Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Buy a house now? Or trailer now, house later?

View Poll Results: Buy trailer now? Or house later
Buy trailer now, save up some, sell it, buy a house later 18 20.45%
Screw the trailerhood life, save up now, buy house sooner 65 73.86%
You tell me 5 5.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #81
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupster88 View Post
Buying land and building is something I've always wanted to do. But quite frankly I don't have the carpentry, plumbing, or electrical skills to do so. Sure I can do the household repairs but not build a house. Or at least I don't think I can.
I didn't have all the skills either...
...so I learned some of the simpler ones on the job (like silver soldering copper plumbing pipes, and laying ceramic floor tiles). And I'm an electrician by trade, so I was familiar with the construction process. We hired small local companies for the stuff that was beyond our capabilities (like roofing, pumping a concrete foundation, and installing a septic system), and my wife and I worked as their laborers to help keep costs down.

By acting as general contractor, building a very simple plan using standard construction methods with nothing fancy (Home Depot), we were able to own a small home (including land) for under $170 a square foot in an area where comparable homes are presently selling for $700 a square foot.

Do a Google search: tiny homes and you will be amazed and inspired at the innovative homes people are building!

They're the wave of the future for Americans who want to build their own home but don't have a lot of money.

Quote:
How long did it take you to build from beginning to end?
It took 2 1/2 years to develop the raw land and one year to build.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #82
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I didn't have all the skills either...
...so I learned some of the simpler ones on the job (like silver soldering copper plumbing pipes, and laying ceramic floor tiles). And I'm an electrician by trade, so I was familiar with the construction process. We hired small local companies for the stuff that was beyond our capabilities (like roofing, pumping a concrete foundation, and installing a septic system), and my wife and I worked as their laborers to help keep costs down.

By acting as general contractor, building a very simple plan using standard construction methods with nothing fancy (Home Depot), we were able to own a small home (including land) for under $170 a square foot in an area where comparable homes are presently selling for $700 a square foot.

Do a Google search: tiny homes and you will be amazed and inspired at the innovative homes people are building!

They're the wave of the future for Americans who want to build their own home but don't have a lot of money.

It took 2 1/2 years to develop the raw land and one year to build.
That's freakin' awesome. As soon as I heard about the tiny house movement (about a year ago) I was in love with the idea. I'd much rather have a smaller home and a decently sized property for kids/dogs to run around on. Calgary is almost entirely suburban, and a lot of folks in my area have these large homes, and a large garage...and maybe 25 feet of yard space between the two. No thank ye.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #83
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.

The land surrounding a home is much more valuable for food production and recreation than being paved over with bloated urban structures.

A question clarifies the choice of priorities: Do you want to live in a monstrous McMansion surrounded by a concrete sidewalk that's a financial burden...

...or do you want to live in a small modest cottage surrounded by the beauty of nature that you own outright?

Even a small trailer on a small piece of land can be an asset, as you can live in the trailer while you build your home. We lived in a rented converted garage next door while we built.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #84
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Some very useful and valuable information. I'm going to look into the movement you're talking about. I've always preferred smaller houses over large ones in the first place. What size is your house if you don't mind me asking. Trying to get a feel for the "tiny house" movement. Lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #85
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

600sq ft = Tiny house
Airstream trailer = Reeeeeeally tiny house
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #86
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
600sq ft = Tiny house
Airstream trailer = Reeeeeeally tiny house
Wow that is tiny. The trailer I'm buying is almost 800sq ft!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #87
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I and 2 cats lived in a 300 sqft cabin for 2 years including 2 Canadian winters while we built our house

If you are somewhat organized it can be not too bad
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My wife and I and 2 cats lived in a 300 sqft cabin for 2 years including 2 Canadian winters while we built our house

If you are somewhat organized it can be not too bad
I'm organized, the girlfriend isn't. I'm trying to picture a cabin that small. The smallest I've stayed in is roughly 500sq ft.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #89
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some very useful and valuable information. I'm going to look into the movement you're talking about. I've always preferred smaller houses over large ones in the first place. What size is your house if you don't mind me asking. Trying to get a feel for the "tiny house" movement. Lol.
It's 1,150 square feet. 1 bd. 2 bath. Which by tiny house standards makes it large, but by normal standards it's small.

We compensated for the lack of space with an open loft design. The living room is only 12 feet wide, but it has a 21 foot high ceiling with 4'x4' skylights. Our only home heat is a wood stove.

Our property borders a State Park. That's why everything behind it in the picture is open land. This is looking out from the upstairs bdrm.

Tiny homes isn't a political movement like an angry group of people demanding rights from the government. It's an idea that's been around for a long time, and it appeals to the outer fringe of quirky do it yourself pioneer homesteader types.

Our tinyhome turned out so well, I built my 91 year old Mom her own genuine tinyhome in our back yard. It also has a similar design of an upstairs loft with a skylight, but on an even tinier scale.

This was during construction. There's a curtain between the bathroom area and the kitchen area.

