip it off the stick and fill it with jam, a hot dog, or whatever -

For the few of you who aren't the brightest, remember it's hot, so don't try using it as a real condom.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #50
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
UPDATE:
Here are few more inventions I've been forced to come up with...

1) Lowered rack to save gas and slow cook.
5) Hillbilly bath tub for Trenton. Water is from my black plastic military issue water cans that are warmed by the sun...nice & warm!
I like what you did there with your Camp Chef stove! They're awesome stoves I have a tipple burner and I love it.

The bath tub is great too!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #51
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From many years of camping off of a motorcycle I learned to keep my old worn out socks and underware. I pack them for the trip and if the need arises they can be used and thrown away. Plus it reduces your pack as you go. Just don't let my Mom know I have on holey underware (never know when you can be carted off to the hospital)
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My Easter 3-29-13 / 4-1-13 trip...

Had to come up with a few creative inventions again this trip.

PICS 1-2
My wife brought two LED solar candles and my son broke one. To keep the wife happy I salvaged the broken one and performed some creative arts & crafts on it with duct tape. a pine cone and pine needles.

PICS 3-6
My wife was charging her phone and her kindle from the cigarette port on my truck and there are no power ports. This drained my starting battery, but I'm able to jump start myself with my auxiliary battery, but didn't have to, it cranked slow but started like a good companion should.

So while in town, I stopped by NAPA but they didn't have any ports I could hard wire in. They only had one with multiple holes but it required being plugged into a power source.

Rather than cut up the wiring on the new port adapter, I chose to simply use connectors and tape them on for this trip. The wires go to my aftermarket fuse panel that powers all of my accessories from my yellow top Optima. Now she can charge away since it's good for this battery to get drained down. This awesome battery is 19 years old and works like new.

PIC 7
On our bike ride we rode through a place that required the dog being on a leash, so I used a velcro thing I wrap around my pants to keep them out of the chain, and also used my belt I was wearing to extend it.

PIC 8
BBQ covers for bikes
Attached Thumbnails
The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-1-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-2-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-3-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-4-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-5-.jpg  

The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-6-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-7-.jpg   The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-3-31-13-8-.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #53
LizellaFella has a spectacular aura aboutLizellaFella has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: AF Civil Service, Marines and US Army Reserve/DA
Name: Eddie
LizellaFella's Tacoma Gallery
camping mcgyver

well, not really.... more like a tip. Instead of trying to start a campfire using tinder, paper, or kindling, take along a small bag of match lite charcoal or the like. It burns hotter and longer than other items to get the fire going, even on damp wood. Plus, if you can't get the wood to burn, at least the charcoal will provide heat for a while.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizellaFella View Post
well, not really.... more like a tip. Instead of trying to start a campfire using tinder, paper, or kindling, take along a small bag of match lite charcoal or the like. It burns hotter and longer than other items to get the fire going, even on damp wood. Plus, if you can't get the wood to burn, at least the charcoal will provide heat for a while.
That's a great tip. My friend made off with my soldering kit, so I bought a new propane torch & bottle for $14 and use it on the Match Light for BBQ, the fireplace in the house, and also stuck bolts and nuts.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #55
mabbott is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fire Fighter / Paramedic
mabbott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I went hunting by myself years ago and forgot silverware. I had to carve a spoon out of wood with my knife to eat a can of chili. Does that count?
couldn't you have just us ethe knife ? lol
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #56
pipelayer_99 is on a distinguished road
pipelayer_99's Tacoma Gallery
For the coffee situation, brew it at home, let it cool and put it in a plastic container. Heat it up in a tea kettle and you are ready to go.

I don't have any pics of these yet but I will this weekend.
#1 took a 5 gallon bucket and put a $6 toilet seat on it. Screwed a 2x4 to the side of the bucket then drilled 1/2 inch holes to put the plastic bolts through. The bucket holds all the weight and you can store the bags/toiler paper in it.
#2 used old fiberglass tent rods and a tarp from Harbor Freight for bathroom/shower. The rod ends go into the openings on the edge of the underside of the hood(obviously hood has to be open). Slide the tarp onto the rods and use small plastic clips to hold the tarp to the bumper of the truck. I have an extending pole that holds the edge of the rod so it doesn't sag from the weight of the tarp. We use a 2 gallon weed sprayer for the shower and a black camp shower bag to heat up the water. The weed sprayer works great to get all the dirt/sand off the kids and to spray off dishes etc. When not used for camping we use it to water plants/flowers.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #57
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
recently, i have been building every diff type of alcohol stove i can find on youtube. i fried a trout with one at 11,000 feet a few weeks ago. i need to find better containment for that HEET bottle. the OEM bottle dribbles.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #58
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics

The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371652577.013779.jpg
The Clever Camping Inventions thread..(aka: the Mc Geiver thread)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371652595.051079.jpg
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #59
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
Been there done that multiple times. No wonder I've so many socks missing mates.
WTF is wrong with you guys?!?! Pull out your knife and cut a small patch of cloth off the bottom of your t-shirt. You might stumble out of the woods looking like a pregnant Britney Spears in a belly shirt, but at least you didn't wipe athletes foot all over your asshole.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #60
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
recently, i have been building every diff type of alcohol stove i can find on youtube. i fried a trout with one at 11,000 feet a few weeks ago. i need to find better containment for that HEET bottle. the OEM bottle dribbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
THAT IS GENIUS!

Products Discussed in this Thread