1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is a Mortgage refinance for me?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by Bloodhound, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound [OP] Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Currently I have been in the same house for 9 yrs and have always paid an extra approx. $175 a month average on the principal. The original loan was for 92,500 and the current pay-off is at 52,XXX. Should I look into refinacing at this time or just continue to pay extra on my payment as I have been doing. Currently, 6%, 30yr. fixed rate. I've tried playing with numbers a bit and haven't really seen any huge advantage unless I can drop to 4% 30yr.(and paying the usual).

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    4% may be a little optimistic as Wells Fargo has been hovering on average around 4.25% on a 30 year fixed. The question is how much is the refi going to cost you and will you benefit. My wife and I just refinanced down to 4.375% on a 30 year fixed. We could have gotten a lower rate but the loan fees would have been in around $6k. We ended up paying $800 and will save roughly $30,000 over the length of the loan but we owe $280k. Your amount is small so it may not be much of a benefit unless you can keep the loan fees way down.

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Talk to Dead Heretic , that's what he does for work

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have a calculator I built in excel to run re-fi numbers.

I plugged in your info (minus your escrow since you didn't list)

mtg_refi.jpg

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

Thanks for plugging the numbers for me...where I come into problems with is the refinance vs. paying over my principal payment. Last I was told was unless I can drop at least 2% it wasn't really a viable option when closing costs got figured in. I didn't include escrow due to the fact that it's kinda like herpes...you can try to hide it but it ain't going away.

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    TJGARZA84

TJGARZA84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    SAN ANTONIO
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER SR5 - BLACK
    TINT - 20% FRONT - 5% REAR 3 INCH LIFT PAINT TO MATCH GRILL AND REAR BUMPER REMOVED ALL EMBLEMS
    Yes and do it - im actually a loan officer and here are my 2 cents worth - refinance at a 10/15 year fixed rate and your payment may end up being about the same but what you are saving is the months off your note. Yes, refinances do cost money but you would be looking at about $3k closing on average but if you do the math you will save that on the overall cost of interest that you are currently paying.

I also see that you pay additional towards your monthly payment each month. If you are being honest that is awesome and thats the best way to pay down your debt quicker since most people pay the minimum amount due.

I strongly suggest you refinance because with the way the market is a 6% rate is way to high on a mortgage.

I understand why most go with a 30 year mortgage but if people do the math (real math) you will see the savings on a 10-15 year note even though your monthly payment will be higher.

This refinance deal all depends if you have your money for what the actual refinance will cost you at time of closing (roughly $3k). good luck in what you choose to do.

7. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Talk to your mortgage holder, instead of refinance just lower your rate. Cheaper that way.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I don't think it's that easy...otherwise everyone would be doing that and no one would re-fi.

9. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    It is that easy. Still pay to do it, but cheaper!

10. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Haha you're telling me. I have a 6.75, which was a great rate when I bought my house in 2007.

I have been wanting to re-fi for a while but I'm upside down on my house. I'm at about ~120% LTV now. However, based on the modifications to the HARP program (now allows up to 125% LTV) going into affect this month. I plan on calling about a re-fi on my house this week. If they say they can, I'll probably wait til February when I get my bonus so I can pay the closing costs in cash rather than rolling them into the loan.

11. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    this house stuff is a big headache ....im still learning it!! and theres also deductions or exemptions that can help lower your cost as well...

12. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:

I've never heard of someone being able to do that. Hmmm..interesting. I guess I can call, doesn't hurt to try. HAHA

13. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ^^^^^

14. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Big Banking Business what took you so long?? :D;):D

15. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    CrackerJackMack

CrackerJackMack First class awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 TRDoff
    Just for reference, Dec 2010 got refinanced on a 15yr 3.99% (65K + 5K closing). Just sold my home, and the loan was at 66K, but the payments + escrow were $400/mnth cheaper. I feel refinance was helpful since my wife got laid off.

Just bought a house with a loan of 175K, 4.25% 30yr. Payments after escrow and PMI are ~1400. (Job relocating me)

16. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    haha were puttin you to work x2....work and TW:rolleyes:

17. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now

I see said the blind man to his deaf son, who was not in the room, yet nodded in agreement.

Your advice sounds great and need to do the 15 yr refin myself & will take the suggestion on trying local!
    Thanks to the OP for asking the question. :)

18. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    absolutely. my wife and i refi'd to a 15-year @ 3.75% less than a year ago when rates were at all-time lows. they are even lower now i believe. keep in mind your final rate will be determined in part by your credit score/worthiness, regardless of what is advertised. everyone gets a 30-yr. mortgage cause it's easiest to afford, but if you run the long-term numbers it's obvious no one can "afford" to pay the interest incurred over such a long term. just my 2 cents:)

19. Nov 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    so you start with the 30 then refi to the 15?

20. Nov 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    I think tomorrow or Friday I will shop around for a 15yr mortgage... Based upon what I owe vs. the homes value I think I shouldn't have an issue.

As far as paying extra on the mortgage every month, what I have been doing all this time is:

1. rounding up to the nearest hundred dollars, even if it cost me $98.75 a month. Then,

2. adding another $100 dollars on top of that.

When I sat down and crunched numbers when I originally got the loan, I was told to pay ahead at least a $100 a month and the loan duration should drop down to 17.8yrs. or so.

Another on-topic question: For the loan closing cost, should I just pay that out of pocket or finance that into the loan...I would rather cough up 3K in advance and pay this MFer off...

Products Discussed in

To Top