Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Real estate

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Real estate

I am looking for some info on real estate investments and how things work, I would appreciate some answers from canadians, as things work differently in the states. but all input is welcome!

What kind of real estate investing are you doing?

buy fix sell?
buy and rent?
buy low and sell when the market goes up?

Just exploring my options and wanting to hear a few stories, good or bad!

Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
no investors on here?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I invest in real estate in the US but I'm afraid I don't know jack about Canadian real estate.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
thats ok, are you buying and renting out the properties? is it hard? I'm brand new, so any info is appreciated. how many places do you own?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
my parents buy houses and rent them out. they do very well for themselves with it! they have multiple properties
Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a double block on my street and fixed it up and rented it. I have no problems with my tenants, however, I heard of some horror stories. I lot folks got burned when they purchsed houses to flip, only to have the market tumble. Real Estate is a gamble now.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Right now you want to buy and rent cause of the market. You can buy cheap, rent it out for pretty much what you mortgage would be. Sit on it for few years (at least till the real estate turns around) and then you can sell it for a lot more.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
GTACO
GTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabriel
GTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
Right now you want to buy and rent cause of the market. You can buy cheap, rent it out for pretty much what you mortgage would be. Sit on it for few years (at least till the real estate turns around) and then you can sell it for a lot more.

What he said.....
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Pal from h. s. Has 45 houses, been buying and renting them out for 40 years. On paper hes worth 4.5 to 5 mil. not bad as he has made this with other folks $. Orl Fl is good for rentals as we always have a large turn over. You need to check out your home town for rentals do they sit long or go quick. If you are young I say try it with 1 or 2 homes. If you like it buy more if not sell out. Good luck, Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
angdefeo is on a distinguished road
angdefeo's Tacoma Gallery
The only downside of being in the real estate game is being a landlord. I owned a 2 unit property for a few years. Luckly i sold out when the property in that area went up. The only downside for me was dealing with the tenants. One was a long term person who lived in the apartment. The other stayed rented for 85% of the time.

The down side for me was trying to find tenants and taking calls from them with items that were broken. The other bad thing was dealing with the landlord rules in my community. You need rental licenses, business privelage licences, and some toehr things. If you own multiple units then its worth the time. But for two units, it took up to much of my free time.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Thorpedo26 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon Thorpe
Thorpedo26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
I bought a double block on my street and fixed it up and rented it. I have no problems with my tenants, however, I heard of some horror stories. I lot folks got burned when they purchsed houses to flip, only to have the market tumble. Real Estate is a gamble now.
my family lost tones of money when the market went to crap a couple years ago, we got into the fliping game and then couldnt sell the homes. The key is to not get money loans if you have the cash. if your flipping have money to buy that house because alot of times it will sit a long long time.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I are planning on renting out our condo. We're refinancing it now to take advantage of lower rates (which is turning out to be a real pain). Once we do that, we'll be saving up some more money to buy a house and then rent out the condo.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, Im 25 and bought my second home in 2011. I still own our other semi and rent it out. It was simple to get too and the process was easy. Just came up with the DP and I was good. Rental people are great so far too, and any extra money goes to my lowest amount mortgage (rental house) and once thats paid off the rental money will basically pay my other mortgage. Its a win win if you can balance the books. Im lucky because my work offers stupid overtime and pays like crazy to work it. So the whole process is not too stressful