Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Motorcycle

Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle

Hey guys,
I have decided to pursue my motorcycle lisence and learn how to ride. I am a beginner and have never ridden. My question is...after I get it all done what is a good cheap starter bike that will last me a few years. I was looking at a Honda Rebel and saw em go for roughly 2-3K. Any suggestions on bikes or even any tips for riding from the moto world of TW would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Are you taking a MSF course? If not, do that first!

What kind of bike are you looking for? Sport or cruiser?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
Are you taking a MSF course? If not, do that first!

What kind of bike are you looking for? Sport or cruiser?
x200000000
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am taking a private beginner lesson/lisence package. First day is 3 hrs of classroom time. I am also taking a BRC thru the military in May.
Cruiser type.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTX82 View Post
I am taking a private beginner lesson/lisence package. First day is 3 hrs of classroom time. I am also taking a BRC thru the military in May.
That's good you are getting in some proper lessons.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

The yamaha vstar 650 is a good bike. Basically anything in the 600 range is a good starter bike for a cruiser
Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Harley sportster 883xl. If you get an older model you can always bob it out for cheap.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
if you have any ability at all, DO NOT GET A REBEL, you will be kicking rocks at it in a week. get 600cc and up in any cruiser, and 600cc and smaller in the sport bike. the sportster 1200 isnt as big as others says it is, i had one, it was fun but far from too powerful, as a matter of fact it was the bike my wife took her riders edge class on and pass on her first go around, and that was her first powerd bike ever.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Moose

Whats the problem with the Rebel? Doesnt ride well or something else?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
way way way under powered. others will say no it isnt, but like i say if, you have any ability you will get real bored with it. im 5'11" 175lbs and its too small for me. but then again i thought the sporty 1200 was small. if you are going to be on the highway at all, i would not recomend it. my honda shadow 600cc topped out at 79mph, not that speed is everything, but come on. on the other hand, if you are bran spankin new, nervous, never rode a dirt bike, or live in a small po-dunk town, then it would be a nice starter bike, just buy used cause you will be selling it.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #11
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
We had to ride Honda Rebels at my MSF cert class. Fun little bike, good for beginners but you will out grow it in 2days! I agree with the others, something in the 600 range will keep you 'up to speed' for a while you get comfortable riding in traffic. You'll probably end up going bigger in a couple years but I do not recommend buying a bigger bike to learn on now. There is a learning curve up to the bigger bikes.

More power is actually a safe advantage in traffic... too much in beginner hands is not a safe advantage. 600 is the sweet spot on the street IMO. But if you plan on cruising highways mostly, 600 is on the small side for sure.

I do agree on buying a used bike for the first one, figure out what you really want in a bike (it will change after you've ridden a year, trust me) then buy a new one.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Take the MSF course. It's the best thing going and if you are in California you won't need to take the DMV road test to get a license.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
The yamaha vstar 650 is a good bike. Basically anything in the 600 range is a good starter bike for a cruiser
Agreed. This was my second street bike when I was 16. It was a great bike. You may want to consider the 1100 though. Little easier cruising for the highway. Stay away from the rebel. Too small. A Yamaha, Honda, or Kawasaki cruiser would be a first good bike. Then when your balls drop, get a harley
Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the MSF courses. I took a MSF advanced refresher when I got back into riding a couple of years ago.

The Honda Nighthawk 650 is a great first bike, depending on where you are they go used under 2k. I also rode a Yamaha Radian 600 which was an awesome bike that I wish I never sold, hard to find now used. The V stars are nice too, my friend who was getting back into riding bought one but he out grew it & upped to a Kawasaki Meanstreak.

I do agree the Rebels are easily outgrown but get what feels right for you. Take your time for it is you that has to ride it and feel comfortable. If it doesn't feel comfortable not moving on it, it won't feel good on the road. Wish you the best in finding your first bike.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Semperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Recon Batt.
Semperfi's Tacoma Gallery
I have been riding a long time. The best advice I can give is watch every other vehicle on the road and have an escape plan. Pretend everyone out there is trying to kill you. I ride a Harley with loud pipes. (Loud pipes saves lives)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
Moose

I was looking at the HD Sportster 883 as well as the HD Sportster 1200. I was looking at the late 90s models and early 2000s but the dealerships dont carry old bikes like that. Where can I look for those bikes. I know private sellers have em for sale but Im kinda weary of the private sellers and prefer a dealer certified bike.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTX82 View Post
I was looking at the HD Sportster 883 as well as the HD Sportster 1200. I was looking at the late 90s models and early 2000s but the dealerships dont carry old bikes like that. Where can I look for those bikes. I know private sellers have em for sale but Im kinda weary of the private sellers and prefer a dealer certified bike.
i sold my sportster last year for 5500 and it was pimped out 1250 kit and cams wheelie's were no prob for it
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
i sold my sportster last year for 5500 and it was pimped out 1250 kit and cams wheelie's were no prob for it
So you would recommend it?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i liked mine alot it was slammed too had about a one inch travel shock in the rear