It's a nice alternative to a old folks home.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #90
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I was just reading that interest rates are expected to go over 4% by the forth quarter of this year. If it does, that's one hell of a jump and a major increase in mortgage payments.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #91
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm organized, the girlfriend isn't. I'm trying to picture a cabin that small. The smallest I've stayed in is roughly 500sq ft.
The main area was 12'x20' with a little bump out on the side , we had a little kitchen , a shower , our bed and dressers , stacking washer / dryer , love seat and tv

We had a flush toilet in the shed about 40' from our shack

Tested the marriage : passed
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
It's 1,150 square feet. 1 bd. 2 bath. Which by tiny house standards makes it large, but by normal standards it's small.

We compensated for the lack of space with an open loft design. The living room is only 12 feet wide, but it has a 21 foot high ceiling with 4'x4' skylights. Our only home heat is a wood stove.

Our property borders a State Park. That's why everything behind it in the picture is open land. This is looking out from the upstairs bdrm.

Tiny homes isn't a political movement like an angry group of people demanding rights from the government. It's an idea that's been around for a long time, and it appeals to the outer fringe of quirky do it yourself pioneer homesteader types.

Our tinyhome turned out so well, I built my 91 year old Mom her own genuine tinyhome in our back yard. It also has a similar design of an upstairs loft with a skylight, but on an even tinier scale.

This was during construction. There's a curtain between the bathroom area and the kitchen area.

It's a nice alternative to a old folks home.
Dang that view is amazing, you did a great job on the house as well. Kinda cool how you utilized so much with the square footage you have. I'm definitely impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I was just reading that interest rates are expected to go over 4% by the forth quarter of this year. If it does, that's one hell of a jump and a major increase in mortgage payments.
Yeah at $150k, each .5% jump is about a $45/month jump in payment. I crunched some rough numbers just now. At 3.5% with 3.5% down payment financing $150k compared to 20% down, a jump in interest to 5.5% for the same amount: it's cheaper by almost $100/month to save up and put down 20% even with higher interest rates.

Quote:
The main area was 12'x20' with a little bump out on the side , we had a little kitchen , a shower , our bed and dressers , stacking washer / dryer , love seat and tv

Wow, I'd say that tested your space and bubbles. Glad y'all passed
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #93
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah at $150k, each .5% jump is about a $45/month jump in payment. I crunched some rough numbers just now. At 3.5% with 3.5% down payment financing $150k compared to 20% down, a jump in interest to 5.5% for the same amount: it's cheaper by almost $100/month to save up and put down 20% even with higher interest rates.
Is that based on a 15 year mortgage? 30 year mortgage would be more expensive at 5.5%.

15 year at 3.5% with 3.5% down = $1034
15 year at 5.5% with 20% down = $980

30 year at 3.5% with 3.5% down = $650
30 year at 5.5% with 20% down = $681
Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Is that based on a 15 year mortgage? 30 year mortgage would be more expensive at 5.5%.

15 year at 3.5% with 3.5% down = $1034
15 year at 5.5% with 20% down = $980

30 year at 3.5% with 3.5% down = $650
30 year at 5.5% with 20% down = $681
You are forgetting PMI. For a 30 year loan, 3.5% down @ 3.5% you'll have about $120/month extra on your payments. Therefore, waiting will save me ~$100/month in wasted PMI payments.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #95
Damn dirty Swede

Quote:

Sounds like a covenant relationship to me.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #96

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Sounds like a covenant relationship to me.
Lol
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #97
StrikeSwiftly is on a distinguished road
Army: 70TH Engineers
StrikeSwiftly's Tacoma Gallery
I can relate to this in a way or two.
There need to be a few things to think about. When I was faced with this similar decision I made the choice to buy a home and "invest". At that time I could have purchased a simple singlewide laid it on a piece of our property and went on.
Through the 6 years we have changed some things, but sadly we never had enough money to do it right. It was cover up jobs to fix issues and move on. 6 years later we have a child, wife has a new career (much better career) and we are primed and ready to make a move forward into something bigger and better, or at least just BIGGER.
Anyways we now have to funnel money back into this property just to bring it up to par and list it for a price to skimp out of it soon. We must keep our fingers crossed and be very proper just to sale a home around here. If you are like me and you and your family are in the progress of making forward movements. Meaning one day you hope to be making more money with a better education or experience etc I would chill in the trailer. I personally know of 3 or 4 people saling trailers with in a week or two of being listed in whatever shape they come.
Just my two cents, you can't predict the markets and you sure can't predict what the rates will be in the future.
Now if you do get you a home, try and get something you can "work with". Get something out of town or at least with plenty of room to add-on. I would assume had I knew know what I knew then I would have made that decision better.
Plenty of options, it just depends on what you plan on doing with your long term goals.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #98
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I totally understand...
What doesn't kill your marriage only makes it stronger.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #99
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are forgetting PMI. For a 30 year loan, 3.5% down @ 3.5% you'll have about $120/month extra on your payments. Therefore, waiting will save me ~$100/month in wasted PMI payments.

Don't know who's doing your PMI, but we pay about $52/mo PMI on a $116,000 loan...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #100
SAY MY NAME

Quote:
This is true, but once you get equity into your home you will drop your PMI lowering your payment anyway. It's sounds like you are able to save a substantial amount over a few years, which you could be putting into the mortgage payments to get you to the 20% equity to drop PMI. It would be cheaper in the long run. Just a thought.