Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

how often do you "peek in" on your 401k?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
how often do you "peek in" on your 401k?

i need to stop. now!

it is like a roller freakin coaster. it ratchets up, and makes me happy..but when it drops. crestfallen. lucky it is always trending up.

i am far from retirement. i started my 401k late by today's standards, but i hit it with full force and maxed out pretty much from the get go.

i just need to delete the link. haha..crazy the powers of compounding interest.

you a peeker?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Planning on starting mine in a few months so sub'd.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i need to stop. now!

it is like a roller freakin coaster. it ratchets up, and makes me happy..but when it drops. crestfallen. lucky it is always trending up.

i am far from retirement. i started my 401k late by today's standards, but i hit it with full force and maxed out pretty much from the get go.

i just need to delete the link. haha..crazy the powers of compounding interest.

you a peeker?
try not to...
only peek to rebalance or review your current allocations. that is important.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
I look at the quarterly statements and that's it. If I looked everyday I would have an aneurysm.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Ha, I'm one of the ones that checks it almost daily (at least weekly). I don't worry so much about the day to day change, but I monitor pretty closely my allocations and monthly/quarterly fluctuations for each fund. I don't get charged fees to do any re-allocations or transfers, so I'm constantly changing funds around to try and maximize my gains. I also like to see if any funds I'm not invested in are trending upwards.

I'm also almost 30 years from retirement, so I can afford to try some new things.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I get an annual statement, otherwise I forget about it pretty much.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
I like to look a couple times a week at least to track performance
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Used to look daily...tracking value change % daily in MS Excel.

I'm over it, I now might look at it every 3 months...
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I don't check mine often, but then again, I don't know what all that stuff means. I started my 401k when I was 22, (3 years ago), so there's not a whole lot in there. Oh well. My idea of "retirement" is workin' the fields of my family's farm, and building truck armor at my own pace
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
I'm the opposite. When it rachets up, I feel very apprehensive, just like I do on a roller coaster as you ratchet up the drop hill... when it drops, I relax and know all is right with the world
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I look at the quarterly statements pretty close, keep a eye on the market almost daily. But I trust my adviser, hey, he made me 12% last year
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I look at it quite often. I don't DO anything with it though.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I check often just to make sure all of the contributions coming out of my check are going into it on a regular basis.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Derfus is on a distinguished road

Derfus's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a state agency and don't have a choice in the matter. I must contribute 5% and cannot do more or less. I can't change anything about it but get to see how much I lost in the quarterly mailer. I enrolled in an additional pretax 401 and contribute less than half of what my primary 401 gets and it has grown far faster. I would love for them to let me handle my own, not that I'm good at investments but seem to be better than the "pro" they have now.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I started mine 25 years ago...I think?? Back when I started working at McDonalds when I was 17. Yikes....
I contribute 6% and that was because my employer used to contribute to it...NOT anymore. So, its kinda pointless to do more than that at this point in time.

I get quarterly statements - so I don't go in and look at it like I should.

My investment profile used to be very 'aggressive' prior to the economy bomb. Sometime during that time, I changed the profile to a more stable one. It's been that way ever since. During the economy bomb, it dropped like a stone....but has since recovered all of it and growing.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Every so often, but I tend to peek at my Roth IRA more often. I will, however, raise my contribution after raises, etc. - I don't miss the money and it will help out more later. If, for some reason, I need to reduce the contribution, it is a simple click away. Like I tell my coworkers who nutted up after the market craziness, one has to look at the big picture and not just now...