Investing in Stock Market????????

Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #21
RockyTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Dojo
RockyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Those are no more safe than stocks.

Treasury bonds and CDs are a particularly interesting situation right now with the global economy subtly moving away from the US dollar right now.
..i never lost money in CD acct. its backed by FDIC. so it does give me piece of mind when i park my money. sure, i dont get high returns as stocks. im only getting 3.5%, but i just cant risk it in stock or any other risky investment.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTacoma View Post
..i never lost money in CD acct. its backed by FDIC. so it does give me piece of mind when i park my money. sure, i dont get high returns as stocks. im only getting 3.5%, but i just cant risk it in stock or any other risky investment.
Nor would you ever lose money in a FDIC backed item, but that doesn't mean the money itself can't lose value. The dollar has been steadily weakening on a global scale for about two years now. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for the economy, but just realize it may mean a guaranteed 3.5% CD doesn't help you any more than keeping the money under the mattress.

Total number of dollars (or whatever currency) is immaterial - buying power is what matters when it comes to standard of living. This is why median income for a middle class family has risen from about $20,000 in the 1970s to a little over $50,000 now but the standard of living has remained the same.

With retirement money, it's not what the money can buy now, but what will it be able to buy in 30 years.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
outside of my ira, i have zero stocks. i get rental property. after doing tax returns
for over 12 years, i have zero faith in the market. it seems like every time someone
sells something for a big gain, they sell something else for a big loss.
after seeing people tie up 10,000 to 50,000 in the market for 5 to 10 years
and have nothing to show for it, i just want more from my money.

i have 2 houses, put 20% down, and am getting a 12% to 18% return on my investment. the beauty of it is, by the time you get depreciation, you show a loss
for tax purposes. so basicly it is tax free income.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
my favorite stocks right now are

1. Phillip morris international (PM) -sells cigarettes everywhere but America so no American lawsuits ever. the global leader in cigarette sales everywhere except china. high margin/ low capital requirements.

2. Telephonica (TEF) -a telcom based in spain and getting hammered because of the euro deal but strong financials and 40% of the revenue comes from latin america.

Both are easy to understand, phone service and cigarettes
Both pay north of a 4.5% dividend (beats the yield on T-bills)
both are blue chips and highly unlikely to ever go bankrupt
both are more recession resistant than the average stock

www.fool.com is a great site

do your own research before you buy!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #25
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
The stock market is VERY iffy right now.
Don't invest anything you cannot afford to lose.
Best of luck and be carefull.
As long as you have a long investment horizon - and most of all of you do - you will be okay. Learn the basics - Fool.com or Cramer can be a good place to start. The big thing is to put money in investments each check. The compounding will allow you to control your employment choices in the future. This is not Las Vegas - If you play it like Las Vegas - you will end up the same way a trip will Vegas will. Telling your friends you broke even when we all know what really happens there - and yes the money stays there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Welcome to TW!

SHAREBUILDER! $4 per trade no monthly fee for the basic plan. $9.95 when you sell. I've been using this site for 4 years. I like sharebuilder, because you don't have to buy whole shares. You can buy in dollar amounts. I recently bought $50 worth of citi bank for me & $50 for my 12 yr old.

Good to read up before investing. Here is a great site to get you started:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/

One good approach - you buy high, you buy low - as long as they are solid companies you will do well.

Stocks I own - ARUN -Aruba networks, RIMM -Blackberry phones, C -Citi bank,HXL - Hexcell, ESV - Ensco.

I have done well on Rimm & Aruba networks.

