1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long can I keep crayfish alive?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by mdcmn7, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I am going to the lake next week for a little fishing and r&r. We usually catch some crayfish a day or two before and use them for bait. They keep great for a few days in a bucket with a bubbler

Unfortunately this weekend is the only time I can go cray hunting, and it will be at least a week before I can get out to the lake. Anybody keep them alive that long?

I guess I would need to feed them

Any thoughts?

2. Jul 5, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    This could be option 2.

[​IMG]

3. Jul 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Oh good, someone sensible shows up

4. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    That's a great option that has been done many times before. But when I can add some nice bass to that pile..... Life is good

I googled keeping the bastards alive and there is a bunch of stuff about aquariums and the like, but I have no intention of setting up a entire habitat for bait

5. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The biggest thing is to keep the water they are staying in clean, and oxygen rich. A simple aquarium airator will work well to help them live longer. We would keep a small foam cooler with big holes in the lid for bait that we needed to last. Then used a small airator that can run on 12v. Keep the air oxygenated and they will last a lot longer. Don't change out the water quickly either. Fast temperature changes of even 5-10 degrees can quickly kill them as well.

6. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    +1 to what Bama said.

They need to be treated like maintaining a fish tank. In particular, crustaceans are some of THE most sensitive creatures that live in water.

Lots of airflow, some current, and frequent water changes will keep them alive. I would first store them in the bucket with water from their original source, and add a bubbler/powerhead to the bucket. When doing water changes, make sure the water is the same quality as the water in the bucket by making sure temp is correct (use a heater), and if you have any handy, use some de-chlorine/chloramine/ammonia treatment.

As far as feeding, you probably only need to feed them once in the middle of the week, and don't feed much. Too much food will cause an ammonia spike, which will quickly kill the bucket.

Good luck, and happy fishing.

7. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    My buddy kept one a live for a year in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a small air pump.

8. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I do have a bubbler and even a aquarium heater. I will get them set up and see what I can do

9. Jul 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    It will also help if you have something that they can crawl outside of the water for a bit if they want to. They are not truly aquatic animals, and will like to perch up on a piece of wood that is sticking out of the water.

10. Jul 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    keep us in the know on this one. I just went fishing with a rubber craw, but nothing is biting still.....

11. Jul 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    jbaird22

jbaird22 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab SR5
    I kept one alive an entire summer in a kiddy pool by adding new water every once in a while as needed and then feeding it tuna fish.

12. Jul 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    thats alot of water for one crawfish.....did it actually eat the tunafish?

13. Jul 6, 2013 at 3:53 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I do have a bubbler and even a aquarium heater. I will get them set up and see what I can do

14. Jul 6, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    mdcmn7

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    The hunting trip got completely busted so no life bait for me yet

15. Jul 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    TuffRuffDangerous

TuffRuffDangerous Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    Salex glovebox/console organizers, Philips H4 MotoVision headlight bulbs, Optilux H10 Extreme Yellow XY foglight bulbs, csjumper2003 LED domelight & license plate bulbs
    I've fed a crawfish feeder fish, triops, giant caterpillars, spiders, fiddler crabs, smaller crawfish, small African frogs, earthworms and brine shrimp. They'll even eat their old exoskeleton after they molt.

Products Discussed in

To Top