1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Kayak

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Hot Tamale, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Just bought a new kayak this week and today I finally got a chance to test her out. I got a Perception Prodigy 10. Very easy to handle and fits nicely in the back of my truck with just a little overhang. A friend and I went to a place called Marsh Creek in Chester County, PA. It's a man-made lake and it covers about 535 acres. It's just beautiful there. They allow sailboats, kayaks, row boats, and boats that use electric motors. It is really peaceful out on that lake. Every now and then you'll see a fish jump up out of the water! Everybody should be able to experience that kind of tranquility. :)

2. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Kayak alot?? My wife and I are shopping some and I've used them....but I have no idea what to look for to BUY one....Any tips??

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    My daughter and her boyfriend rented one in Maine last year. They said it was great. I haven't used one in quite a few years (about 40!)

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Hot Tamale

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    You have to decide what type of kayaking you want to do since there are different types of kayaks for different types of water. I do recreational kayaking only which is basically on lakes, streams, calm rivers. That type of kayak usually has a wider cockpit and doesn't have to be as long as the ones people use in the ocean. Mine is 10' long and weighs about 40 lbs. The ones used for white water kayaking are real short for ease of manuvering. Best bet is to find a place that sells kayaks and ask if they're having a demo day so you can try out various types and see what feels best to you. Somebody might tell you that a certain kayak is the greatest, but it might not be right for you. It's really an individual thing.

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Schweet....Thanks...=)

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    Hot Tamale

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    I should mention that I have also owned a tandem kayak (which is a 2 seater) and even though it was a nice boat, it was very heavy and more difficult to maneuver. I really wish I would've gone with a single the first time I bought. (Plus the tandem ran about $800 and the single ran me about $350). I would also reccomend the type that you sit in rather than the kind you sit on top of.

7. Jul 10, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    yeah i live in cecil md and i love my kayak.

8. Dec 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    Himiler

Himiler Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Washington state
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner2.7prndl
    Rocker,stocker
    My kayaks are both hobies with pedal drives, I'd suggest you try all units BEFORE. Putting any money down. The pedal type leave both hands free and is very easy to pedal, like a mountain bike in 1st gear. Setbacks are seats that aren't comforatable unless you are YOUNG. They can be modified if you are handy, I made mine both hi backs with lumbar support NICE and comfortable

9. Dec 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Can one go to Dicks or Cableas and get a good one or do you really need to go to a boat shop or kayak shop?

And im torn between a kayak and a canoe. I want the wife and eventually my boy to go with me, so im thinking a canoe, but im not sure if she will go but once a year.

10. Dec 23, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    The decision between kayak n canoe is a tough one. I wanna get my son on the water too but he's 14 so I think he can have his own boat. I have a field n stream 12'. Made by old town from what I'm told. Good boat with plenty of room, rod holders, paddle holders, watertight removable compartment. Dicks sporting goods usually carries a real nice selection. Just hafta figure out what you'll be usin it for most n do your research. Its a ton of fun to go with a buncha friends n fish n float

11. Dec 23, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    JDeLuca

JDeLuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Staten Island NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport MGM
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Bed mat, Weather Techs wet okole seat covers
    I was looking at the wilderness kayaks. Thinking of getting one for the bay, for fishing. It is a sit on top one. Turned 61 on Tuesday, not sure if I should go for it!! Not as daring as I use to be.

12. Dec 23, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I have owned both a canoe (Mad River) & now a kayak.
    I found porting a canoe by myself, even the 14' tahoe which is a short style canoe, challenging. It was a beautiful boat that didn't get used very much because of that.

The kayak I use all the time in season.
    Wilderness Systems have a proven seat system (phase 3) & the Pungo line has a large, wide cockpit that my niece or nephew can go with me. (They are 5 & 7)
    Its very stable and comfortable for long paddles and get into anywhere...really low water spots.
    Its light & easier to manuver by myself is definitely one of my favorite investments.
    You can always get a two seater too. Those can be used solo or 2 up.
    The ones at Dicks would be fine too..Have had friends who go with buy them there & they have been good boats for them.
    As someone else mentioned the advantage of a boat shop is the staff's knowledge, they will have demo days more than likely, & you can sit in all their boats.
    Also our local shop sells blemished or factory second models, previous year models or demo boats much cheaper than new.
    You can get some great deals even at a boat shop.

13. Dec 24, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    Goood info. Thanks mom!

14. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Kayaks are awesome. I too have been kicking around the idea of getting one. It would take my backpacking/camping trips to a whole new level. I was at Bass Pro yesterday and finally found the one I want.

It is the Ascend fs12t sit on top kayak for $480. It has a nice sealed compartment up front, cup holder in between your legs, fishing pole holders, and a nice luggage area on the back. Big enough to fit one of backpacks. Cant wait to save up the money and take it home!

15. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    jhndoe37

jhndoe37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    al
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    We have Ocean Kayak ( brand ) scramblers. Love um stable, sit on top so if you do go over you just climb back on. Also use a bed extender that goes into the hitch great set up. Need the bed extender with my double cab short bed.

16. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    jhndoe37

jhndoe37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    al
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Oh and I bought them thru backcountry outfitters. Cheaper than any store and free shipping if its to a business. Also no sales tax.

17. Dec 24, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Nice! I am going to have to check in to that! I forgot they did kayaks. I use them all the time

Products Discussed in

To Top