LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Stocks stocks and more stocks!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Hey Murph you might want to look into CHTL. This is another small % investment on your portfolio but has big promise. It is goaled to reach $2.50 but I am ready to sell at $1.85ish. Bought it also at $0.55ish and has been nothing but green ever since. I watch this one quite a bit since it does a nice run then fall every so often just have to time it right and catch the wave.
Thanks - I'll check it out. I lead in on a number of ones and try to limit my BLEED out! Right now I have 22 holdings which is a bit tough to keep up on all of them and work at the same time!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
BP

it has been beat down by the spill.

-BP posted quarterly profit that was up 136% from last year
-is a super major and is not gonna go outta business
-pays a big dividend and consistently raises it

I'm buying
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
delcath
DCTH

i bought in at $13.04 and in just a few weeks it went up to almost $16.50. it was on a strong upward trend until that dumb fuck put billion instead of million and crashed the market. the stock is back around $13 and analysts are predicting $16 to $18 in the next 6 months with some analyst predicting a rise as high as $21. just a year ago the stock was $4 and according to what i read is the second best performing medical stock on teh market. if i had some extra cash to dump in the market i'd buy more shares now while its low again. and for the record i take no responsibility if it tanks. by all means do your own research, consider what i said just a tip.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
maxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud of
maxboostcore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Had a good payday today on one of my Las Vegas trades (very small portion of my investments - never more than 7 percent of my portfolio - started at 21 or so and never spent any of the money)

ABK knew this company from aircraft sales days. To me it would be like Campbell's not selling soup. Bought a bunch at .55 and then more at .62 all within the last couple o days. Sold half at opening at 1.07 (limit order of .97) second half at 1.13. A lot safer than Vegas! Double in a couple of days!

I lost big with ABK. Anyone have any opinions about this stock. It claimed bankruptcy 2 weeks after I bought. Should I just hold on. Apparently this was a voluntary BK. Anyone have any experience to share their insights. I bought in at $1.04 and now the stock is sitting at $0.14.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #25
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboostcore View Post
I lost big with ABK. Anyone have any opinions about this stock. It claimed bankruptcy 2 weeks after I bought. Should I just hold on. Apparently this was a voluntary BK. Anyone have any experience to share their insights. I bought in at $1.04 and now the stock is sitting at $0.14.
And that is where diversification comes in. BK is not a very good thing. I don't know that this will get much past .20 but if it makes you feel better, I have a good size chunk of it that blew past a stop.

These are lessons that drive home the point of having the majority of your holdings in companies that are true leaders in their field and in a field that is good. I should have never mentioned this one (I have played it for a couple of years - gaining 70% of the time). This is a company that the only reason that I played with it was 'cause I saw a pattern - patterns are not as good of a tool as fundamentals... If I told you that there is this company that insures debt from default, would you think that was a good biz to be in? Definitely not. But sometimes there is a number of good pops. If you want to feel any better - look at how many institutions hold it. You may call me a fool but I did pick up a good size lot at 13 cents (wtf am I doing) thinking it will get up to 19-20. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I lost the money. Not something I suggest anyone do.

The other holdings that I currently hold include AAPL, CHK, CSCO (the day it hit its low), GOOG, CRUS, CL, VZ, SMG, PPG, GLD, SWHG, ATPG and RIMM.

ABK never made up more than 1-3% of my total portfolio (I try to keep las vegas style bets to no more than ~7%). It was a poker game for me.

IMO if you don't have enough to hold at least 5 holdings (preferably up to 10), you should buy a EFT of S&P or some, some.

Also, look at your performance as compared to the S&P 500 and if you're not beating it, join it - in other words, investing in 500 of some of the best companies in the market isn't a bad way to get the appreciation of the best companies and be very diversified!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
maxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud of
maxboostcore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
And that is where diversification comes in. BK is not a very good thing. I don't know that this will get much past .20 but if it makes you feel better, I have a good size chunk of it that blew past a stop.

These are lessons that drive home the point of having the majority of your holdings in companies that are true leaders in their field and in a field that is good. I should have never mentioned this one (I have played it for a couple of years - gaining 70% of the time). This is a company that the only reason that I played with it was 'cause I saw a pattern - patterns are not as good of a tool as fundamentals... If I told you that there is this company that insures debt from default, would you think that was a good biz to be in? Definitely not. But sometimes there is a number of good pops. If you want to feel any better - look at how many institutions hold it. You may call me a fool but I did pick up a good size lot at 13 cents (wtf am I doing) thinking it will get up to 19-20. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I lost the money. Not something I suggest anyone do.

The other holdings that I currently hold include AAPL, CHK, CSCO (the day it hit its low), GOOG, CRUS, CL, VZ, SMG, PPG, GLD, SWHG, ATPG and RIMM.

ABK never made up more than 1-3% of my total portfolio (I try to keep las vegas style bets to no more than ~7%). It was a poker game for me.

IMO if you don't have enough to hold at least 5 holdings (preferably up to 10), you should buy a EFT of S&P or some, some.

Also, look at your performance as compared to the S&P 500 and if you're not beating it, join it - in other words, investing in 500 of some of the best companies in the market isn't a bad way to get the appreciation of the best companies and be very diversified!
I've been reading closely on the BK procedure and it seems as if they are trying to keep the common shareholders so that they can preserve a $5 billion in Net Operating Loss. It was $0.20 about a week or 2 ago. Do you know anything else about the company?

I should have diversified or just sold after i made 10% but I held on for the earnings report. The day before earnings they filed BK after hours so I couldn't do anything.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
Ban Pending

I held on to my last two lots of ABKFQ (the artist formally known as ABK). Had a standing sell order at .15 figuring it may all be lost money but at a total value of about 3-4k thought I'd hold on. .15 triggered and still have another 11k shares I will dump tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is a toyota forum, but I invested in Ford stock when it was down to$1.50 something back in Feb 09. Put in 5k got about 4000 shares. its up to 16 something today. I've made about 60k in a about two years. Probably gonna keep rising. But what do i know. It was my first investment.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #29
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
utilities

I've had pretty good luck with utilities over the years. you wont get rich quick, but you can do allright if you buy near their lows. usually when they go up 10-11% I sell and wait for a pullback -then buy them again. if they go nowhere, I'm getting 5-6% dividends. better than .05% on my money market, or .13% on checking. just sold FE (2/1/11) @ $39.45 - bot. @ $35.60 & $35.72 (11/11/10), also received a dividend on these shares. part of this is in a roth IRA and is tax free. FE has pulled back,but not enough, I may add to my PPL holdings. also I'm not afraid to dollar average on any utility that I buy. BUY LOW-SELL HIGH. it's that simple! HA!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #30
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
PCS