1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stocks stocks and more stocks!

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by slimsdepot, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey guys,

We all know the market isn't the best and everything has fallen to the bottom. But I tell myself when things hit bottom its the time to get on board!! I am starting this thread for those that do any stock trading and care to share some knowledge or any good picks.

Give your input on stocks that are going to be good to hold on to or sell quick. I have a couple good ones and will share in the first reply.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a stock broker nor a professional. I am merely giving my thoughts and asking for others to chime in on their thoughts. This thread is not ment for any reason to be held as a financial planning tool or held against me.

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I thought this stock would be a good one a few months back before I got into stock trading. It is the makers of the famous Call Of Duty video game. It has been climbing and I expect to climb some more after tomorrows release of the much anticipated Call Of Duty Modern Warefare 2! :)

That's right check it out if you guys are interested.

Symbol : ATVI
    Price : $11.54

3. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I get an email newsletter that has some good general investing info in it. It doesn't tell you what stocks are the next big thing, but gives examples of how to find stocks that meet certain criteria that may be relevant to the current market conditions. I'm not saying it's the sh*t, but it does help if you want to learn, and I'm no expert.
    www.winninginvesting.com

The Motley Fool can also be a good source of info sometimes too.

As for tactics, I usually buy for the long term. I'd definitely say that the old saying "when there is blood in the streets, there is money to be made" can be very true in the stock market. I bought some bank stocks about a year ago when they were down at about $1. Now they're $4 -$10 for the same banks.

I haven't been doing much in the market lately, so I don't really have any great picks for the future. There's got to be somewhere in the healthcare reform to invest and make some money though.

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea that is what I was thinking something along the lines of healthcare. I wish I bought some Apple stock a while back. That stuff just keeps going up!

Thanks for the info for the newsletter. I also heard of mottley fool he bagged on the ATVI stock but since I bought it it's been going up.

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    I do Money trading, myself. With the US market up 200 points, I expect the EUR/USD and AUD/USD to fall quite a bit in the next 4 hours, leaving me with some nice gains as I short sell them.

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hmm how does that work? Never looked into that before.

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
  8. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Hahaha....I bought some Apple stock at $80 a few years ago and I thought it was expensive then!! It's kind of like gold, too expensive to get into now, just have to see where it goes.

Yeah, I take the motley fool with a grain of salt. I think they keep the best advice for folks who subscribe($$) to their newsletters. It seems like their free advice is always behind the curve. The user's opinions on their site seem to be the best perspectives without having to shell out $$$.

9. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    x2
    I've always wondered how that works. Seems like there is money to be made there, I just don't know anything about it.

10. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    Wow, this is cool because today I began my research and plan to open an account to do some trading. I had a mock/training account on Thinkorswim.com as part of a college competition that I did well with. We had to trade futures and ETFs. The site offers real money accounts as well. I haven't made up my mind on what to do yet though. Anyone have advice for a beginner??? Please.....:)

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I have two accounts. One with my bank that offers 100 free trades a year and another account with scottrade.

I use scottrade for any trade under $1 since they are only 7.99 per trade + like 2.5% i think and my bank under $1 is like $25 bucks. Scottrade is cool too becuase I can trade on my iphone.

12. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    1. Don't get greedy.
    2. Don't invest money you can't afford to lose.
    3. Know when to sell a stock. This is completely up to you and your risk comfort level.
    4. Don't automatically think you're going to get rich. There are people who spend over 8 hours a day doing this professionally, so don't think you can get rich by just buying a stocks.
    5. Do your own research. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Making your own decisions based on your own conclusions will make you a wiser investor.

You should know I don't spend all of my time in the market or researching stocks, nor am I the most experienced investor. The above are based on my own experiences and may not apply to everyone.

13. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I use Scottrade for stocks and an IRA. The cool thing about the IRA is that a lot of mutual funds are "preferred" or something like that, which means there is no trading fee.

14. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Agreed on those! Definitely #2 Only play with what you can lose. If it's only a little right now don't worry if you do good your profits will allow for more investments. :)

15. Nov 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    what do you guys think about the housing stocks like FNM and FRE?

16. Nov 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I'm not an expert by any means at this, but both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have taken colossal hits over the past two years. At the moment, their EPS ratios are negative which means they are losing money or in other words not making a profit. They would probably be a pretty risky buy. If you can burn a few bucks on each and are ok with the risk, then sure, but I wouldn't expect to get it back. The real estate market does seem to be stabilizing, but until we have job and economic growth I don't think there will be a huge demand (like before the recession) for home loans or homes.

On a side note, January is typically the market barometer for the rest of the year for the stock market. In two months we all might have a better idea of where the stock market is headed in the next year.

17. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The Dubai situation really killed the market. I wonder, if government will still assist FNM and FRE. I want to buy a house next year but I keep hearing if FNM and FRE go down then it would be really hard to purchase a house because FNM and FRE makes housing affordable. I just wonder if the government would let that happen or do you think they will have other plans. What do you think gov't would do to FNM and FRE?

18. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    FHA isn't going anywhere. Plenty of other banks/firms originate these loans. Closing Monday on my first home, got a 5% rate and put 3.5% down through an FHA loan program. Didn't use a realtor either (For sale by owner)

19. Apr 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Had a good payday today on one of my Las Vegas trades (very small portion of my investments - never more than 7 percent of my portfolio - started at 21 or so and never spent any of the money)

ABK knew this company from aircraft sales days. To me it would be like Campbell's not selling soup. Bought a bunch at .55 and then more at .62 all within the last couple o days. Sold half at opening at 1.07 (limit order of .97) second half at 1.13. A lot safer than Vegas! Double in a couple of days!

20. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey Murph you might want to look into CHTL. This is another small % investment on your portfolio but has big promise. It is goaled to reach $2.50 but I am ready to sell at $1.85ish. Bought it also at $0.55ish and has been nothing but green ever since. I watch this one quite a bit since it does a nice run then fall every so often just have to time it right and catch the wave.

Products Discussed in

To Top