Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Good idea to make a little money?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea to make a little money?

I need opinions on if this is a good idea. I'm thinking about investing in LEDs. Like just the LED bulbs. I could buy them wholesale and get them cheap. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, just a little extra money. Do you think they would sell well? Plus doing this will get me into the idea of investing. I'm going into business in college.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Considered your market online or local or both?
Cost to ship if online
Time available to complete shipments and such

There are a lot of factors to consider
tally them up add them and see if you walk out with money
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaldo View Post
Considered your market online or local or both?
Cost to ship if online
Time available to complete shipments and such

There are a lot of factors to consider
tally them up add them and see if you walk out with money
Yeah. Need to add that up too. I need those small envelopes with the bubble wrap in them. I wonder how much those cost. And shipping costs
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
If you can point me in the direction to get interior led bulbs that would be great
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
The Blue Warrior

Its just an Idea and I'm getting opinions. I would be selling them in general, not just for here, but everyone as well. I considered this because if I did this, it won't blow a whole in my pocket if it didn't work out since LEDs aren't really expensive.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
The Blue Warrior

Feeler: If I invested, who all would buy? I need numbers. I would invest in 12v prewired LEDs too
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Oh. List of prices and items.
5mm LED - blue, green, orange, white, red. $0.50 each.
12v Prewired 5mm LED - blue, green, yellow, white, red. $1.00 each.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
You won't make any money selling LED's, as they're found cheaper than the prices you're listing online.

I would look into scrap metal or buying and reselling CL finds. You'll make more on one load of scrap metal than six weeks with 50 cent LED's that you're buying for 3 cents a peice.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately I don't think it is a good idea. just being honest. There are too many established providers already (internet, box stores etc.)
I would rather order from them than a guy selling them from his garage or bedroom closet.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
You won't make any money selling LED's, as they're found cheaper than the prices you're listing online.

I would look into scrap metal or buying and reselling CL finds. You'll make more on one load of scrap metal than six weeks with 50 cent LED's that you're buying for 3 cents a peice.
Hmmm, true. Thanks for the opinion
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Scrap metal is decent $$, if you can find the right/good scrap. There are guys who drive around to shops and buy the shop scrap metal, then take it down to the yard themselves.

Metal, like Hubs and Rotors, you have to have a lot of it. I recently loaded up the shop truck with almost 1 ton of scrap metal, took it down the scrap yard and got a little over $200.

I personally have a scrap stash building up. 5 Rads/Condensors, 5 sets of chrylser heater tubes. Radiator scraps are worth more than $1/pound. Misc solid aluminum parts (you don't get shit for "contaminated" aluminum), also have a small copper pile bulding up, as well as a brass pile. Also aluminum wheels are good scrap $$. I had 3 last time I went, I've got 1 now. Got about $35 out of the 3 wheels.

Converters are good $$, but for someone like you they'd be hard to find without stealing them. Scrap yard gave me $40 for a Chyrsler 300 converter, got $55 out of another Chrylser converter, have another one to take but it's like half full so I won't get as much.

My stash is honestly building is anticipation of this years TW Black Friday.

I have to get in on that shit.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Scrap metal is decent $$, if you can find the right/good scrap. There are guys who drive around to shops and buy the shop scrap metal, then take it down to the yard themselves.

Metal, like Hubs and Rotors, you have to have a lot of it. I recently loaded up the shop truck with almost 1 ton of scrap metal, took it down the scrap yard and got a little over $200.

I personally have a scrap stash building up. 5 Rads/Condensors, 5 sets of chrylser heater tubes. Radiator scraps are worth more than $1/pound. Misc solid aluminum parts (you don't get shit for "contaminated" aluminum), also have a small copper pile bulding up, as well as a brass pile. Also aluminum wheels are good scrap $$. I had 3 last time I went, I've got 1 now. Got about $35 out of the 3 wheels.

Converters are good $$, but for someone like you they'd be hard to find without stealing them. Scrap yard gave me $40 for a Chyrsler 300 converter, got $55 out of another Chrylser converter, have another one to take but it's like half full so I won't get as much.

My stash is honestly building is anticipation of this years TW Black Friday.

I have to get in on that shit.
Sweet
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
BIGGJERRYC is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
BIGGJERRYC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I need opinions on if this is a good idea. I'm thinking about investing in LEDs. Like just the LED bulbs. I could buy them wholesale and get them cheap. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, just a little extra money. Do you think they would sell well? Plus doing this will get me into the idea of investing. I'm going into business in college.
If you are still interested in this, I had started doing this on the side. I have alot of experience with trade shows and swap meets. I sold light bulbs at swap meets, made a killing.

I have three displays. Each one has a lightbulb...

One LED
One fluorescent
One incandescent

Each one has a volt meter attached to measure the draw. Calculate the draw into average cost of kilowatt hour and you end up with your energy costs. When people see what an LED costs compared to a regular light bulb and realize that they will make their money back in a month or two, they buy, and they buy alot.

I have stopped doing this because I don't have time. I have considered selling the setup, but at this time I am looking into getting back out to the shows in the summer.

Now, I do this on a home improvement scale so its geared more towards saving money...

my point here is that, if you can get the product and market it the right way, its a great idea.