Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Show off your Mountain Bike!!!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #5421
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
picked this up yesterday, pretty pumped to hit the trails!

I ride the same thing!! Df like it for tighter trails, but I'm def wanting to upgrade to a full suspension soon. But I def ride the shit out of mine. Have fun
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #5422
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I like the 29er's. it's gonna be hard to find hard tail 26 inch bikes soon.
i didn't even know what a 29er was when i was looking at bikes yesterday, guess it's the new/newer thing? didn't look right to me, wheels/tires looked to big, but i guess it is something i hadn't seen before so maybe it takes some getting used too. plus when i road one, the front tire rubbed on my shoe when i was doing a sharp turn. that was a lower end cannondale though, not sure if the expensive bikes are the same?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #5423
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I like the 29er's. it's gonna be hard to find hard tail 26 inch bikes soon.
yea im betting they get phased out within a few years from everything ive read. with the 29er's coming on strong and now the 27.5 or 650b what its called.
Ive never ridden a 29er so I have no opinion on them yet though
Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #5424
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
yea im betting they get phased out within a few years from everything ive read. with the 29er's coming on strong and now the 27.5 or 650b what its called.
Ive never ridden a 29er so I have no opinion on them yet though
Yeah I rode a Bronson 650b and liked it. But I sold all my high end bikes and just rock my trek 29er hard tail like I stole it. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
i didn't even know what a 29er was when i was looking at bikes yesterday, guess it's the new/newer thing? didn't look right to me, wheels/tires looked to big, but i guess it is something i hadn't seen before so maybe it takes some getting used too. plus when i road one, the front tire rubbed on my shoe when i was doing a sharp turn. that was a lower end cannondale though, not sure if the expensive bikes are the same?
Been riding mine for 2 years and haven't had a problem even on tight single track. But if your feet are in the wrong spot on the pedals and you have gigantic feet then it can happen on any bike. Clipless pedals will help.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #5425
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Mukluk with 29x 3.0 tires. All other bikes cower in it's shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
Show off your Mountain Bike!!!-dscn2312.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #5426
Shit'll buff out!
Codyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really nice

Name: Cody
Codyj8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
From a few races over the last 2 years. Now go ride your bike!
So focues! Lightin' up a bit haha! Wish I could find some old pictures from races.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5428
Shit'll buff out!
Codyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really niceCodyj8 is just really nice

Name: Cody
Codyj8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glueman View Post
Yeah, the last picture makes it look like my eyes are about to pop out. The picture is from the middle of a really long rock garden that was taking out racers all weekend. You had to hit it really fast to maintain your line.
Yeah rock gardens don't feel very good when you crash on them...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #5429
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuxdiesel View Post
Mukluk with 29x 3.0 tires. All other bikes cower in it's shadow.
Yeah buddy!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #5430
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Giant
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/3781024840.html
Cannondale Trail
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bik/3856336121.html
Cannondale F5
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bik/3849968436.html

Cannondale Trail 29er
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/3855501029.html

Any of these seem like a good deal?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #5431
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
None are any better than the other. The forks are pretty weak, and the drivetrain/brakes are pretty low spec. If you are using them for fire roads or bike path riding, any will be fine, but for hardcore single track trails, they will be lacking. You might check out any local mountain bike chapters for websites that have classifieds. You can find older but better spec bikes for similar money. Also look at MTBR.com - they have tons of reviews and classifieds too.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #5432

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I disagree I think they are good bikes to start you have to know you want to do it before you drop 2-5k. Just go ride them Jeremy and seed which ones you like best. Like I said a page or make two back. I sold all my high end bikes and do not race and more so I tear around on an entry level trek wahoo. Yes it's not the same the conponets are sub par, te mechanical disc brakes are not great, the front shock is my what I was use to. But it works well for me as my priorities are else where with a having a family now. Buy a cheaper one rip It to shreds and not feel bad about it.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #5433
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I disagree I think they are good bikes to start you have to know you want to do it before you drop 2-5k.
A good quality HT to start on is definitely the way to go. You will know if you want to upgrade by the trails you are riding. As said above if it is recreational riding with allot of fire roads with little technical single track then the entry level HT will suit your needs. When things start to get dicey then nothing beats a FS.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #5434
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
I know the opinions vary but would y'all recommend a 26 or 29er? I want to do anything from road to decent tails. And I'm thinking it will be a hard tail.

I'm 5'6ish" also.

Being that you are 5'6" I would probably not get a 29er. Test ride both if you can but a 29er will definitely feel bigger and with that big of wheel and that small of a frame I don't think you will like the geometry.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #5435

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
A good quality HT to start on is definitely the way to go. You will know if you want to upgrade by the trails you are riding. As said above if it is recreational riding with allot of fire roads with little technical single track then the entry level HT will suit your needs. When things start to get dicey then nothing beats a FS.
Agreed, but I ride all the epic single track rides in CO on the wahoo just fine. I liked my FS bikes but I don't miss it that much it just makes me take technical rocky sections a bit slower haha.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #5436
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot for y'all's help. I want a decent bike but i don't want to be one of those people who drop 2 grand then the damn thing sits in the shed. If I really get serious ill upgrade. The trails i would use around upstate sc I think a ht would be great.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #5437
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
i rode a lot of trails in VA and NC with a hard tail when i was stationed there and i never had any problem. but now i up here in kodiak with big mountains and some pretty rock and gnarly trails im getting beat up with my hardtail. but when i was down there i beat my cannondale and it took everything. just got to pick you line correctly.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #5438
What do you mean I can't go there?
Devilscar is on a distinguished road

Name: Thoreau
Devilscar's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Devilscar
Stumpjumper 29 Comp

I have my 3 year old or so StumpJumper 29 comp and like a 10 year old Rockhopper. My two favorite mountain bikes of all time that I ride on the hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #5439
My pee parts itch

A little bike pron: I just added a Thomson stem and Enve Carbon bars. All USA made.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #5440
My pee parts itch

My next purchase needs to be a Go Pro so if or when I run into a black bear again I can get the audio of me crying like a little girl. I rode down this trail on Friday(a trail I have ridden dozens of times) and came around a nice bermed out left hand turn and all I saw was a black furry butt running away from me about 20 feet in front. I grabbed both brakes and stopped as quick as I could. After I changed my shorts I continued on. Cautiously, of course.

Products Discussed in this Thread