1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unicycle

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by jdkeller, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Long story short I was talking with a friend about these. I thought it would be fun to try and learn. Does anybody ride one? If so, are they hard? What's a good brand and size?

Found a legit new looking one on Craigslist for $75. But I don't know I I want to spend that much on one.

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Have plenty of helmets! I would probably start off with a low wall near me to grab onto if need be. Seems like a fun thing to conquer. I don't think many people ride them. Last time I saw a guy ride was was high school 6 years ago.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea I have seen it before. Pretty sweet. I don't want to be that crazy at all. Those guys must be sterile.

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Now you're talkin!

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    I ride a uni. Have for 20+ years. I started in college after I met a buddy that rode. He let me learn on his. It takes a lot of time to figure it out. I have an old Schwinn. Don't know the tire size and I'm not home to look. If I was younger I'd get a MUNI (mountain bike unicycle).

It's a three-step process.
    The hard part is figuring out how to get on it. Once you get that done, you gotta figure out how to say on it. Finally you gotta learn how to ride it. Riding is the easy part. Riding gracefully take a lot of time in the saddle.

I learned by using railings and parked cars on campus. I never have used a helmet, or gloves, or pads. You'll bust it many times...but part of learning to ride is learning how to fall without breaking any bones.

Watch your nuts...they can be easily roughed up on get-offs.

Maybe watch some youtube videos...or watch somebody else who rides. I can't imagine figuring it out on your own.

It's like a bicycle. I can go a year without riding mine and get right back on it first time...no falls.

You really gotta want to ride...because the learning curve is quite steep and frustrating. It will take some time to even get a couple of rounds of the pedals...but once it clicks...you'll get good fast.

Good luck. BTW...in college the chicks digged that I rode a uni!!!

6. Feb 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man. Is there a particular size wheel for a persons height or anything? And the seats are adjustable up and down right? I'm pretty sure I can get it to click. And I'm used to falls as well. What's so good about the MUNI? Is that one good on asphalt and concrete too?

7. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I got an old schwinn 24" off Craigslist. Practiced a week or two ago for 30-45 minutes got about 4 pedals. Practiced yesterday for about 45 minutes and got about 30 feet. I ran out of concrete. So I think I may get it completely the next time I practice. I will then need to learn how to turn.

Does anyone know if there is a seat hight chart or something that compares seat height to inseam length or something? I'm not sure if I have the seat at the right height. I watched a video on YouTube and it seemed like the guys legs were almost completely extended when the pedal was down each time. Is this right? Or is it more of a however comfortable you are. I felt that it was easier to balance when I raised the seat up a bit and my knees weren't coming up high every pedal.

8. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Haven't practiced very much. But each time I do I get better. I went about 300 yards today. Felt good. Only practiced for about 10 minutes though. Few more times and I think I'll have got it down. Then I can focus on my mounts.

9. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Impressive! :thumbsup:

I don't trust anything with less than 4 wheels. :anonymous:

10. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Not gonna lie it was super hard the first 3 hours or so on it. But I was determined to get it down.

My next goal is learning how to do a handstand because I have never done one in my life!

11. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    when I was a kid (13-14) I had one, my friend had one, another had a 6' tall one. We rode forward, backward, played smashup derby's, did BMX with them, skidded sideways with them, and got bored with them. They will beat you up if you try to ride any distance. Get cheap one first, then get over it.:D

12. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    Yeah, I ride. Set your uni up so you can easily put a foot down, don't stretch yourself out too much. You want to be able to relax as you ride. Comfort, if that's possible on a uni, will Def help make it easier to learn to ride, especially for longer distances

13. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    It's just something to do when I'm bored. I like a challenge. And yea this one was about $30 but id like to get a new one.

14. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I was having trouble when the seat was too low. Raised it up and found it easier to learn on. Once I get really good I'll lower it a bit. I'd like to try one of the 36" ones. You can do some serious distance on those.

15. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    Yeah, a low seat makes it hard to pedal, too high makes it so you fall over trying to pedal, find the happy medium where you can comfortably rotate your legs.

Lowering your seat is only good when you are trying to hop or "trials' your uni. Look up "kris Holm" he is a pioneer of mountain and trials unicycleing

Products Discussed in

To Top