1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Charts (investing)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by SAIRS, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    Do any of you guys use stock charts to plot out trends as you are evaluating different investments?

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I do, but right now the markets are pretty crazy. There isn’t much logic behind why some things are up and others are down. IMO I think we are on a bubble and getting ready for another crash.
    Anything in particular you are looking at investing right now? Just out of curiosity
    Invest wisely right now that all I can say.

3. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    I am actually studying quite a bit to get concepts down before I start sinking money in. I came across this web site www.liberatedstocktrader.com that goes over everything. You can get a good basic foundation for free, but then he has a more advanced program called "pro" that is in the $200-300 range.

The website is awesome and gives a good introduction into stock trading and the markets. He lists a few sites to get stock charts on, but I was hoping to find a free one that would allow me to draw on the charts themselves. There are company's out there but I am not quite ready to drop money on them when I dont have money to get into the market to hopefully get some returns. I want to be able to practice on some free charts before I get going.

Where do you go for Charts? Is it free or do you have a membership somewhere?

4. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I work at an investment bank here in SLC so we have tools like Bloomberg terminals but you can get a ton a great data by just looking in Yahoo Finance or Google finance. When I was in school we used to setup dummy accounts on investopedia.com and. I’m not sure if they still have that available but it was a lot of fun.

Because of my position I have to jump through a ton of hoops for clearance to invest for my self because of insider info. So unfortunately I’m somewhat limited as to what I can readily trade but the markets are a fascinating thing to study. Be smart and do your homework.

5. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Oh I definately am. I've already lost about 40 grand in my house. I am definately being cautious with my other investments. I am becoming obsessed with learning this stuff. I have been going over Japanese Candlesticks right now. Just scratching the surface, but this stuff is just too cool.

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    look into index mutual funds. they stay current with the S&P 500 companies and tend to yield better results over a period of many years. more lucrative to the long haul investor

7. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Sido

Sido Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    This deserves it's own thread, but I'll answer you here. I was in the same boat, I knew nothing about investing and wanted to get started. I did it all wrong, but learned from my mistakes.

I don't mess around with individual stocks. There is too much specific, undiversifiable risk. Also, each trade (buy and sell) will cost you money (about 7-9 bucks), so the more stocks you buy, the more it will shave off your profit. Then you will have capital gains taxes to pay. Buying individual stocks is the "losers game." You will be competing against the mega investment banks and hedge fund managers and their rapid trading computer models. People do make money on individual stocks, we see what we want to see, and although they will have you believe it was some divine insight they had which led to the profit, it boils down to luck, pure and simple.

150 bucks is not enough to start investing. When you get to 1,000 then we can talk. There is a whole other side of things to consider too, such as maxing out your tax advantaged space (IRA/Roth IRA, 401(k), 403(b), TSP, ext) but that is another post in and of itself.

Here is what I suggest- instead of chasing the next hot stock, why don't you buy some of these books? It will give you a solid understanding and may be the most important books you ever read.

I will teach you to be rich
    All about asset allocation
    Common sense on mutual funds
    The only guide to a winning investment strategy you will ever need

I'm excited you have taken an interest in finance and investing. Read, read, and read, and don't jump in unprepared. Most people go through life being financially illiterate, so be wary of uncles, cousins, financial advisors (aka salesmen), and generally anyone else who wants to sell you something. Don't mix insurance with investing. And remember fees (i.e. expense ratios) do matter, and the average investor is served best by having a well diversified group of core (bond, us stock, intl stock) index funds.

8. Jan 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Vicorka

Vicorka New Member

Member:
    Check Charts at Stock Charts - I'm using them and quite happy with what I have.

9. May 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    JustBeGood

JustBeGood Member

Member:
    SJAFB
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB 4WD
    Singlecabguy,

1st lesson in making money is to not spend it unnecessarily. Go to the library to check out the books--THEY'RE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd lesson, learn why businesses fail or suceed and that will start you on the path to investing wisely. Know how to read balance sheets and income statements that you can get for just about any company--THEY'RE FREE!!!!!

3rd lesson, study Macroeconomics a little bit. With most industrialized (western) countries, their economies become more and more global every day. Find out how to tap into the next emerging market and buy companies that are positioning themselves for the future--think technology companies of 80's & 90's.

4th lesson, don'tbelieve all the hype you will hear from hundreds of so-called experts on TV, internet and myriad of other sources. Most if not all have an agenda that will put money in their own pocket. The one notable exception is Jim Cramer from the TV show "Mad Money." He has no personal investments. He's loaded already from managing a hedge fund earlier in his youth. He manages what's called a charitable trust only.

Final lesson, ONLY invest in companies/opportunities you know/understand.

I could go on forever, but like another poster said--read, read, read. Don't be intimidated by money. Your familiarization with techniques to amke money will grow with time spent LEARNING!

10. May 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I only invest in junior mining/exploration companies because I understand the field and feel comfortable doing it. However chart analysis etc is 99% useless with small-cap mining juniors so I never bother.

11. May 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Only one thing you need to remember:

Di-ver-si-fy.

:D

12. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    VeeSix

VeeSix Yotahead, Deadhead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tennessee, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    2018 Tacoma - gone 2003 Tacoma - gone 1983 FJ60 - gone 1988 BJ73 - gone 1992 FJ80 - eternal
    I trade through Schwab and use their software. Chart analysis like they teach in books is for two types of people: geniuses or psychotics. I watched my brother in law - not a dumb guy - turn a lot of money into a negative balance through a careful and studied application of chart analysis. "Head and shoulders...cup and handle...double bottom..." Now he's starting all over.

I presently have 2 positions - Home Depot and Boeing - and just sold out all of my 3rd, Greenbrier (they make rail cars) when it hit the sell point I chose. If HD makes it back to 80, I'm liquidating that one and will wait for the next time it's down to pick some back up. I'm sticking with Boeing for now. It's got "wings", no pun intended.

To answer the OP's question, I look at a stock's recent patterns over the past 1-2 years and match that with research on what was going on in the company during ups and downs in stock price. In weird markets like this one, many stocks will oscillate between "usual" lows and highs, and I can quite often time them. Not always. Home Depot was like a roller coaster going up for a long time, and I let it ride. Now it's in the doldrums and I'll take my profit when it's back up a little. I don't have a lot of money in, keeping about 25% in cash to take advantage of a good stock that takes a gut punch (such as when Boeing's batteries caught on fire - that was a big "BUY!!" signal to me) and this is the number of positions that I can research and "feel" well enough to gamble with. I kick myself every day for not buying Netflix when it was the national laughing stock. I would have quadrupled my money.

If you don't like this kind of thing, if the thought of it doesn't excite you and make you curious, put your money in a nice no-load index fund and go 4 Wheeling! Hell, you'll probably do as well as I do at the end of 20 years. But I love running my own money and so far I'm doing very well at it. Last year I earned about 25%. This next year I may have to eat my belt and burn the furniture to stay warm.

Products Discussed in

To Top