1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bowling Balls. Who bowls.

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Untamed_SS, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS [OP] Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Hey! Who bowls? What kind of ball do you have? Weight? What do you like about it?

I'm getting a bowling ball on tuesday. I bowl about 2-3 time a week on a good week. My average is around 145. Not very consistent though, cause I just use the balls they have at the bowling alley. But I've decided to buy a ball. A Brunswick Swarm. I've heard quite a few good things about them and my local pro shop guy says they are pretty good. He encourages me to get a 14lb ball cause I'm a little bit bigger dude. I normaly use a 12 or 14.

So, I was just curios, who bowls?

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Exterior: Debadged, color matched White grill surround, Custom Mesh Grill,BHLM,Clear Corners,Tinted Tail lights Black/Clear/Black, Tinted 3rd Brake light 5%tint driver/passenger windows, Limo tint Rear and back windows Interior: Black Leather Door Panels Engine: Deckplate Mod Hayden Transmission Cooler Exhaust: DynoMax Muffler with 2.5 piping after cats Lighting: 6k Headlights,3k Fogs Wheels and Tires: MB Razors wrapped up in 265/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
    im a bowler. i live in cali though. i havent bowled since december of 08 due to a sprained right wrist. yup im a righty.
    i average 198-201 from 06-07 with my right hand.
    with my left i bowl an average of 160-170 range.

i do it mainly for fun. i have a discontinued ball columbia 300 super trooper. 14 pounds as well.
    joined leagues here and there won a few ps3s in the tournaments. lol.. a bunch of ipods.

but yeah.. i say just get to know your ball.. im pretty much a straight bowler.. i got some hook but nothing major.. kinda like a walter ray and norm duke style.

how is your style of bowling? i can help you out with what ball i had experience with and may be you can special order it.

3. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I used to bowl a lot many many years ago.

I have a 10lb Purple Hammer fingertip ball (If I remember correctly).
    My husband has a couple balls :)eek:) Rhino and Hammer.

I can't remember what my average used to be, but I'll always remember my high game 237. I had that score sheet printed out and saved!!!

We used to bowl in a lot of leaques. That was a blast. If I had a set work schedule, I'd love to get back into it again.

4. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I couldn't begin to explain my style :( I know what dot to start on. And what arrow to roll over. lol. I'm right handed and usually hook the ball. Unless I need to pick up a spare that is mostly on the right side. Then I bowl left handed, or "reverse spin" (i guess thats what you would call it) to try to pick it up.

I don't really know the categories of bowling style, so I guess I can't really put myself in a certain one. =/ Make since?

5. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    branct06

branct06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    i bowl used to bowl a lot more when i did bowl i had a 215 average and 2 300 rings

6. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    no 300 here but had a 214 avg. I use very outdated stuff. If i were you and if you dont take it real serious i dont think i would spend to much money how much you looking at spending with drilling and ball.

7. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i cant bowl worth a shit....at all!!!! my balls try to go is another lane sometimes. gimme quite a few beers tho.........i'll roll strikes like a pothead rollin a blunt!!!:eek:

8. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Well, I found it on bowlingball.com for like $90. Plus local shop charges 45 plus like 15 or so for drilling and inserts.

Or I could just buy it from his shop for $145 with free drilling and inserts.

I'm happy with that price. So, thats probably what I'm going to do. I'm not a hardcore serious league bowler, but I really enjoy it and go pretty often.

9. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Holy Crap! Nice!

When I got drunk one night at the bowling alley, I bowled the wrong lane, and almost got in a fight. Luckily all I had to do was stand my ground and look BA and the other guy just crapped out! It was hilarious. To me at least.

So, in conclusion, I can't bowl when I'm a little intoxicated. :rolleyes:

10. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    I bowl and love it! I've been bowling for 15 years now (off and on) and I'm only 20. My uncle taught me how. We was an ammeter. He bowled probably 10-12 300's and many 297's, and all other's close to 300.

I haven't bowled since I broke my collarbone last January though. :(

I have a 13lb ball but for some reason right now, I'm drawing a blank on the make. I love it though. I don't go enough so when I do go, I have to spend sometime adjusting my body to get the right feel. Then, after a while, my fingers start to hurt and I have to bowl normal (no hook-shot).

Glad there's some bowlers on this site!

11. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Cool man. I have plenty of pics of the bowling around here. Actually thats where I met all my girl friends except my last one. It is a blast and very popular in my area. It is always crowded and plenty of hot women around. And the awesome 110 oz beer tubes I'm not allowed to buy. :rolleyes:

12. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    that price sounds good

13. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
  14. Apr 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    I bowl in a league on monday nights, well it just ended 2 weeks ago. I've been bowling about 5 years. I started this season with a 192 average and ended it with a 180 average. Highest game ever was a 255.

I bowl with a Bruswick Swamp Monster. Had the guy at the pro shop get me the heaviest 16 lb. ball he could get. Once it was drilled, it ended up being just under 16 lbs. I had my ball drilled as a fingertip ball.

How the ball will react depends alot on the guy drilling the ball. Find someone that will do it right.

I bowl a nice hook and this ball is excellent on an oily lane. Just remember, they oil in different patterns etc. when they run the machine down the lane. It depends on their schedule though as to how often they do it. I don't know if there is a standard.

Products Discussed in

To Top