1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I sell my property?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by Mainmoe02, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I have an acre and a half of real estate (land only) that I listed for sale this week. The land is in a rapidly growing area of Austin. I bought it for very cheap a couple years ago. I had it listed on Monday and received 2 offers this week which started a bidding war and now I'm looking at an offer more than my asking price. I'm supposed to sign the final offer paper work tomorrow. The land is very awkward as it has a major creek running through the middle. That being said only half the property is build able due to half of it being creek level which floods quite often. The other build able half is about 50ft higher than the creek and is very usable and can be built-on but has to be started from scratch because water, gas, sewage, electrical, all have to be dug up and connected to the main lines of the subdivision next door. Building from scratch was my first goal but after researching the cost, there was now way. So, it's been sitting there for 3 years.

After talking with my brother, he thinks I'm a fool for listing it now. He feels I should sit on it a couple more years and get 5 times the offer I have now. The lot is about 3 blocks off a main highway and he feels that eventually a commercial buyer will come along and want to build condos or something similar. I understand his thinking because Austin is growing and the location is very desirable.

So my questions are...

1. Is it possible to find out future plans that the city or builders may have for developing an area or plot of land? I'm curious if the potential buyers know something I don't know and that's why they want it so bad.

2. Should I sell or should I find another way to get my self out of debt. I don't want to get greedy but also don't want to have regret 5 years down the road.

I bought the property as an investment property. I'm in need of $ because my debt keeps rising and I'm sick of struggling. I'm also 2 years behind on property taxes which is another reason I need to figure something out.

Not sure what the best move is at the moment, or what I should do. When I bought the land 3 years ago there was no interest for that seller. His starting asking price was $90k and slowly worked down to $20k and then he just needed it gone and I bought it for less than half of that. I'm now the seller and I was expecting to not have much interest but with it being the first week it's been listed we've been offered more than our asking price. I have a wife and kids and $ is tight with debt piling up, so selling it makes sense when I think about them, but it also makes me wonder what the potential earnings could be 5 years down the road. I don't want to be greedy and scare these interested buyers away, nor do I want to miss out on an even greater return on investment if I were to wait.

Any input is welcome

2. Aug 28, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    chris5255

chris5255 Me mber

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport-'07 FJ Cruiser
    BAMF Sliders Fog light switch mod, Pelfreybilt Front bumper, Warn Zeon10 winch pinstriping for speed
    It sounds like you are in a good situation having a couple of different options. I have been doing real estate, specifically land and development properties for almost 20 years here in the Seattle area. Here is the advice I always give to potential land buyers. When buying land always have a specific purpose in mind including a timeline. I usually advise people not to buy land just as an investment.
    Rules for land development change over time. Sometimes it increases value but sometimes it makes property undevelopable. In this area rules for building near streams get stricter every year and I know a lot of people who now have very pretty but useless land because it has a stream on it.
    If you have a good offer now I think selling is a good option. You may be able to use part of the money as a down payment on a cheap rental property which is a better investment because it brings money in each month as well as going up in value.
    This is just my opinion because I don't know the local situation there but I think there are better uses for your money unless you plan to develop yourself or unless you know for sure environmental rules will stay the same and you now value will go up.
    Good luck

3. Aug 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Thanks Chris! I was hoping to get some info from someone in real estate. I'm 90% leaning toward going forward with the selling process

4. Aug 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    If you can swing it, keep it for a few more years. But, if you're really struggling, then sell it.
    You might want to research what the city/county's growth plan is. If development is something that is still going to be going on for the next several years, then it will only go up in value. If the county if hitting its max for development for their growth plan, then it might be a good idea to sell now.
    You might also want to check with your local RCD (resource conservation district). They are a non-regulatory agency that helps landowners with resource issues on their property. Now, you might not have any specific problems but you might want to ask if they have any information about the creek that runs through it or water rights. They might not know a damn thing but I know the RCD I currently work for has a LOT of knowledge about everything I have mentioned.
    But, at the end of the day you need to provide for your family. If that means selling the land, then sell it.

Good luck though!

5. Aug 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    If you can swing it, keep it for a few more years. But, if you're really struggling, then sell it.
    You might want to research what the city/county's growth plan is. If development is something that is still going to be going on for the next several years, then it will only go up in value. If the county if hitting its max for development for their growth plan, then it might be a good idea to sell now.
    You might also want to check with your local RCD (resource conservation district). They are a non-regulatory agency that helps landowners with resource issues on their property. Now, you might not have any specific problems but you might want to ask if they have any information about the creek that runs through it or water rights. They might not know a damn thing but I know the RCD I currently work for has a LOT of knowledge about everything I have mentioned.
    But, at the end of the day you need to provide for your family. If that means selling the land, then sell it.

Good luck though!

6. Aug 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Do you need the money?

Guessing what any town will do is just that a guess. If Austin is like most town the elected leaders / planners change. That said, Austin does seem to be pretty regulated (from what I've read for Texas).

If I were selling, I'd be selling soon. If the fed follows through with the tightening of money after December of this year I somewhat expect a down turn (across all markets and sectors). If the fed decides to keep dumping $ then it's not such an issue.

The other thing about ground is, there's no more of it being made. And if ebola and the terrorist don't kill us all off than the increasing population should drive prices over the longer term excluding local exceptions for condition and zoning.

