1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Road Bicycle?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by fghtngsquirrel, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    fghtngsquirrel

fghtngsquirrel [OP] Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    Hey guys, I am trying to narrow down my options for a good road bicycle. I don't know much about the components... I just get on and go. I've been cycling 60+ miles a week, and the bike I have (Trek 7200FX) is just too heavy and I like the curved handle bars better. I am trying to get up to 60+ mile rides, so a lighter bike is what I'm going for.

I've been looking at the Trek 1000, Trek 1.2 and the Giant OCR2. Trek has always been my preference, but I have heard that Treks don't come with the best components :confused:. Anyway, input would be very helpful!

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    begs the question -
    how much money do you want to spend ? -
    lighter is more $$$
    frame sets and groupos can add big bucks -
    think 3 - 5 K -
    a good, aluminum/ carbon frame with a good, mid groupo will cost around 1,200
    there is a lot of information out there and you also should find a good LBS

3. Sep 17, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    There isn't a best. Preference plays the biggest part. But, budget is the biggest question. Road biking seems to be a weight to dollar game. To drop ounces you wind up spending hundreads of dollars. Also, are you just doing road biking, or are you training for a triathalon. If the later is the case, then tri-bikes will be a preferred option, since they put your legs in a different position.

I ride a specialized Allez. Its a decent bike, weight isn't huge issue for me (its around 19.5 lbs I'm at 205) I could easily drop 20lbs of body weight for less money than dropping 4 pounds off this bike.

I think the biggest improvement you will see in upgrading components on a road bike is in the wheel set. Dropping the weight there and having a nice hub will save lots of energy in your legs over 60 miles. But you are also going to pay handsomely for really nice wheel sets.

4. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Trek makes all levels of bike fromlow end to full race with the best components. The TDF was won on one this year. Like has been stated it's all about how much $$$$$ you want to spend.
    I'm partial to my Serotta Ti with full Dura-Ace. would cost me over $8000 to replace it with a new model.

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    fghtngsquirrel

fghtngsquirrel [OP] Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like I need to start saving some money!

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i have a trek 6700. im no lance armstrong so spending $5 grand on a bike is out of the question. i paid a grand for mine and it does the job.got front shocks,street tires,and my bitching scwhinn trailer. :)
    [​IMG]
    maybe this would work.lol
    [​IMG]

7. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    I got a road bike back in '05. Rode it for a long time before I moved. The new environment is not conducive to riding at this location so I sold it to my brother but I loved it. It was a Specialized Allez (sp?) for about a grand. Not sure what they go for now, but, unless you're trying to go Tour de France then I wouldn't spend more than about 1k anyways. Just my $0.02.

8. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    leader makes great bikes and so does marin....

i highly recommend marin

9. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    deadphish28

deadphish28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Milford ct
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad
    kn cold air intake Borla cat back 285 Toyo open country a/t Pro comp 17" rims Led dome/map lights Ddm hid 55w headlights 5,000k
    Ill sell you this for 1000 bucks. Only has 30 miles on it. Not sure the size I traded my downhill intense mountain bike for it. Im 5'10 and it fits me just right, dont have the time to ride it.

5340_100724306607421_100000095556325_17886_8321047_n.jpg

10. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Having been a serious cyclist for over 25 years I can tell you that cheap bikes are much harder to ride than higher end bikes.
    You can find a used higher quality bike for much less than a new one.
    Shop around and test ride lot's of stuff then look for what you can afford.
    Sometimes a lower priced bike has the same frame as the higher end model just lower end components.
    Just because you aren't racing the tour doesn't mean you won't benefit from a great bike.
    I stopped racing over 10 years ago but the good stuff keeps me into cycling and competative with friends that do race.
    There are millions of cheap bikes that get ridden a little and hang in the garage after the owner figures out this stuff is hard.
    Ride, enjoy and ask lots of questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top