Notices

Lowering a Prerunner

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
cooperclyo is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Engineer Company Commander, 1st TRE
cooperclyo's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering a Prerunner

Newbie, so please be gentle.

Have an 04 Prerunner 3.4 auto I bought 7 months ago with 88K miles - near perfect, one-owner. It's a combination play and work truck (minifarm), and I'd like to lower it 4" - 5". All info I've found discourages this. I can handle moderately difficult mechanical work, so is this a reasonable possibility without going bankrupt? Thanks for your ideas.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the site...you sure you wanna lower it?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
The Philosophizer is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
The Philosophizer's Tacoma Gallery
besides the mechanical issues, i never saw the point in lowering a truck... theres no point having a truck if its lowered!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosophizer View Post
besides the mechanical issues, i never saw the point in lowering a truck... theres no point having a truck if its lowered!
Unless you get an x-runner.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man regardless of what we all say it's ultimately your truck and you just gotta be happy with it. Everyone has their opinions. No matter what you choose, there's someone here to help ya out.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
buy a 5-lug? you would probably make money trading for one. I've never heard of lowering a prerunner but i know they make kits to lower 5 lugs.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
All OEM All Japanese All The Time!
Taco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Taco2K10's Tacoma Gallery
dc lowrider would be cool... access/reg cab meh just get a 5lug... but any way you look at it is possible, but it may cause bankruptcy, simply for the sheer fact it be all one off... id look at trying to swap a 5 lug front suspension/frame graft? the rear is easy
Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
I was just about to post this.

People have done it in the past. Good luck, it'll look good!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
your gonna get lots of people saying lowering a truck is dumb..well simple fact is they are narrow minded and clueless...Lower that thing! you can do an axle flip in the rear which will lower it 5" or 6"...I did that on a chevy I had. I bought new spring perches/pads for about 25 bucks and welded them on, I had to get new U bolts and fab a mounting plate as well. the rear with shocks cost less that 100 bucks. as for the front...no clue on the toyota.

check out that tundra racing site jason posted
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it sounds to me like he's curious about lowering his prerunner to non 4wd height for easier access, not to make some bagged out ass scrapin lowrider. He might be trying to make a decision about lowering vs. just going after a 5 lug regular height version of the same truck. Has anyone considered that before bustin out with all the negative lowered shit? There's nothin wrong with it lowered, lifted or otherwise if it suits your needs and wants. There is stupid & sick versions of both lowered and lifted so how bout we answer his questions and spare the should and shouldn't opionated garbage. He said combo use so I doubt an all around farm/fun truck would be draggin the ground all offensive to some.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tundraracing.com/taco5.jpg

This looks good. I am not sure how a 1st gen would look.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
There's a guy on Customtacos.com with your body style 4 door on a 5 lug frame and suspension. Try searching on there for it. Other than that all I know of is the lowering kit for 05+ Prerunners.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
http://www.tundraracing.com/taco5.jpg

This looks good. I am not sure how a 1st gen would look.
Quote:
those are for 05+. im pretty sure there's no kit out for the 1st gen trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosophizer View Post
ummmm....where do i start? there's just as many reasons why to lower your truck as there are reasons to lift it.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
cooperclyo is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Engineer Company Commander, 1st TRE
cooperclyo's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering the Prerunner

Thanks for all the good comments, both pro and con. To me, the truck just looks out of proportion as it sits, and - as a former dirt track car and bike racer - I believe it would handle better if lowered. Also, access is a little bit of a pain because my wife and I are both on the short side. Finally, using it for chores on our minifarm would be easier if the loading height were down a bit.

So - I know y'all are anxiously awaiting my decision - Looking at expense, hassle factor, and the fact that the truck is in nearly new condition, I'll leave it as-is. However, if someone with a comparable year and condition S-Runner wants to trade even - - - who knows?

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
those are for 05+. im pretty sure there's no kit out for the 1st gen trucks.
Oh dang. I didn't even pay attention. Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there any way that a leaf could be removed from the stock pack?

What about buying a lower rate coil or even just a shorter one for the front?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh dang. I didn't even pay attention. Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there any way that a leaf could be removed from the stock pack?

What about buying a lower rate coil or even just a shorter one for the front?
they have a 4 leaf pack so im sure it can be done, but i'm pretty sure it won't be that much of a drop, at most maybe a 2". & i haven't heard of any lowering coils for the 1st gen 6 lug trucks. the only lowered 6 lug 1st gen's ive seen have been body transplants...doublecab body on a 5 lug frame.

you could always cut coil up front and do a leaf under axle conversion, but i have no idea if you can get the front into alignment once you lower it, and cutting springs never ride very well.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
they have a 4 leaf pack so im sure it can be done, but i'm pretty sure it won't be that much of a drop, at most maybe a 2". & i haven't heard of any lowering coils for the 1st gen 6 lug trucks. the only lowered 6 lug 1st gen's ive seen have been body transplants...doublecab body on a 5 lug frame.

you could always cut coil up front and do a leaf under axle conversion, but i have no idea if you can get the front into alignment once you lower it, and cutting springs never ride very well.
Would a five lug coil bolt up? or are there complications.

for the rear 2 inches would be better than nothing and probably much easier than doing sua.