Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Pay off debt or keep savings

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
OP pay your debt off. Sounds like you are making smart choices financially and will continue to.

jandrews very smart well thought out posts, seriously.
I completely respect your thought process and agree that there is a solid argument on home ownership. Not wanting to completely thread jack OP but I somewhat disagree with your home ownership stance. In the right demographical and geographical area and educating yourself it can be a very smart decision.
I have done the math on several occasions, buying vs renting and I fully understand your view. If the purchase is well planned and executed even in todays market there is money to be made, as I view it as a forced savings account. Some of the items you mentioned that the homeowner paid are also tax deductible. I feel that you and I as others can smartly discuss this for weeks in a different thread. Remember that even in a tough housing market in general, each state, county, city, and community has their own local market. In other words, in my community in Idaho the market is still achieving a steady housing growth and the properties I own and have owned have gained value, as a community in Cali, Ga, etc may have lost. Anyway, good points j and sorry OP.

Pay your debts off OP and enjoy not paying the "man" interest on a depreciating good.
Good points as well. I can't imagine place like Cali and how bad the housing market has gotten there. Both sides offer great arguments in buying vs renting. And don't get me wrong, I will own one day. WV has remained pretty stale lately with the housing market. Not to say if I ran across a great deal on a house or even some land to build on one day I wouldn't jump on it. That is my goal actually, buy some land then wait until my parents finish building their house in a couple years, buy their old trailer then live in it and build on my land. And no need to apologize, I don't consider this a thread jacking lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Oh yeah, one more thing: Don't get married either.
Almost made that mistake 2 years ago, gonna take a helluva woman to change that anytime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotagirl 05 View Post
You sound like a very smart young man, pay off the truck, and start that nest egg again!!
Thanks for the compliment, and for further supporting my case that really didn't need to be argued in the first place I don't reckon lol
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm in the same situation with my truck. Keep the savings just in case.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Land is a different story. As Mark Twain said: "Buy land. They've stopped making it."
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fixed that for you. The glut from the late 90s to the late 2000s was amazing. The market is still oversaturated, and the jackass development industry is getting back to building again.

Housing prices are still finding true market value. This is obvious in homes being short-sold with tax values WAY above the asking price. Investors are still getting the fuck out of real estate, which tells you further decline, not recovery, is coming down the pipe.
Investors are doing pretty good in my neighborhood . My house sold for 405k in 2005 . I picked it up in 2009 for 215k. Investors are picking up similiar short sales for about 215k and dropping in 15-20k in home depot cabinets/bathrooms etc and selling them for 285k regularly . I'd say close to half of my neighborhood has been foreclosed on in the last few years with more to come .
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Pay off debt and try not to owe anyone money. Having said that vehicles (even though Tacoma's hold their value) are not generally a good investment IMHO.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
My house sold for 405k in 2005 . I picked it up in 2009 for 215k.
Now imagine you'd picked it up in 2005 and were trying to sell in 2009.

Quote:
Investors are picking up similiar short sales for about 215k and dropping in 15-20k in home depot cabinets/bathrooms etc and selling them for 285k regularly.
If they're being short-sold, other investors are by default losing money. The demographic of "investors" isn't doing better overall, some investors are gaining from others' losses. That's sidestepping, not forward progress. The "new" investors are just smelling blood in the water from those that bought these properties during the bubble and are so far underwater they're surfacing on the other side of the globe.

Quote:
I'd say close to half of my neighborhood has been foreclosed on in the last few years with more to come .
Got that shit right.

