Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Precious metals

Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #41
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Any idea what will happen to PM as the "fiscal cliff" approaches?

bump...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #42
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I would say copper over time will be the best gain if you are investing now. Most experts I ask say that and I am thinking about stocking up on it now.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
Sido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
So say I have $10,000 to invest. You guys are saying that $10,000 in gold or silver is smarter than investing in stocks?

If it matters I am 22 and dont plan on un-investing until I have to if that makes since.
I don't really know much about silver, it never interested me but I have done quite a bit of reading about gold. Historically, people don't make much money on gold. There have been a few important points that the gold nuts will point out, but as a general rule, don't plan on making money holding gold. Gold isn't immune from crazy drops either. Check out the price of gold from 1980-1982 and it all but collapses. In general, the long term gains on gold will approximate inflation. Over the last few years gold has had a run up in price, so if you buy now you will be buying high (however it could go up even higher). So, if, over the next 30 years gold returns to it's long term performance and the market matches it's performance, gold will under perform.

You also have to consider the bid/ask spread when you buy and sell, and if you hold physical coins (I would buy physical assets and not a mutual fund/ETF) you also have to consider how you will store and secure them. Also, if you do sell at a gain, you pay higher capital gains rates than if you sold stock/mutual funds.

I think holding gold can be a great idea for any portfolio, and it can reduce overall volatility. I don't hold any, but if I did I wouldn't do more than 5%, which in your case would be $500, and that won't even buy you a gold coin. The extreme gold nuts I know won't go above 30%.

If I were you, I would buy a broad market index fund with low fees and hold it until I die. Or buy a low cost target retirement/life cycle fund. At the end of the day it is your money and no one can predict the future, so do what feels right for you.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
If you got some extra space in your house you can invest in nickels. Nickels are the only form of US currency that is actually worth its face value. Actually the metal content of the nickel is worth more than its face value. Currently you can still go into most banks and buy rolls of nickels at no cost. It is my belief that very soon the US will stop minting, or will use a cheaper metal for nickels as it is becoming to expensive to mint them. Now this would be a longer term strategy. Quarters and dimes were 90% silver prior to 1965, and now a days junk silver or 1964 and earlier quarters and dimes are traded by coin dealers for metal value. Which is about 5 or 6 bucks for the quarters and a few dollars for the dimes. Inflation and dollar devaluation is a bitch, but you can take advantage of it. Check out a guy named Kyle Bass. He is a hedge fund manager and a while back he actually bought 1 million dollars worth of nickels (face value). Now that being said I don't personally buy nickels but I do set them aside whenever I get one. Sadly it is the only real money the government still coins.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #46
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarbhab View Post
If you got some extra space in your house you can invest in nickels. Nickels are the only form of US currency that is actually worth its face value. Actually the metal content of the nickel is worth more than its face value. Currently you can still go into most banks and buy rolls of nickels at no cost. It is my belief that very soon the US will stop minting, or will use a cheaper metal for nickels as it is becoming to expensive to mint them. Now this would be a longer term strategy. Quarters and dimes were 90% silver prior to 1965, and now a days junk silver or 1964 and earlier quarters and dimes are traded by coin dealers for metal value. Which is about 5 or 6 bucks for the quarters and a few dollars for the dimes. Inflation and dollar devaluation is a bitch, but you can take advantage of it. Check out a guy named Kyle Bass. He is a hedge fund manager and a while back he actually bought 1 million dollars worth of nickels (face value). Now that being said I don't personally buy nickels but I do set them aside whenever I get one. Sadly it is the only real money the government still coins.
According to this guy, it's supposed to start in 2013. The president already signed an order calling for it:
http://www.survivalblog.com/nickels.html
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #47
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about buying silver. Too poor to get gold unless its a REALLY small amount. Where is the best place to buy? Is kitco good to buy from? And what years do nickels, quarters, and dimes have the silver?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #48
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I'm thinking about buying silver. Too poor to get gold unless its a REALLY small amount. Where is the best place to buy? Is kitco good to buy from? And what years do nickels, quarters, and dimes have the silver?
I watch apmex.com consistently, that's where I would buy from.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #49
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I watch apmex.com consistently, that's where I would buy from.
Alright. I might start my metal investment with a 1oz bar of silver Plus I need to hit up on copper
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #50
The Blue Warrior

Getting a collection of copper pennies. Never know when copper will go even higher and in time, these pennies will be hard to find. And if anyone wants to do this too, 1981 and older pennies have copper. Some 1982 pennies have copper. You will have to weigh them. The year 1982 pennies with copper weigh about 3.1 grams. Pennies that year with mainly zinc weigh around 2.5 grams.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #52
The Blue Warrior

Purchased a tiny bit of silver to start out my investing. Slowly going to move up. Officially into metals now

EDIT: I actually found one of the four years they made nickels with silver! 1943
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #53
The Blue Warrior

Anyone out there? I'm into silver fever mode now. Bought a couple small silver bars from APMEX. I'm saving up for silver bars/coins/rounds and hitting local antique stores to look for silver coins. Thankfully the new one in town that not a lot of people know about has a lot of silver coins. Planning on buying their silver coins.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #54
The Blue Warrior

Of course when I don't have enough money at the moment, silver prices are below $30 and now is the time to buy..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #55
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
So say I have $10,000 to invest. You guys are saying that $10,000 in gold or silver is smarter than investing in stocks?

If it matters I am 22 and dont plan on un-investing until I have to if that makes since.
QUOTE=maxpower29;6229129]I would say copper over time will be the best gain if you are investing now. Most experts I ask say that and I am thinking about stocking up on it now.[/QUOTE]

LOL hopefully you took my advice because Gold has tanked like a mofo recently
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #56
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
QUOTE=maxpower29;6229129]
LOL hopefully you took my advice because Gold has tanked like a mofo recently
Meh. Copper hasn't done that great over time either. It's down 15% from a year ago and has been trading in the same range since about 2007. In 2008 it dropped from $4 to $1.5 per pound in the span of about 4 months. It's only doubled since 1989. That's not much return for 24 years. The only way to make big money is to trade commodities is to buy and sell contracts. It's also a good way to lose big money. Plus at only $10K, you'd have to hold and store over a ton of it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Meh. Copper hasn't done that great over time either. It's down 15% from a year ago and has been trading in the same range since about 2007. In 2008 it dropped from $4 to $1.5 per pound in the span of about 4 months. It's only doubled since 1989. That's not much return for 24 years.
Give it a few years. That's the metal that will be rare and used more. Price will be much higher I think
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
ToyotaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Give it a few years. That's the metal that will be rare and used more. Price will be much higher I think
Copper is being used less and less in residential and commercial applications from what I see. The applications that I see it used less in are heating, cooling and water distribution. Plastic and aluminum have taken a large chunk out of this market. Not sure what kind of future it will have. Am I missing something?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Copper was $1.33 in 1980. If you had invested $750 in copper it would be worth $1900 today. That doesn't even keep up with inflation. Even if you sold it at it's peak you'd barely be above break even.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #60
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Precious metals is basically commodity investment. I've never understood the mystique it seems to hold as compared with, say, soybean futures.

Anyway, you're almost always better off diversifying. As usual.