Don't Invest in Either 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
02YotaGuy has a spectacular aura about02YotaGuy has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Current Active Duty, Intel
Name: Matthew
02YotaGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Boeing or EADS?

Recently Boeing and the Europen EADS corporation put in a bid with the United States Air Force for the new tanker worth up to $40 Billion. EADS plans on using the Airbus A330 platform modifying it for use as a tanker... While Boeing plans on using their 767. Who do you think has a better shot at winning and would you invest in your choice. Do you think that the winners stock will go up enough to make it worth investing in? Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Voted for Boeing though
Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Investing in an aerospace comapny is normally a bad idea since both companies rely heavy on government investments. If the government decides to kill a program such as the F-22 the stocks tend to plummet and the companies don't pay out huge dividens. If you do decide to buy, don't hold the stock very long. Keep in mind DOD is projected to cut defense spending 700 billion over the next 5 years. If you want to invest, invest in stocks that stands the test of time; ie companies that make consumer goods that consumers will buy regardless the economy such as Proctor and Gamble, Anheuser Busch, Walmart and Kellogg.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #4

This is definately not a long-term idea. I'm fairly certain that Boeing will win the contract causing a jump in stock prices at which point I will sell. Not hoping for a 300% return. It seems like Medical is the way to go with all the Baby-Boomer hitting retirement and old age. With old age comes more medical problems, kinda messed up to look at it that way... but it's true.

On a side note, I recently PCS'd out of Langley. Kinda miss it... But Hickam is so much nicer this time of year.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say Boeing has a much better chance in this political climate. Buying planes for Airbus would not win a lot of votes with unemployment as high as it is right now.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
I guess one can only hope that at a time when our economy is in shambles and Boeing has come in with a contract that gives the government what they asked for, the Air Force doesn't opt to buy foreign. Boeing has a work force in excess of 159,000 employees total with offices in almost every state. If selected, Airbus has promised to build a factory in Alabama and hire 5000 employees. You can do the math.
Just my thoughts.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I say Boeing because I make parts for them!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Do some research. It's rated as a buy/hold long term. It is not recommended as a short sell. If I were to purchase, I would hold on to it for awhile.

https://research.ameritrade.com/wwws...CSFBW50_384888

https://research.ameritrade.com/wwws...ocks.thestreet

https://research.ameritrade.com/wwws....standardpoors

https://research.ameritrade.com/wwws...cks.fordequity

https://wwws.ameritrade.com/cgi-bin/...Edge?symbol=BA

https://research.ameritrade.com/wwws...stocks.jaywalk
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well, looks like Boeing got the contract.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

It looks like it, but EADS still has some time to dispute the decision. 3 Days to ask for a reason why they lost-5 Days for the Briefing on why they lost and then 5 more days to decide to protest... But as soon as Boeing got the contract the stock jumped ove $2 per share, which was my initial reason for buying. So now I'll give it the 13 days and hope that EADS dosen't protest.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this has been going on for so long it's amazing.
I used to work on the 767 Tanker program 5 years ago and I would say... invest in peanuts
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I hope EADS does protest. This was just another Govt scam our leader had his hand in since Boeing is out of Chicago. Why bother helping out the Gulf Coast after all the disaster we have had the last few years. Mobile originally was awarded the contract until boeing protested and then all of a sudden boeing gets 100% of the contract? WTF, something sounds fishy to me.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
I hope EADS does protest. This was just another Govt scam our leader had his hand in since Boeing is out of Chicago. Why bother helping out the Gulf Coast after all the disaster we have had the last few years. Mobile originally was awarded the contract until boeing protested and then all of a sudden boeing gets 100% of the contract? WTF, something sounds fishy to me.
Boeing was originally awarded the contract back in '02, then it was dropped because of the leasing deal... then it was awarded to Northrup/Airbus in '08 (?) then derailed because of political hooplaa... now back to Boeing.
Not saying either one is better than the other, just saying it is hardly 'all of a sudden' and it started well before Obama was in office.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with jrobson we have been hit hard down here. I think political influence had a major role in the decision as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
This...and I voted Boeing
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Underprepared and Overconfident
DubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubyaDawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DubyaDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know shit about stocks, but I'd say the the 767 tanker program is looking better than the A330, and the Air Force will generally be more likely to buy American.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
Fenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fenrisulfr's Tacoma Gallery
I do not trust the stock market; it is a rigged game, and the financial system is as unstable like a house of cards when the fan is blowing.

I would advise purchasing some gold on the next price dip. If you can handle volatility, palladium is testing the 50 day moving average. Both are still in a bull market, and I would dollar-cost-average in to such a position to get a better price overall and mitigate risk.
(note - URLs are to StockCharts.com and Wikipedia; they are safe)

Do not use an ETF if you are buying and holding due to counter-party risk, I cannot emphasise this enough, take delivery by purchasing the metal through BullionDirect or APMEX. If you do not hold it, you do not truly own it since you would be beholden unto Wall St.

(disclaimer - 6,93 oz. gold, 1 oz. palladium)