Now, seriously, it's late. I'm going to sleep.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Investors are doing pretty good in my neighborhood . My house sold for 405k in 2005 . I picked it up in 2009 for 215k. Investors are picking up similiar short sales for about 215k and dropping in 15-20k in home depot cabinets/bathrooms etc and selling them for 285k regularly . I'd say close to half of my neighborhood has been foreclosed on in the last few years with more to come .
good golly $405k homes here in WV would be considered mansions. like 4500+ sq ft homes. The ones you see on tv more or less. In your case, if or when the market comes back you should have some serious equity in your home
Old 06-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #28
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
If i was lucky enough to be in your shoes, I would pay down the rzr's principal to a very few hundred dollars, interest is based off the principal of the loan. if the principal is very low, your interest on top will be very low. you can establish very good credit by making good consistent payments, and have your toys to yourself. As part of that plan, keep enough in the bank to pay it off, for two reasons, if you lose your job, you can pay it off and have no negative credit rating. also, toys are toys. if you break it, bad enough to where it is no longer fixable, you can either cash out huge and have enough to get another toy, or, put more money that you have essentially invested into something else.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
good golly $405k homes here in WV would be considered mansions. like 4500+ sq ft homes. The ones you see on tv more or less. In your case, if or when the market comes back you should have some serious equity in your home
Yeah it's not much in Cali . 1300 sqft but its our home . I don't think the market will come back much for atleast another 10 years . Probably never that good . The economy and inflation is insane .
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I remember in 10th grade my first job in a movie theatre I was getting paid $5.35 an hour and thought man one day if I can just get paid $20 an hour I'll be good . Sheeitt ! $20 an hour doesn't go very far these days .
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
The housing market is NOT dead everywhere. I bought a house a year ago for 438k and it appraised at 510k the day I did. Last month I did a refi and it appraised again at 510k. 70k in equity is nice out to start with. Try saving up that much. Nobody tells me what I can't do to the inside of it either. I write off taxes every year as well. Some of us enjoy doing things around our own houses. It all comes down to the starting price of the house. The goal is to own it by the time you retire. Then that tiny pension or 401k (if it
is still around) goes a lot further. Try paying rent when you are on SS
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Pay the Debt off and follow your plan of putting half the money back your right on track , I will agree with moving some toward a Roth as at your age you will do a bit better but know that I am not an investment counsler just been around the block a few times. You have a good head for money management for a younger person congrats on that , make sure though you have life insurance, disability insurance and renters don't over insure which is easy to do but have some. I know your young but things happen.

Cypher
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Referring to my earlier posts and appraisers...You haven't made a nickel on the purchase until you sell it, no matter what it appraises for.
I plan to live in it for a long time. My mortgage and taxes are less then I was paying when I rented it for a year before buying it. I get to write the taxes and interest off as well. not the best for every place but some places still make sense to buy. these days appraisers don't fuck around, if anything, they go low.i am not looking to make money by selling, but when I retire and my income is fixed, it will be nice to not have to pay $2300 per month in rent.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #34

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I own a condo that I could not sell so I rent it out now. The tenant is paying down my principle for me. I break even at the end of each year while m y principle drops. If the market ever comes back, I win on top.
If your job is in question, renting is the way to go by all means. Too many people can't go to where the work is because they cannot sell their houses.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
The housing market is NOT dead everywhere. I bought a house a year ago for 438k and it appraised at 510k the day I did. Last month I did a refi and it appraised again at 510k. 70k in equity is nice out to start with. Try saving up that much. Nobody tells me what I can't do to the inside of it either. I write off taxes every year as well. Some of us enjoy doing things around our own houses. It all comes down to the starting price of the house. The goal is to own it by the time you retire. Then that tiny pension or 401k (if it
is still around) goes a lot further. Try paying rent when you are on SS
Who took the hit for you to buy it 70k under the appraised value?

YOU are doing fine. The housing market, in entirety, in the United States, is in the shitter.

Quote:
Referring to my earlier posts and appraisers...You haven't made a nickel on the purchase until you sell it, no matter what it appraises for.
This. Illiquid assets look nice on paper, and that's the only place.

Quote:
I own a condo that I could not sell so I rent it out now. The tenant is paying down my principle for me. I break even at the end of each year while m y principle drops. If the market ever comes back, I win on top.
This is basically what I said earlier - home ownership makes sense if someone else is paying for it.

Quote:
If your job is in question, renting is the way to go by all means. Too many people can't go to where the work is because they cannot sell their houses.
As America goes more and more corporatist and ageist, I have a feeling this trend will only become more and more apparent. I also think the housing market is going to stay permanently depressed on account of:

- No repeats of the subprime fiasco.
- Millenial generation and their employers will come to view home ownership as an employment liability.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #36
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Back to the original topic...

