Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

401k and investments

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #41
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
Yes, that's very true. School IS the most important thing right now, but I feel like I can still focus on investments, right? I mean it's not a time consuming thing. I work 10 hrs/week during the semester and I will be interning every summer at nice pay, and 80% of everything I make will be put into an investment account.
Perfect time for you to do some research on funds/investing while you get ready for the "real" world .

Again, I like to browse discussion groups, my preference are the groups on Morningstar, to build real world knowledge from people who have done this and been through a few investing cycles. Those groups will lead you to good resources for further research.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #42
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Perfect time for you to do some research on funds/investing while you get ready for the "real" world .

Again, I like to browse discussion groups, my preference are the groups on Morningstar, to build real world knowledge from people who have done this and been through a few investing cycles. Those groups will lead you to good resources for further research.
I will look into that. I researched Edward Jones before I invested with them, and got a lot of negativity about the fees and some positive feedback as well. Do you (or anyone else here) have experience with them (Or other brick and mortar investing companies)?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #43
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will look into that. I researched Edward Jones before I invested with them, and got a lot of negativity about the fees and some positive feedback as well. Do you (or anyone else here) have experience with them (Or other brick and mortar investing companies)?
Personally no, and no on the brick and morter places. All my money is in employer 401k's, and rollovers and non-retirement $$$ is in Vanguard. IMHO, if you have a choice stick with Vanguard or TIAA-CREF as they seem to stay true to consideration for the investor, as opposed to money making for themselves (e.g., lower fees, control manager turnover, no 12b-1 fees). I'm sure there are others though, this is where the research comes in.

I'll say this again too, nothing wrong with opening an investment account with whomever makes sense to you, then just stick the money into a money market, or some safe cash alternative until you get comfortable with the funds/investments you want. Losing a few months of possible gains is probably cheaper then losses, buy/sell fees or redemption fees to change.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #44
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Personally no, and no on the brick and morter places. All my money is in employer 401k's, and rollovers and non-retirement $$$ is in Vanguard. IMHO, if you have a choice stick with Vanguard or TIAA-CREF as they seem to stay true to consideration for the investor, as opposed to money making for themselves (e.g., lower fees, control manager turnover, no 12b-1 fees). I'm sure there are others though, this is where the research comes in.

I'll say this again too, nothing wrong with opening an investment account with whomever makes sense to you, then just stick the money into a money market, or some safe cash alternative until you get comfortable with the funds/investments you want. Losing a few months of possible gains is probably cheaper then losses, buy/sell fees or redemption fees to change.
So with something like Vanguard you just do all the research yourself and make your own decisions on investments? I'm stuck with EJ right now as I have a lot in there, but I'm confident that it will be profitable in the future. What is a TIAA-CREF?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #45
velillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to all
Name: Nick
velillen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So with something like Vanguard you just do all the research yourself and make your own decisions on investments? I'm stuck with EJ right now as I have a lot in there, but I'm confident that it will be profitable in the future. What is a TIAA-CREF?
Vanguard let's you buy exactly what you want as long as they offer it. Low fees. But most funds have a 3k minimum investment as well.

They do offer financial planning as well but not sure how it is. It's still pretty new from them.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post
Vanguard let's you buy exactly what you want as long as they offer it. Low fees. But most funds have a 3k minimum investment as well.

They do offer financial planning as well but not sure how it is. It's still pretty new from them.
That isn't an issue. I think I'm going to keep pumping money into my EJ account since I already have it though. Why do some people have multiple accounts?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #47
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Capital Preservation Fund

I understand a Capital Preservation Fund is less likely to have significant market fluctuations (good or bad), and is best for people nearing retirement to try to maintain/preserve wealth.

What could cause these Capital Preservation Funds to decline? Are they tied to the bond market? If that is it the case, I fear that when interest rates finally rise, the bond market will suffer.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #48
CA05OR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CA05OR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
I understand a Capital Preservation Fund is less likely to have significant market fluctuations (good or bad), and is best for people nearing retirement to try to maintain/preserve wealth.

What could cause these Capital Preservation Funds to decline? Are they tied to the bond market? If that is it the case, I fear that when interest rates finally rise, the bond market will suffer.
Newb here to tacomas, but have been in the finance world for a while. Answer is a little late, but you are correct here, capital preservation funds are bond heavy (generally in U.S. Treasuries and Agencies). Much lower systematic risk but you are correct about rising rates hurting your returns.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #49

Does anyone still read this? I have proudly stopped funding my EJ account (Mostly) and am now independently buying stocks with Scottrade. Made my first profit today.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #50
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd -time for bed . . .or is it??? . . . . zz peace out
Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #51
CA05OR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CA05OR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone still read this? I have proudly stopped funding my EJ account (Mostly) and am now independently buying stocks with Scottrade. Made my first profit today.
Yep, I'm still reading.

I assume you got rid of your advisor and are buying the stocks you want for yourself without the fees associated? Or are you talking 401K?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #52
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Who is looking at Alibaba!!?? I put half the money in my portfolio into Yahoo about a week before Alibabas IPO. Im already into the profits and I am waiting for the big day this friday. After that I am dumping Yahoo almost immediately.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA05OR View Post
Yep, I'm still reading.

I assume you got rid of your advisor and are buying the stocks you want for yourself without the fees associated? Or are you talking 401K?
I didn't get rid of my advisor because my EJ is still in the red. To withdraw would be to finalize my losses. Once the stocks I have in there go up enough to compensate for the fees I paid I am withdrawing my money and putting it into my scottrade account or another market account. And I don't know anything about 401Ks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
Who is looking at Alibaba!!?? I put half the money in my portfolio into Yahoo about a week before Alibabas IPO. Im already into the profits and I am waiting for the big day this friday. After that I am dumping Yahoo almost immediately.
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...nk=quicklinks#

Why does this show 0.00?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #54
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
The stock has not started trading yet! Friday! it is expected to be the biggest stock to ever open up!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #55

So... We buy it?
Old 09-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #56
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Outch.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #57
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
You guys realize that stock trading is as bad as gambling, the odds are stacked aganst you.

A three fund portfolio, in low cost INDEX funds is low maintenance and the only way to guarantee your fair share of stock market returns.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #58
In February 1967 the world became a better place!
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G17GUY View Post
You guys realize that stock trading is as bad as gambling, the odds are stacked aganst you.

A three fund portfolio, in low cost INDEX funds is low maintenance and the only way to guarantee your fair share of stock market returns.
X2
Contribute to employer 401k to the match, $5500/yr. into a Roth IRA, back to the 401k to total 15% of your gross income.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #59
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Stocks are very risky. Parents lost almost a million in the crash in the 90's

What I am doing now is contributing first to my Roth and then to an 401k but my company doesn't match. If your company matches I would put into that first until you max the matching by the company.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #60
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yahoo was up 27% from mid june of this year till baba released. This was driven from the baba release. Prior to this yahoo was struggling. If it were me i would dump yahoo asap.