Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Stocks & Investments

Notices

Stocks stocks and more stocks!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Stocks stocks and more stocks!

Hey guys,

We all know the market isn't the best and everything has fallen to the bottom. But I tell myself when things hit bottom its the time to get on board!! I am starting this thread for those that do any stock trading and care to share some knowledge or any good picks.

Give your input on stocks that are going to be good to hold on to or sell quick. I have a couple good ones and will share in the first reply.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a stock broker nor a professional. I am merely giving my thoughts and asking for others to chime in on their thoughts. This thread is not ment for any reason to be held as a financial planning tool or held against me.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

I thought this stock would be a good one a few months back before I got into stock trading. It is the makers of the famous Call Of Duty video game. It has been climbing and I expect to climb some more after tomorrows release of the much anticipated Call Of Duty Modern Warefare 2!

That's right check it out if you guys are interested.

Symbol : ATVI
Price : $11.54
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I get an email newsletter that has some good general investing info in it. It doesn't tell you what stocks are the next big thing, but gives examples of how to find stocks that meet certain criteria that may be relevant to the current market conditions. I'm not saying it's the sh*t, but it does help if you want to learn, and I'm no expert.
www.winninginvesting.com

The Motley Fool can also be a good source of info sometimes too.

As for tactics, I usually buy for the long term. I'd definitely say that the old saying "when there is blood in the streets, there is money to be made" can be very true in the stock market. I bought some bank stocks about a year ago when they were down at about $1. Now they're $4 -$10 for the same banks.

I haven't been doing much in the market lately, so I don't really have any great picks for the future. There's got to be somewhere in the healthcare reform to invest and make some money though.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #4

Yea that is what I was thinking something along the lines of healthcare. I wish I bought some Apple stock a while back. That stuff just keeps going up!

Thanks for the info for the newsletter. I also heard of mottley fool he bagged on the ATVI stock but since I bought it it's been going up.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
I do Money trading, myself. With the US market up 200 points, I expect the EUR/USD and AUD/USD to fall quite a bit in the next 4 hours, leaving me with some nice gains as I short sell them.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubFrozen View Post
I do Money trading, myself. With the US market up 200 points, I expect the EUR/USD and AUD/USD to fall quite a bit in the next 4 hours, leaving me with some nice gains as I short sell them.
Hmm how does that work? Never looked into that before.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
Head to http://www.fxcm.com/ and start a Demo account. Then add me to MSN and we'll chat: wa33061@hotmail.com
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Yea that is what I was thinking something along the lines of healthcare. I wish I bought some Apple stock a while back. That stuff just keeps going up!

Thanks for the info for the newsletter. I also heard of mottley fool he bagged on the ATVI stock but since I bought it it's been going up.
Hahaha....I bought some Apple stock at $80 a few years ago and I thought it was expensive then!! It's kind of like gold, too expensive to get into now, just have to see where it goes.

Yeah, I take the motley fool with a grain of salt. I think they keep the best advice for folks who subscribe($$) to their newsletters. It seems like their free advice is always behind the curve. The user's opinions on their site seem to be the best perspectives without having to shell out $$$.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm how does that work? Never looked into that before.
x2
I've always wondered how that works. Seems like there is money to be made there, I just don't know anything about it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this is cool because today I began my research and plan to open an account to do some trading. I had a mock/training account on Thinkorswim.com as part of a college competition that I did well with. We had to trade futures and ETFs. The site offers real money accounts as well. I haven't made up my mind on what to do yet though. Anyone have advice for a beginner??? Please.....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sak View Post
Wow, this is cool because today I began my research and plan to open an account to do some trading. I had a mock/training account on Thinkorswim.com as part of a college competition that I did well with. We had to trade futures and ETFs. The site offers real money accounts as well. I haven't made up my mind on what to do yet though. Anyone have advice for a beginner??? Please.....
I have two accounts. One with my bank that offers 100 free trades a year and another account with scottrade.

