Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Sports, Hobbies & Interests (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sports-hobbies-interests/)
-   -   The "Official" Runners thread... (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sports-hobbies-interests/201127-official-runners-thread.html)

The Driver 01-28-2012 10:08 AM

The "Official" Runners thread...

Hey I searched and could not find another one...

Any way, anyone else into running around here?

The Driver 01-28-2012 02:45 PM

For the record, I have completed: Seven Half marathons, Four 15K's, Six 10K's and Six 5K's.

My first half and my latest 10K were both Trail Races. I enjoy running on trails far more than any other type of running... Unless of course I happen to be home in FL. Then running barefoot on sand is my true running passion, specially during a thunderstorm. Words can't describe the high I get when running @ the beach, barefoot and during a thunderstorm!

Come on, 30 lurkers? I'm sure I ain't the only runner in here...

The Driver 01-28-2012 02:49 PM

I've ran on Fernandina Beach, awesome place for beach running!

Twice I was supposed to do the Jax 15K, so that I could get the darn all three 15K medals, oh well!

Welcome aboard!

The Driver 01-28-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4450069)
fernandina beach is pretty, my dad lived in the plantation (beach access to the south end) for a while and i ran on the beach in the mornings when i visited him and he would always walk there when he got the chance
ran a couple of 5ks in downtown jax, the marathon is pretty cool i go and watch when i can. it's a good city for running, lots of bridges.

Not to knock Tulsa, I actually kinda like it out here, but I know, trust me, I know... :(

BenJammn5 01-28-2012 03:12 PM

Did a fair amount of running last year. Was up to 10 miles and my goal is to enter a half marathon! I should just do it.

Running in the rain is awesome, completely agree as the rush multiplies!

The Driver 01-28-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJammn5 (Post 4450140)
Did a fair amount of running last year. Was up to 10 miles and my goal is to enter a half marathon! I should just do it.

Running in the rain is awesome, completely agree as the rush multiplies!

How'd U know? U live in "The Whales Vagina" ya know! :D

But seriously, U should do it! The Rock & Roll Half and Full are done every year in SD + U could always do races in L.A...

Man, I'm jelly. I love SD! Can't wait to put a few cold ones down in "The Gaslight District"!

The Driver 01-29-2012 10:01 AM

Yesterday I ran 7 miles. First 5 with a group, last two with one of lovelies.

From the first 5, I did the last 2 on a 8:30 average.

Today I ran 6.3 Trail run @ Turkey Mountain, 11:30 pace. It was HARD, as I didn't hydrated for a 6, but for 3-4...

Tomorrow, moderate 6 miles, at a 10:00- 10:30 pace...

The Driver 01-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4453908)
good lawd
i wish i ran that much...have to do a 6:30 mile tomorrow on a pretty nice quarter mile track, im hydrating already (the mile will come after a couple hours of hard workouts)

Have you been training for it?

Good luck, 6:30 even for 1 mile is no easy task!

PS: I'm working my way up to 40 miles a week, next week will be a 34 miler week. Some of the guys that I "train" with (and I mean that loosely) run for 55+ miles a week... :eek:

That is way more that I can chew! :o

Warhorseforever 01-29-2012 10:33 AM

I haven't run in a while, going to get back to it gotta lose some weight, but when I did I ran cross country, mainly to watch the girls in their cute little booty shorts, I would do about a 7 minute mile and 20 minute 3 mile; my best time was 19:34 for 3 miles. I doubt I can do a mile now that I've stopped running for so long.

The Driver 01-29-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorseforever (Post 4453942)
I haven't run in a while, going to get back to it gotta lose some weight, but when I did I ran cross country, mainly to watch the girls in their cute little booty shorts, I would do about a 7 minute mile and 20 minute 3 mile; my best time was 19:34 for 3 miles. I doubt I can do a mile now that I've stopped running for so long.

Muscle memory dude, you'd be surprised, so DO IT!!!

Oh and those chicks on their booty shorts are now doing 5K's, 10K's, 15K's and halfs... Just sayin! ;)

For the record, I started running so that I could ski/rock climb better, but running took a life of it's own and for the past three years 90% of the chicks I've dated was through running groups or races...

Warhorseforever 01-29-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Driver (Post 4454010)
Muscle memory dude, you'd be surprised, so DO IT!!!

Oh and those chicks on their booty shorts are now doing 5K's, 10K's, 15K's and halfs... Just sayin! ;)

For the record, I started running so that I could ski/rock climb better, but running took a life of it's own and for the past three years 90% of the chicks I've dated was through running groups or races...

