Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Online Trading?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Online Trading?

Ok, maybe you chumps and chumpettes didnt know it, but you've been hanging out with the next Trump.... me! Problem is i'm just now learning to invest. So here's the deal. First question....

1) What is the best online trading broker? please give me reasons to back up your response and dont just mimic commercials or online adds. I prefer responses from people who actually invest. E-trade, scottrade, ameritrade.... what are the advantages and disadvantages?

2) Secondly, if anyone has any good online resources i'd appreciate it if you could share them. for example, some sites have graphs that are easier to read and the info is more user friendly than other sites. Some sites you have to search forever to find what your looking for as far as stock history's and all that. So if you invest i'd love to know what sites help you out the most. and i promise you this. if you give me good info on this thread, i'll buy you a new taco after i make my second billion.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to mention that after i make my first billion.... i'm gonna buy Texas!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I do my investing with mutual funds through USAA. I've never actually bought stocks. Are you trying to get in on the recession low prices?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I do my investing with mutual funds through USAA. I've never actually bought stocks. Are you trying to get in on the recession low prices?
Right now i have an old 401(k) that is in a mutual fund. i want to roll it over into something (i'm guessing an IRA) that i can manipulate myself. I have a gamblers personality and like the idea of buying and selling stocks. Since i cant touch the 401(k) till i'm 65, i dont really care if i lose it or not. i figure it will serve as a good learning tool and if i do well with it then i'll start investing money from my banking accounts. Gotta start somewhere, and it might as well be with money you wont miss right? i'm trying to lear Warren Buffets strategy. he uses psychology and sociology to predict market trends way before they happen. Thats why he dominates the stock market (he is the 3rd richest man in the world) people set market trends, so if you can predict people you can predict the market..... if you are good. unfortunately you have to practice to be good so i might as well get started on a side note i may not make the Carolina Meet since there is a good chance i will lose everything i own to the stock market by the end of next week
Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
I like Ameritrade. Their online research tools are awesome. I split my money among stocks and mutual funds in totally different markets so I won't be shit out of luck if some industry collapses (like the web bubble in the late 90s, I know a few people who bet it all and still are paying for it).

With your gambler personality be careful coz it can be addictive. Have you picked a stock site already? This thread is about 9 days old...
Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the people I know use Ameritrade and like it. I gave my money to professionals awhile ago after hanging on too long to a "Sure Thing". Not enough time to monitor it.

Just Remember : "Bulls and Bears make money and the sheep are lead to slaughter." Don't be a sheep!!!

As far as buying Texas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I forgot to mention that after i make my first billion.... i'm gonna buy Texas!

I think for a 6-pack of Bud Light they would give you the keys to the whole state. But then what would you do with it?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #7

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
I like Ameritrade. Their online research tools are awesome. I split my money among stocks and mutual funds in totally different markets so I won't be shit out of luck if some industry collapses (like the web bubble in the late 90s, I know a few people who bet it all and still are paying for it).

With your gambler personality be careful coz it can be addictive. Have you picked a stock site already? This thread is about 9 days old...
I haven't picked a site yet. I have heard alot of good stuff about Scottrade but it looks like you have to keep some minimums in their accounts. Right now i'm not putting alot in so i dont want to have to worry about minimum account numbers. I have been spending alot of time on Motleyfool.com just trying to learn all i can. trying to figure out all the confusing lingo and all the little details. I'm also trying to figure out if i can roll my 401(k) over myself or if i have to go find a profesional to do it. so you use Ameritrade, do you know anything about etrade or scottrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Backcountry View Post
Most of the people I know use Ameritrade and like it. I gave my money to professionals awhile ago after hanging on too long to a "Sure Thing". Not enough time to monitor it.

Just Remember : "Bulls and Bears make money and the sheep are lead to slaughter." Don't be a sheep!!!

As far as buying Texas:

I think for a 6-pack of Bud Light they would give you the keys to the whole state. But then what would you do with it?
What will i do with Texas when i buy it? good question..... sink it, burn it, or blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
yes you can

that is what i lived off of for 6 years before i got ssi !
i have a "finance guy" that did the magic for me and worked out pretty good !
I know i can technically take it out, but if i take it out before i certain age i am taxed and penalized so i only get like 50% of it. i would rather use it to get use to the stock market. Sort of like "play money" when you play online poker.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Ameritrade for trading.

The Motley Fool for stock and trading advice. Seriously.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
You should consider commodity trading. Much more exciting and bigger profits. Talk to your trader about it. I suggest you invest in grain and seeds. Its a win-win situation. If the market crashes, you can peck away at the seeds.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
wait a sec, why are we giving nate advice. We all know he doesn't have any money!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #11

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
You should consider commodity trading. Much more exciting and bigger profits. Talk to your trader about it. I suggest you invest in grain and seeds. Its a win-win situation. If the market crashes, you can peck away at the seeds.
i dont have a trader. plus, if i could invest in commodity's and then keep them if they didnt do well, i would invest in beer. thats a commodity right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
wait a sec, why are we giving nate advice. We all know he doesn't have any money!
Duh, thats why i'm investing. i dont have money now but after i invest i'll be rich!!! Dont you know anything? Nobody in the history of America has ever lost money on the stock market, its a sure thing! I dont know why everybody isn't trading stocks. Now i just have to go to a loan shark and borrow about 25k. i'll have that trippled in the first day. its fool proof!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i would invest in beer. thats a commodity right?
I consider Beer more a necessity! I invest in it all the time but I keep losing my initial investment.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #13
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Backcountry View Post
I consider Beer more a necessity! I invest in it all the time but I keep losing my initial investment.
You mean you keep flushing your investment down the drain .
Old 05-12-2008, 02:00 AM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Ok, maybe you chumps and chumpettes didnt know it, but you've been hanging out with the next Trump.... me! Problem is i'm just now learning to invest. So here's the deal. First question....

1) What is the best online trading broker? please give me reasons to back up your response and dont just mimic commercials or online adds. I prefer responses from people who actually invest. E-trade, scottrade, ameritrade.... what are the advantages and disadvantages?

2) Secondly, if anyone has any good online resources i'd appreciate it if you could share them. for example, some sites have graphs that are easier to read and the info is more user friendly than other sites. Some sites you have to search forever to find what your looking for as far as stock history's and all that. So if you invest i'd love to know what sites help you out the most. and i promise you this. if you give me good info on this thread, i'll buy you a new taco after i make my second billion.
I use Sharebuilder. No minimum amount to buy. I have bought stocks with $50 before. They have 3 types of accounts. I use the free one(no monthly fee) $4 a trade to buy. I think they charge $11.95 to sell. They have one that is $12 a month with 6 free trades.

A good site to learn http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
I use Sharebuilder. No minimum amount to buy. I have bought stocks with $50 before. They have 3 types of accounts. I use the free one(no monthly fee) $4 a trade to buy. I think they charge $11.95 to sell. They have one that is $12 a month with 6 free trades.

A good site to learn http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/
Thanks for the response Sean but i pulled the trigger a few weeks ago with charles schwabb.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread is old.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
Nitronick will become famous soon enoughNitronick will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
Nitronick's Tacoma Gallery
scottrade for me!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Such an old thread nd! And you are just now making a decision!? I use Charles schwab and am happy with my selection though.