1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Bike

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Scott41984, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    Scott41984

Scott41984 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD Prerunner V6
    I currently have a Trek 3700 bike (18") I purchased from a friend.

It is too large for me so I am in the market for a new bike. I have narrowed it down to another Trek 3700, Trek 4300, Cannondale F8/F9.

My fiance just got her a F9 Feminine which she loves, and I've had great experiences with my parent's CDale M500's.

What is everyone's opinion? What is the main difference between the F8/F9?

2. Jul 5, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Check out MTBR.com, I'm a member there and there's lots of reviews and useful information there. Go to reviews, XC Hardtail, and then T for TREK or C for Cannondale. I'm not a huge fan of Cannondale, usually because they come with a bigger price tag but they do make good bikes. Treks have a good rep to and I always felt like I can "feel" the road more, it's feels more responsive. I would suggest trying to find a bike dealership so you can sit on the bikes, ask questions, test ride. Sometimes some bikes geometry just is off for a particular person.

3. Jul 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    x2 on finding a shop. I got to "test drive" mine before I bought it. I was really happy with the overall experience with the shope. Got my first few tune ups for free. And great customer service there.

4. Jul 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    I'll second the MTBR.com suggestion. There's so much info on that site, it's unreal. Look at the reviews, then check out the manufacturers section, to see if there's any known problems/defects with the bikes you're looking at.

Do a search, and if the bikes popular, you'll get a lot of info on it, good or bad. I've been a member over there for a while, and used it to weed out a bunch of bikes I thought I wanted.

Once you're done over there, go down and ride 'em. I passed up a couple different bikes before I settled on my Specialized, just from the test ride.

5. Jul 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Scott41984

Member:
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD Prerunner V6
    Thanks for the advice. I've joined MTBR.com and have searched, without any direct answers.

I've posted a thread, and noone has responded yet so I am still waiting. I've ridden Trek and Cannondale; which I like both...

I just am wondering what is the best for your buck... I do like the fact that Cannondale's are really light.

KEVHOGAZ- How do you like your Specialized? What other bikes were you comparing them with? What model and pricetag was it (if you don't mind me asking)

6. Jul 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    x3 the shop i got mine from allowed a 2 week period and i could return it at no cost for another bike

7. Jul 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'm a bit of a specialized homer. I happen to really like the rockhopper that I have. I would like to upgrade at some point to a stumpjumper, but I haven't saved up the money yet.

Sorry, don't know the big differences between the trek bikes.

8. Jul 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    kevhogaz

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner

I got an '07 Stumpjumper Comp. It's a full suspension bike, and I think I paid around $1500 for it, if I remember correctly. I couldn't really find anything in it's price range that I liked, so I went with the specialized. They make good bikes that work exactly like they're supposed, and rarely fail. It's definitely a work horse, that I can set the air pressures on the shocks and tires, and just ride. I've got one of their road bikes as well, and love it just as much.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any modern big name bikes. Just make sure it's got the stuff on it you want, and go for it. I always make sure the fork is the one I can live with, since they're so expensive to replace. Everything else I can swap out later, if I don't like it.

I've also got a Niner EMD, a 29'er hard tail bike, that I've got a ton of money in to. Here's a pic of it. Enjoy.

EMD10_ed77b83db6cec670ffb02e4c169ba7595db66aa5.jpg

9. Jul 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    That niner is a nice bike.

OP; if you are looking for something in a similar price range to the 3700 (<500) then you are in the hardrock line of specialized.

For <1000 you are in the rockhopper range They also make a 29" version that has caught my eye recently.

>1000 is the stumpjumpers.

10. Jul 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    kevhogaz

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    Sooner, that Niner used to be a RIP9, but the rear suspension drove me crazy. It always felt like it was flexing underneath me, and it was quite annoying. It should be pretty obvious that the rear on this one doesn't flex, at all!

I had no idea those Trek and Cannondale bikes in the OP were less than $500.00 and I didn't mean to suggest such expensive bikes.

11. Jul 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    Scott41984

Member:
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD Prerunner V6
    Thanks for the information guys...

I went to the local bike store today and test rode a F9 (medium size). I liked the way it rode more than the Trek I currently have.

They are ordering me one from Cannondale in the small size. I'm only 5'6.5

If anyone was wondering, the only major difference between the F9 and F8 are disk brakes.

12. Jul 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    kevhogaz

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    Cool deal buddy. If it wasn't so freakin' hot here, I'd go ride after work. Kind of hard to get motivated when it's 111 outside.

13. Jul 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Disks are fun. If you get them brand new they will come with a sticker saying caution hot. Well after a nice downhill run I tested that and yes indeed they get very very hot. Burned circles in my hand and yelled out some nice words.

Hope you enjoy your purchase. If you do a lot of riding invest in bicycle shorts, they have padding in all the right places. Also if you never tried cleats with bicycle shoes there nice for cross country. You get power on the down stroke and upstroke and easily do bunny hops. Don't lean against a tree though, I did to let a cute chick past and the stupid tree bent and I fell. But it started a funny conversation and yada yada yada......yay for biking.

Products Discussed in

To Top