1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Topic: Fedor signs with Strikeforce

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Phillyguy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    Phillyguy

Phillyguy [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 SR5
    Still brand new.
    I know this was a discussion on another post, by today Strikeforce announced the signing of Fedor. This is not good for any chance UFC had of getting him for the mega fight.

According to reports, M-1 was the one NOT budging, not Dana White. Dana White offered more money, advertising, some co-promotions but in the end, M-1 wanted HALF of the earnings for the fight.

I don't like White too much, but I do believe he tried his ass off for this. I love Fedor but this is a serious knock on his rep for not pushing harder to get this done. He signs a contract with Strikeforce to fight scrubs at the age of 33.... he will always have that asterick on him for not being in the top league during his prime

This doesn't mean it wont happen down the road, but he is not getting any younger. Very dissappointed.

2. Aug 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    "Fedor is a f---ing joke," UFC President Dana White responded Monday after learning that Emelianenko had signed with Strikeforce. “He turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies for no money!"

It is quotes like this that affirms what I already knew...MMA isn't quite ready for the mainstream. It bums me out because I really like MMA, mostly the UFC.

You wouldn't see Bud Selig, David Stern, or Roger Goodell calling any of their players (or potential players in this case) a "f----ing joke".

3. Aug 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Phillyguy

Phillyguy [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 SR5
    Still brand new.
    Thats Dana White for ya. He prides himself on his pitbull mentality. Like him or not, its made him (and the UFC) pretty freakin successful and I honestly think he has no intentions of becoming a Stern or Selig. He also isn't a commissioner.

This whole Fedor debacle has really put a thorn in MMA's side. UFC had the potential of finally becoming the true force it has been hoping for but has fallen short again. With Lesnar's antics and Fedor's absurd decision, the UFC has taken a slight step backwards, especially in that division. They are really hoping that TUF "Heavyweights" brings them forward again. Thankfully the timing could not be any better.

The intrigue of Fedor was that he was a technical heavyweight fighter that can also knock out opponents literally twice his size. Right now the heavyweight decision around the globe has a bad rep for being "failed" ex-football players who can only throw haymakers. Fedor is like a 240 lb BJ Penn is his prime, but better. He can make big dumb Lensar-like animals look foolish. Frank Mir wouldn't last 20 secs against Fedor, its almost embarrassing he was UFC's no. 1 contender.

Fingers crossed something eventually works out before Fedor gets too old.

4. Aug 3, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    UA34

UA34 Texican

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Pre Runner
    Stock everything
    if you read the whole ordeal with Fedor its not Fedor its his sleazy manager Vadim Fickelstein (how ever you spell his name)

Dana offered fedor 5 mil per fight, for 6 fights total 30 million

ppv revenue cut

and tons of other shit.

Now Fedor's manager owns M-1 a promotion company and he wanted to be able to promote M-1 with the UFC and Dana wasnt having any of that. and From a Business point of view it didnt benefit Dana, UFC, or the Fertitta's giving vadim a cut of the UFC's profits for just 1 fighter. Dont blame Fedor blame his sleazy/shady manager.

5. Aug 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    x2. This is what I heard.

Still a dissapointment. Anyone know how many fights Fedor signed for with Strikeforce? I thought Strikeforce was done anyways?

At least UFC got Tito back during his prime :D

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Phillyguy

Phillyguy [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 SR5
    Still brand new.
    Lets be honest, if Fedor wanted to fight the best and prove to everyone he is the best, he would have made this happen. As much as him manager did the negotiations, Fedor is part owner of M-1 so he has serious interest in this.

This would be like Pujols deciding to play in the Japanese league because he couldnt get half of the Cardinals profit since he is the main attraction.

I do like Fedor, but bottom line, if he wanted to fight in the UFC, he would have made sure it happened. Fighting for a busch league against below average fighters when you are the best pound-for-pound fighter is boderline pathetic, cowardly, and flat out selfish towards all real fans around the world..

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    UA34

UA34 Texican

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Pre Runner
    Stock everything

Strikeforce is not done but they had a smart plan in how the operated their business. most were local shows promotiong local fighters. Diaz, Melendez, The Punk Thomson, ect....... we will see how this goes with strikeforce. the only fighters fedor can really fight are Overeem, Rogers and Werdum...

8. Aug 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    qballenko

qballenko Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    Well its gonna come down to criticism just like Floyd Mayweather (not fighting anyone but lower end fighter or past there prime). So as far as most MMA fans that I know are concerned the man can not be considered close to being pound for pound or even the top heavyweight in the world.

You can not even argue him being pound for pound best. When you have people like GSP, Penn, and Silva who are constantly going out there and trying to fight the best fighters in the world.

9. Aug 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    SoCal Tom

SoCal Tom Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab
    I understand Dana White's mentality but these types of comments reinforce the negative sterotypes that UFC is trying to dispel (lowest common denominator entertainment, meat head, etc.). I'd love to see UFC grow and become what boxing used to be.

I completely agree with you that if Fedor really wanted to fight the best, he would have made it happen. You can't blame anyone but Fedor in this case.

Products Discussed in

To Top