I wish I had Apple, but it is too expensive. I had Google, but sold it.
RIMM - may have played out.
AAPL - too expensive? You are looking at expense the wrong way. It has nothing to do with the per share value! I have been buying lately for a long term (in my relative terms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent475 View Post
I'll second this recommendation... Been investing a little bit each month for 3-4 years now and I own the stock in the following companies:

AAPL APPLE INC
AGG BARCLAYS AGG BOND FUND ISHARES
BRK B BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC CL B NE
CAT CATERPILLAR INC
CCE COCA COLA ENTERPRISES INC
CJHBQ CHAMPION ENTERPRISES INC COM
CP CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY LTD
CVX CHEVRON TEXACO CORP
DTG DOLLAR THRIFTY AUTOMOTIVE GRP
DTV DIRECTTV
F FORD MOTOR COMPANY
FSLR FIRST SOLAR INC COM
JSDA JONES SODA CO
MIR MIRANT CORP
NGS NATURAL GAS SERVICES GROUP
OSK OSHKOSH TRUCK CORP CL B
PLA PLAYBOY ENTERPRISES INC CL B
REP REPSOL YPF SA - SPON ADR
RIMM RESEARCH IN MOTION LTD
SBMRY SABMILLER PLC-SPONS ADR
SPY S&P 500 INDEX SPDR
STI SUNTRUST BKS INC
TSTR TERRESTAR CORP COM
UTX UNITED TECHNOLOGIES CORP
XOM EXXON MOBIL CORP

Be sure to get a upgraded plan so you get free trades to save $. Monthly fee is 12 bucks and you get 6 free trades. 6 trades on a free account will cost you 24 bucks (4 per trade) - but because I have an upgraded plan, I save 12 bucks.

And whatever you invest in... Invest in a diverse portfolio... If you buy sunscreen, buy umbrellas too... That way, no matter how many times the weather changes, you are making money. And classic advice: Buy low, sell high - but with stocks plan on holding for several years to get a gain.
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
outside of my ira, i have zero stocks. i get rental property. after doing tax returns
for over 12 years, i have zero faith in the market. it seems like every time someone
sells something for a big gain, they sell something else for a big loss.
after seeing people tie up 10,000 to 50,000 in the market for 5 to 10 years
and have nothing to show for it, i just want more from my money.

i have 2 houses, put 20% down, and am getting a 12% to 18% return on my investment. the beauty of it is, by the time you get depreciation, you show a loss
for tax purposes. so basicly it is tax free income.
There can be benefits to Real Estate - That is my daily job. WADR, The anecdotal story you tell about nothing to show for being in the market is a bit short sighted.

The friends that I know that consistently invest in good companies have afforded themselves a very nice nest egg. I guess I am blessed cause even with this recent up and down track we have, I am comfortably up. The only bad long term investment I regret is an annuity that I bought that got leached by fees.

I can tell you anecdotal stories about real estate investment that would keep you in the stock market!

I think a balance of stocks and real estate is a very good combo but you still have to do your homework on a very regular basis!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_tiger View Post
my favorite stocks right now are

1. Phillip morris international (PM) -sells cigarettes everywhere but America so no American lawsuits ever. the global leader in cigarette sales everywhere except china. high margin/ low capital requirements.

2. Telephonica (TEF) -a telcom based in spain and getting hammered because of the euro deal but strong financials and 40% of the revenue comes from latin america.

Both are easy to understand, phone service and cigarettes
Both pay north of a 4.5% dividend (beats the yield on T-bills)
both are blue chips and highly unlikely to ever go bankrupt
both are more recession resistant than the average stock

www.fool.com is a great site

do your own research before you buy!
There are some very good dividend producing deals out there right now.

Best of luck to all and remember:

Be diversified
Know what you are buying
Do not use emotion for ANY investment decision!
Add more to your investments (while you are under 60+) at least 12 times per year while you are making money and better to do it each pay check.

I know that this advice is way too general but develop a plan for yourself and you will do well! Remember it is investment and not a mod fund!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #26
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
I use Fidelity, it's $7.95 a trade. They have always been helpful with live person contact as well.

When I guy stocks, I set a percentage on them and sell them when they go above, or put a stop loss on them. It's easy to make a bunch of money quick, also easy to lose a bunch of money quick.