I would keep the 10k in a savings account. What if you lose your job, get a cut in pay or the economy re-collapses? It is always smart to keep a savings cushion in case of emergency. Maybe invest the 10k in AA+ rated bonds, so at least you will yield around 5% (about $500/year). It's not a lot, but it is better than a few cents.

Use the $400 you are currently saving per month to apply as additional principle of the loan. That way, you keep your $10k, you are still making a little money on it, and it will cut the interest out-out-of-pocket and loan term in half.

Just my .02.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #37

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Who took the hit for you to buy it 70k under the appraised value?

YOU are doing fine. The housing market, in entirety, in the United States, is in the shitter.

This. Illiquid assets look nice on paper, and that's the only place.

This is basically what I said earlier - home ownership makes sense if someone else is paying for it.

As America goes more and more corporatist and ageist, I have a feeling this trend will only become more and more apparent. I also think the housing market is going to stay permanently depressed on account of:

- No repeats of the subprime fiasco.
- Millenial generation and their employers will come to view home ownership as an employment liability.
Maybe renting is the way to go right now for a younger person. A lot of area's very depressed as far as realestate goes, but NOT everywhere. Boston area never even slowed down as far as values go. Areas close are doing just fine and some are gaining. We have a bit of a microcosm with high tech and lower unemployment (around 6.5% I think). So all real estate is local. Do what suits the area and economy locally.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm... How to retire early from buying and selling Real Estate. Well at first I bought for appreciation. I'd buy the worst properties (usually distressed in very good areas - good schools.. low crime.. major shopping close by.. etc..) Fix em' up and dump em' quick... started in 1998. Buy 2002 I began to shift into cash flow commercial apts... medical office then my final 1031 exchange into a self storage facility ... Figuring once I had $1mil with a flip I'd do my final 1031 into a self storage facility in a great area - Mtn. View less than one mile from Google Headquarters... done at age 37 in 2004. The key to my goal was always buying in desirable areas... the art is in the buying - selling often times is not the focus ie.. when exchanging you are on a short time frame to identify a property of like kind... if you take too long selling you loose the focus needed for buying right.... Exchanges defer capital gains, however they get tricky with the short time frames to identify and close on the next buy... screw up - and you'll pay the capital gains and uncle sam won't even kiss you! Love talking about this stuff!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Maybe renting is the way to go right now for a younger person. A lot of area's very depressed as far as realestate goes, but NOT everywhere. Boston area never even slowed down as far as values go. Areas close are doing just fine and some are gaining. We have a bit of a microcosm with high tech and lower unemployment (around 6.5% I think). So all real estate is local. Do what suits the area and economy locally.
Not incorrect.

I still think on a conceptual basis it's not possible to make money on home ownership. I think you just fake it for a while. That's what got us our last crash. Everyone was making tons of cash on home value appreciation...until suddenly they weren't.

But yes, when you move away from concepts and into context, then things change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stowayman View Post
Hmmmm... How to retire early from buying and selling Real Estate. Well at first I bought for appreciation. I'd buy the worst properties (usually distressed in very good areas - good schools.. low crime.. major shopping close by.. etc..) Fix em' up and dump em' quick... started in 1998. Buy 2002 I began to shift into cash flow commercial apts... medical office then my final 1031 exchange into a self storage facility ... Figuring once I had $1mil with a flip I'd do my final 1031 into a self storage facility in a great area - Mtn. View less than one mile from Google Headquarters... done at age 37 in 2004. The key to my goal was always buying in desirable areas... the art is in the buying - selling often times is not the focus ie.. when exchanging you are on a short time frame to identify a property of like kind... if you take too long selling you loose the focus needed for buying right.... Exchanges defer capital gains, however they get tricky with the short time frames to identify and close on the next buy... screw up - and you'll pay the capital gains and uncle sam won't even kiss you! Love talking about this stuff!
A good textbook on riding a bubble upward. The problem is, predicting bubbles is hardish.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #40
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit this thread is awesome. Actual discussion going on in here. I have nothing beneficial to contribute, but I am here to learn as I find myself in generally the same position as I am guessing the OP is.