I did it to help get a jump start on conditioning for baseball the girls were just a bonus. One of the girls that was on my team is going to do the Charlotte marathon, not sure what it's called but it's a marathon in Charlotte, NC, and did the bridge walk thing in Charleston SC last year.

The Driver 01-29-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4453985)
no, not as much as i should have. it's for lacrosse tryouts, last year they said they would be happy if we got it in under 10 minutes. the last place kid did 7:08 and most people were around 6:30....so that is the bar now.
one kid made it in 5:20 wearing furry leather slippers :facepalm:
holy crap 40 miles a week is a lot, 55 is crazy too. i bet you are healthy as hell...hope you are running with proper form and on soft surfaces, dont want wrecked joints by the time you are 45 :rolleyes:

That is one heck of a bar!

So healthy that I'm 39 and my date last night will be 21 in three months... ;)

Yeap, met her while running! :D

About surfaces, I only run on concrete during a race, in fact I run on grass as much as humanly possible. In FL trail running is just sandy dirt and some roots. Out here (or Denver for that matter) it is clay, dirt and ROCKS!
But yeah, a fair amount is done in asphalt, usually no more than 25% of my running.

The Driver 01-29-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4454057)
yeah it is
score!
yeah, all dusty dirt or sand and sometimes roots or cypress knees depending how far you are from water...it is pretty fun to climb the roots in a run and it the sand is easy on the bones but that dust gets in the shoes...could be worse, i bet i would sprain an ankle every time i ran if i ran by rocks.

You will if you use the same trail shoes that U use in FL...

I'm currently doing trail runs on "track shoes". Far superior stability, specially for me that I over pronate like a MoFo.

I actually fell and sprained my bad ankle (right one and the reason I had to leave the Army) on my second run ever here in Tulsa. I had to take two weeks off, and since I was still training for a half (Route 66 Half Marathon), I jump started on the training too soon. So I ended up doing a 5K and a half with severe tendonitis. It was not fun.

Which reminds me, if you do develop tendonitis, the BEST and most effective thing to do is to keep the limb with the problem elevated while you sleep.

It has work so well, that when I sleep alone ;) I always do it! It's like been "acupuncture" in a good way, as it increases blood circulation to the injured area. And it's freacking free!

The Driver 01-29-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4454157)
cool, will definitely remember that
you wear the track/xc shoes with the spikes in them?

No spikes. It was an idea from one of the "ultra runners" in the group. Ya know guys that have completed 50 and 100 milers...

The Driver 01-29-2012 11:58 AM

^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarathon

Trust me, not my cup of tea either...

Jimmyjohn 01-29-2012 02:04 PM

Before being Told I needed a Hip replacement and then being in a Bicycle wipe out and having Brain Surgery. I had completed 6 Marathons 5 Half Marathons, Countless 5, 10, and 20K runs. I ran on 3 Hood to Coast Teams, 1 Mt. Raineer to the coast team.
Vancouver Relay, Jasper To Baniff Relay, 4 Solo Triathalons, 16 Team Triathalons including the bick portion of the Tri-States Tri going across the pan handle of Idaho.
Those who are doing it keep it up. Those who don't have no idea what their missing!!!!

The Driver 01-29-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn (Post 4455009)
Before being Told I needed a Hip replacement and then being in a Bicycle wipe out and having Brain Surgery. I had completed 6 Marathons 5 Half Marathons, Countless 5, 10, and 20K runs. I ran on 3 Hood to Coast Teams, 1 Mt. Raineer to the coast team.
Vancouver Relay, Jasper To Baniff Relay, 4 Solo Triathalons, 16 Team Triathalons including the bick portion of the Tri-States Tri going across the pan handle of Idaho.
Those who are doing it keep it up. Those who don't have no idea what their missing!!!!

Wow dude, so sorry about your injuries!

Feel free to either talk about your experiences, or any advice that you may have. I for one would love to hear them!

Warhorseforever 01-29-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn (Post 4455009)

That sucks that you had all that bad luck. A hip dislocation was what got me out of it they thought that I would need a replacement but once they cut me open they saw that it wasn't as bad as they thought.

Warhorseforever 01-30-2012 04:25 PM

I did a 10:40 mile today. I'm pretty happy with it and really surprised that I was able to do a full mile much less within that time frame. I hope to bring it down to around 8 minutes by the end of February.

Warhorseforever 01-30-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 (Post 4462701)
good luck! what surface was that on? our slowest guy out there got a couple secs above 10:30 but we were on a fantastic brand new quarter mile track

Half mile asphalt but I ran on the outside in the grassy area, I learned a long time ago that my hip won't hate me so much if I run on grass rather than the hard track.