Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Just throwing this idea out there

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Just throwing this idea out there

but is it possible to lower a 4x4 DC 1st gen? I know you can take a DC body and swap it onto a 5 lug frame, but you lose the v6 and 4x4. I ain't seen anything on here or CT about it so just asking. Got my umbrella out for
Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it's possible with pre-made kits. I know that I have seen people lower 4x4 chevy trucks and SUVs. But it seems more popular to modify those than a Tacoma. Plus they don't sit as high to start with, so you're only talking about a four inch lowering job.

Might try calling every company you can find who makes lowering kits and ask them. If they do have a kit, it's probably not going to see a lot of advertising in magazines, online, etc.

Lowered isn't my cup of tea, but it would sure be a headturner if you could pull it off.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah. I haven't found much of anything. I like the idea of having a V6, 4wd w/ locker, seating for five, and a truck bed that sits and rides like a car. I wouldn't exactly wanna lay frame on bags just because that sounds intimidating to pull off. My first truck was 2wd c-10 street truck and i loved it.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
only way i can think of doing that is taking an IRS and weld it in place of the entire rear suspension. up front i'm not too sure on how to accomplish that
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
can man
Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
you could get shorter coils and take a leaf out of the leaf pack...
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I can't see why this wouldn't work. Sounds simple enough. Might have to get lower bumpstops as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Keep CV angles in mind. They can bind up the other direction when lowering. I never saw a point to lowing a 4wd truck though.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yup, but shouldn't be a problem if your doing a moderate drop, like 2 inches...

fairly cheap too!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaMan2007 View Post
only way i can think of doing that is taking an IRS and weld it in place of the entire rear suspension. up front i'm not too sure on how to accomplish that
Why go IRS when you could just go spring under axle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
can man
huh?
Quote:
Yeah thats what I was thinking about the front, like I said about the rear just got SUA alot easier and don't lose spring strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Keep CV angles in mind. They can bind up the other direction when lowering. I never saw a point to lowing a 4wd truck though.
Well to each their own on lowering, but wouldn't the CV's be ok if you lowered it to where the CV's sit almost horizontal because isn't that what Dif drops try to achieve?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Well to each their own on lowering, but wouldn't the CV's be ok if you lowered it to where the CV's sit almost horizontal because isn't that what Dif drops try to achieve?
With a stock truck the CVs are close to horizontal. Lowering would cause the tops of the boots to get closer instead of the bottoms of them getting close when you lift. Diff drops don't really do anything.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why go IRS when you could just go spring under axle?

huh?

Yeah thats what I was thinking about the front, like I said about the rear just got SUA alot easier and don't lose spring strength.

yes, but if you lowered the truck you'd have an opposite angle than a lifted truck, so a drop bracket kit would make the angles worse in that case.

so do a spring under and get some shorter coils, or cut yours down
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #13

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With a stock truck the CVs are close to horizontal. Lowering would cause the tops of the boots to get closer instead of the bottoms of them getting close when you lift. Diff drops don't really do anything.

FYI diff drops work for 1st gen's just not really for 2nd gen's
Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
bishes love my haircut

I don't mean throw a Diff drop on a lowered truck, I mean on lifted trucks because everyone tries to achieve some perfect angle.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #15

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yea, still, stock height the cv's are horizontal, lowering the truck will put them at a harsher angle than intended, same as lifting, but not a huge issue
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
FYI diff drops work for 1st gen's just not really for 2nd gen's
I didn't know that.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #17

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't know that.
yea just from my reading that's the general consensus. good news for me!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
yea, still, stock height the cv's are horizontal, lowering the truck will put them at a harsher angle than intended, same as lifting, but not a huge issue
Yeah I see what you mean. So basically the cv angle would be "inverted?"
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
yea just from my reading that's the general consensus. good news for me!
Damn 2nd gens.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #20

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I see what you mean. So basically the cv angle would be "inverted?"
you got it, opposite of a lift, but still you can drop it 2.5 inches with no problems