I use scottrade for any trade under $1 since they are only 7.99 per trade + like 2.5% i think and my bank under $1 is like $25 bucks. Scottrade is cool too becuase I can trade on my iphone.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #12

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sak View Post
1. Don't get greedy.
2. Don't invest money you can't afford to lose.
3. Know when to sell a stock. This is completely up to you and your risk comfort level.
4. Don't automatically think you're going to get rich. There are people who spend over 8 hours a day doing this professionally, so don't think you can get rich by just buying a stocks.
5. Do your own research. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Making your own decisions based on your own conclusions will make you a wiser investor.

You should know I don't spend all of my time in the market or researching stocks, nor am I the most experienced investor. The above are based on my own experiences and may not apply to everyone.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #13

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have two accounts. One with my bank that offers 100 free trades a year and another account with scottrade.

I use scottrade for any trade under $1 since they are only 7.99 per trade + like 2.5% i think and my bank under $1 is like $25 bucks. Scottrade is cool too becuase I can trade on my iphone.
I use Scottrade for stocks and an IRA. The cool thing about the IRA is that a lot of mutual funds are "preferred" or something like that, which means there is no trading fee.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
1. Don't get greedy.
2. Don't invest money you can't afford to lose.
3. Know when to sell a stock. This is completely up to you and your risk comfort level.
4. Don't automatically think you're going to get rich. There are people who spend over 8 hours a day doing this professionally, so don't think you can get rich by just buying a stocks.
5. Do your own research. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Making your own decisions based on your own conclusions will make you a wiser investor.

You should know I don't spend all of my time in the market or researching stocks, nor am I the most experienced investor. The above are based on my own experiences and may not apply to everyone.
Agreed on those! Definitely #2 Only play with what you can lose. If it's only a little right now don't worry if you do good your profits will allow for more investments.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
maxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud of
maxboostcore's Tacoma Gallery
what do you guys think about the housing stocks like FNM and FRE?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #16

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not an expert by any means at this, but both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have taken colossal hits over the past two years. At the moment, their EPS ratios are negative which means they are losing money or in other words not making a profit. They would probably be a pretty risky buy. If you can burn a few bucks on each and are ok with the risk, then sure, but I wouldn't expect to get it back. The real estate market does seem to be stabilizing, but until we have job and economic growth I don't think there will be a huge demand (like before the recession) for home loans or homes.

On a side note, January is typically the market barometer for the rest of the year for the stock market. In two months we all might have a better idea of where the stock market is headed in the next year.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
maxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud ofmaxboostcore has much to be proud of
maxboostcore's Tacoma Gallery
The Dubai situation really killed the market. I wonder, if government will still assist FNM and FRE. I want to buy a house next year but I keep hearing if FNM and FRE go down then it would be really hard to purchase a house because FNM and FRE makes housing affordable. I just wonder if the government would let that happen or do you think they will have other plans. What do you think gov't would do to FNM and FRE?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
toast is on a distinguished road
toast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboostcore View Post
The Dubai situation really killed the market. I wonder, if government will still assist FNM and FRE. I want to buy a house next year but I keep hearing if FNM and FRE go down then it would be really hard to purchase a house because FNM and FRE makes housing affordable. I just wonder if the government would let that happen or do you think they will have other plans. What do you think gov't would do to FNM and FRE?
FHA isn't going anywhere. Plenty of other banks/firms originate these loans. Closing Monday on my first home, got a 5% rate and put 3.5% down through an FHA loan program. Didn't use a realtor either (For sale by owner)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #19
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Had a good payday today on one of my Las Vegas trades (very small portion of my investments - never more than 7 percent of my portfolio - started at 21 or so and never spent any of the money)

ABK knew this company from aircraft sales days. To me it would be like Campbell's not selling soup. Bought a bunch at .55 and then more at .62 all within the last couple o days. Sold half at opening at 1.07 (limit order of .97) second half at 1.13. A lot safer than Vegas! Double in a couple of days!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #20

Hey Murph you might want to look into CHTL. This is another small % investment on your portfolio but has big promise. It is goaled to reach $2.50 but I am ready to sell at $1.85ish. Bought it also at $0.55ish and has been nothing but green ever since. I watch this one quite a bit since it does a nice run then fall every so often just have to time it right and catch the wave.