you have $2,000 to invest. Now what?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
azsean is on a distinguished road
Name: sean
azsean's Tacoma Gallery
VEGAS !!!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
$2,000 on red!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have your rainy day fund set up? I move for retirement funds.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've had this "extra" money sitting in my gun safe for a couple years now not collecting interest or anything... Just sitting there. I've pulled money from it a few times to buy things we needed for the house but I always add back to it later.

I just thought that maybe I could invest it or put it in an account for a year or so and have it make a little money. Putting it into silver doesn't sound too bad, ill check into that. And I will also look at opening an IRA.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I've had this "extra" money sitting in my gun safe for a couple years now not collecting interest or anything... Just sitting there. I've pulled money from it a few times to buy things we needed for the house but I always add back to it later.

I just thought that maybe I could invest it or put it in an account for a year or so and have it make a little money. Putting it into silver doesn't sound too bad, ill check into that. And I will also look at opening an IRA.
Horrible idea, PM's are not a smart investment. If you already have other investments in place, it's not a bad idea to keep a couple thousand in cash handy.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Either a 12 month CD, or if you are savvy with watching stocks (assuming you have an IRA account in good standing) I'd go with the latter.
This.

$2k is not enough to do anything in the market that is worthwhile.
You can perhaps buy into a mutual fund so you get some protection with diversification, but 99 times out of 100, people put $2k into "a hot stock" and watch it turn into $1k in 3 months, then they sell and lose another block of commission, and what they move that $1k to end up taking, while the original stock turns around and had they left it alone, it would have been up to $4k.

CD rates are bad, but they are better than jumping into today's overinflated market with only $2k.

Opening an IRA could be the smartest thing to do with it. It comes off of your taxable income, so it'll save you as much as $800 on your taxes this year... just keep feeding money into the account up to your limit every year if you can afford it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Roth IRA
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
I would invest half of it in low-risk mutual funds, and then take the other half over to your friend Asadullah, who works in, uh, securities.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
What you should consider for an investment should be driven in large part by when you might need/want the money. This term will help define what investments are appropriate. E.g., (guidelines, not rules...)

- < year - savings account, MM
- 1-3 years - short term bonds
- 3-5 years - mid-term bonds
- > 5 years - stock, stock funds

Last thing you want is the stock market tanking when you need the money. Also money sitting in the mattress (gun safe...) for long periods of time is also a loss. But if an investment makes you nervous, chances are it's too risky for you, back off to something safer.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Get a gold claim and dredge the crap out of it
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
ROTH IRA no doubt,Preferred Stock
this. starting is clearly the hardest and biggest step/hurdle. all my friends that start, keep it up.

i vote you start. i havent, but we keep up with my wife's..i have other options going.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Buy stocks in Toyota......