So there you have my opinion which is...I don't know. I guess if I needed or wanted to use the cash, I'd sell it in the next few months otherwise, I might be prepared to hold onto it for a while.

7. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You posted that you are struggling with debt piling up, and behind on property taxes, sell it and don't look back!
    Couda, shuda, wouda, don't pay the bills!!!!!!
    JAO :notsure:

8. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Property in the Austin, TX area is only destine to rise :). How much do you need the money?

9. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    2 years behind on property taxes...that's my answer right there. If you can't afford taxes now, can you really expect to be able to do so in the future? How long do you have before the city forecloses and sells it in a tax sale? In some states it's as little as 3 years. You could lose the property for nothing if you're not careful.

10. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    It's a great piece of land that I can see why it would be wanted now. Just in the past 5 years the location of the property is now almost central Austin. Like I said before, the whole plan when I bought it was to sit on it for years and sell 20 years from now. I've exhausted my loan options and need to pay those off before I could even afford to pay the property taxes which went from $400/ year, and now it's up to $2400 a year. After paying monthly credit card bills along with normal bills (we've cut back on those as much as possible) it leaves us with enough to get buy. I think the best thing for our family would be to get it sold. I'm actually scheduled to close on the 10th so if all goes well it should be done by then. I bought it as a cheap investment and hopefully it'll give me 10 times what I put into it.

The part that makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing... I bought it for $8K and now selling it for more than 10 times that, that's in just 3 years of ownership and minor improvements. I wonder what it'll be worth in 5 years, or 10 years, or 20 years...?
    That's what has me questioning my decision to get rid of it now.
    I guess I have no choice really, kinda need it. I've never been in debt but now I owe about 10k in credit cards and other bills I'm behind on. I think this being my first time in debt is making me over react about the whole situation.
    I know some people will say 10k is nothing but for me to owe $ makes me really uncomfortable. If it was a credit card I knew I could pay off quick, that would be different. In my case I'm afraid it's gonna keep going up if I don't take care of it now.

If this does go through and we close next week then I plan on buying another piece of real estate to keep as an investment for as long as possible.

I'm rambling on, kinda typing my thoughts as I'm contemplating my decisions in my head. Thanks for y'all's help! Everyone's opinion has made me think a lot

11. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Do you have a 65? I had one with a 289, auto, with working factory AC. It was my first car up until a year ago. I had it parked at my uncles dealership, and it flooded, water was up to the roof. After that it was too much work so I sold it. It was in great shape, even after a announcing water damage it still brought $4,000 at the auction. These are great cars, it was always my trusty backup vehicle and weekend vehicle, always started on 1st try for all 12 years I owned it. I miss it now.

12. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You can debate a million times "what will it be worth in X years" until you are blue in the face. The key here is that you are in a precarious situation as it is with the property tax. You could risk losing the property and getting ZERO for it. Right now you mention getting 10 times what you have in it. That is a 1000% profit. Pretty dang good numbers I would say. If you could afford to hold onto it without any undue financial strain, then I would say hold onto it. But since you are already in a bad spot, the best thing to do is take your profit and walk away.

13. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Talk to all the people in AZ, FL, CA, NV, MN, and other states who thought their property values would do nothing but climb, circa 2008. Or farmers whose ag land values tanked in the 80s after a strong 70s. You've made 1000% return in 3 years. The key to good investing is knowing when a bubble is going to hit and selling high, not holding too long because you think returns are assured and then getting screwed when the market tanks. Personally, I'd sell even if I didn't need the cash. That kind of return is great, and allows you to keep reinvesting.

I do, yeah. It's also a 289, auto, factory AC/console car. It was my first car too, about 13 years ago. I just dumped a bunch of money into making it a way better driving car, actually. I have a very weak build thread on here about it. Check it out!

14. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Exactly, I'm telling my self the same thing.

My realtor said the exact same thing about the "bubble" and "knowing when to sale".

Thanks for the reminders guys. It helps put my situation into perspective
    And reminds me that this is what I "need" to do.

15. Nov 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    AZ Tacoma

AZ Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 884x coils, Icon AAL, Bilstein 5100 shocks, P265/75/R16 tires
    SELL IT! To be a winner in the real estate game you need to know when to get out. 1000% over 3 years equals a bubble. I know Austin is great location but I would be shocked if we didn't get anther market correction before the end of 2016. Plus you are behind on its taxes and have other debts. Take the money! Do the right thing and get yourself out of bad debt (i.e. debt that doesn't make you money).

16. Nov 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    War Eagle

17. Nov 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Oh I sold it. It was a great deal and Debt was piling up. Sold it a couple
    Months ago and am now debt free with a hug down payment just waiting to put toward a new house. Also want to use some of the funds to buy another cheap piece of property and try to sit on it for as long as possible.

18. Nov 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Debt free at 30--Smart move!

19. Nov 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Smart move.

Only speculate with what you can afford to lose without being bothered at all.

20. Nov 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    OP. I used to live in Austin a few years ago (okay actually in Lake Travis) and my sister is a realtor there still. I talk to her and she is convinced that real estate values are in for a big correction in the next few years. I would say sell it now and move on. Travis county is over valued and with all of the people moving there the issues of traffic and over population will likely cause some stagnation of property prices versus surrounding areas.

I would say sell it!

Products Discussed in

To Top