1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scuba Divers?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by C17Guy, May 16, 2010.

1. May 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
  2. May 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    NAZ

NAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD
    Toytec 3in lift American Racing Chambers 16x8 4.5 bs 285/75 BFG All-Terrains A.R.E. Camper Shell Surco Safari Rack Hella 500 hi-lift/shovel some black stuff...
    Im not sure about brand names and such, but that is an amazing price for all of that gear. Nice regulators alone are almost a thousand new.... I just got certified through PADI a couple months ago.

3. May 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Cool deal, I just wanna make sure I'm not getting ripped. But for $3 fiddy, that ain't bad. Guy is part of the rescue diving squad out here and has new top of the line gear. I just want something to experiment with, do some spear fishing and such.

4. May 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Dacor is a big name. Good gear. I'd go make sure it's in good condition and see how many dives it's been used on because that's VERY cheap.

5. May 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    yea, the guy said the last service was two years ago and that he only had a couple dives. he said he was very anal about taking care of everything and making sure things were cleaned after every dive.

i guess i'm concerned about the age. do these things last if taken care of? i'm gonna meet up with the guy tomorrow and drop them off at my local shop and have everything inspected.

6. May 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Yea I mean check for dry rot and look at the mouth pieces on both regulators making sure they are in good condition and not cracked, things like that.

7. May 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Let's see. After almost 26 years of diving, commercially and body recovery, I have found that there are three words you never want to use together. They are "cheap" and "scuba gear." Be cautious about the age of ANY gear you buy. For me, I need gear that functions as well at 30ft as it does at 250ft. The brands I will only use are ScubaPro and Atomic. Invest as much money as you can afford in a regulator, and a little less on the rest. If your regulator fails there is not much else that will save you. Especially when spearfishing. The majority of the time when we're fishing in the gulf you don't even see your buddy except on the boat. I'm not saying the gear is crap, just be cautious. I used to use Dacor 10-12 years ago, but they started going down hill. That's why I went with Scubapro and Dacor. Check out www.leisurepro.com cause you may be able to buy new stuff. I have bought several things from them.

8. May 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:

I totally agree with you. And I'm taking everything to a friend of a friend that owns one of our local dives shops here and have everything inspected. I'm kinda going on a limb and trusting the guy since hes on the county dive squad, but none the less will get everything inspected. I figured it would be a good start and if I need to, I can also spring up for a better regulator or what not.

9. May 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    C17Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    For you experienced guys,

Any recommendations on a dive computer? Thanks!

10. May 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Suunto is the brand I like. Not expensive and pretty easy to use. I don't dive too often so I don't need to spend a bunch on one.

EDIT: To add. I wear a watch style computer and not part of my gear.

11. May 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Computers are what they are. the fewer the buttons the easier the are to work. Just be sure to get one that will do Nitrox because you will eventually be breathing Nitrox if you dive enough. It's alot safer than straight compressed air.

12. Jun 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    I know I am jumping in a little late, but I would steer clear of any Dacor regulators not made in the last 5 years or so. Dacor got bought out by Mares and Mares stopped providing parts for the older Dacor regs. I know they stopped making parts for the Enduros and Quantums and there are several other models as well that parts are no longer available for. Scubapro and Atomic are great regs, but I also have had great success with Zeagle and Sherwood. I have a 20+ year old Sherwood that still performs great and a relatively new set of Zeagles that are out of this world! The key thing is, whatever you buy, take care of it. If you buy used, unless you can verify that it has been serviced recently, get it checked out. Most shops charge about $50.00 + parts for a service. When you are at 100' and you reg craps out due to lack of maintenance, $50-$85 will not seem like a lot of money!

Enjoy!

Taco 422 likes this.
  13. Feb 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    FTB530

FTB530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,
    ANy time you buy ANY used scuba gear take it to a dive shop for inspection and repair before using it, COMPUTER . i have a suunto cobra and i love it,

14. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    www.scubatoys.com has cheaper prices than leisurepro and from my experience as well as advice from friends, stay far far away from leisurepro...they like to fuck ppl in the ass. If you use scubatoys email them and tell them you are a member of scubaboard and they will give you a 15% discount.

I love zeagle regs, all I have ever owned. I ditched the traditional BCD and moved to a BPW which is a back plate and wing. I purchased mine from deep sea supply after a lot of research.

15. Feb 3, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    BTWNaRock&aHardplace

BTWNaRock&aHardplace Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DW
    47°47’47”N 123°41’41”W
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD
    a cb radio and 2 baby seats
    BUMP from the crypt....

BnManta.jpg

16. Feb 28, 2023 at 8:58 PM
    Taco 422

Taco 422 Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2 AC v6 TRD SR5 Prerunner
    Shearwater is the option. Everything else is meh.

17. Feb 28, 2023 at 8:59 PM
    Taco 422

Taco 422 Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2 AC v6 TRD SR5 Prerunner
    I've had awesome experiences with Atomic, Scubapro, Sherwood (the old made in USA stuff) and Kirby Morgan.

Products Discussed in

To Top