1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lowered B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by mjbtaco, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Aug 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    I remember a few guys were running those... I thought @hayrider2.0?

Smokehouse[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    Smokehouse

Smokehouse Procharged

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Republic, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2007 Super White Tacoma Sport
    i saw @hemitruk was running some as well. I just have bilstein 5100s rn with stock springs and it does not handle the procharger lol

BananaMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 30, 2023 at 6:36 PM
    hayrider2.0

hayrider2.0 Over the hill and going down fast!

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You
    2 Centimeters from Hell 200 Miles from Water
    Vehicle:
    05 & 07 White Reg. Cabs w/ sticks
    05 getting restored 07 LS Swapped
    Hey @BananaMan thanks for throwing me under the bus! Hahaha…

Sir @Smokehouse,
    First. The shock adjustment goes from you don’t think the shock/s are even mounted and or working to someone welded in a steel pipe for a shock when riding in a vehicle.
    Second. It all depends on how you use your truck. QA1 and Viking are two separate companies but the owner of Viking was a partner with QA1 at one time. (from what I’ve been told).
    Both of these shocks are not gas charged. Gas charging is supposed to keep the oil from foaming under extreme conditions. Say like a shock on a Trophy Truck racing. Now for someone going slow like a rock crawling they should be fine. But QA1’s are VERY VERY popular in Sprint Car Racing as they are easy to service and with simple hand tools from what I understand but PLEASE don’t quote me on this and one can change the valving.
    Also the question in my head is will the front haft shafts clear the lower shock body on the front. One could run them inverted. But I would highly recommend shock boots. Because if the shock harden chrome shaft gets nicks from rocks or anything the seal around the shaft will wear faster as the markings can act like a single piece of sand paper rubbing on the seal or if really deep the divot it can actually cut the seal. That doesn’t happen very often because there are many companies that run with the main body of rear shocks at the top, but it could…
    They are an aluminum body shock so they should be serviced more often than a metal body shock. Aluminum is used in performance shocks because they are lighter and dissipate heat faster and better!
    Most adjustable performance shocks are aluminum body shocks.
    Now if I owned a 4x4 I might look at shocks for 4x4’s. But most off road shocks are designed for over weighted trucks and have over sprung springs. (Springs that are too stiff) I installed suspension in Miata’s for years and I believe in balancing the suspension with shocks, springs, sway-bars alignment and tire pressures. And I’ve been begging Mr @BananaMan to change his front coil-overs for years! He enjoys Auto Cross and I want him to balance his suspension better because if you see his videos from inside & out you see why! But my friend you know I still love you! :rolleyes:
    @WormSquirts owns a very popular 4x4 shop North of the border and I saw him and another person do a shock shootout where someone only changed the shocks. Then him and his partner were put in the truck blindfolded. It was one of the best shock testing videos I’ve ever watched. They both knew the traits of most the shocks that they were able to guess which shocks were mounted. Pretty damn good if you ask me!
    So if I was you I contact Mr WormSquirts and tell him what you have and what you want.
    Also the biggest thing is BUY ONCE AND CRY ONCE!! It’s much cheaper to buy once.

Good luck!

#1 in the series of videos for the shock tests/testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7cygv76f8Y&list=PLv1-VB8s4vOvG0R49hIJ7lQbKEGnlPy-w

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  4. Aug 30, 2023 at 9:27 PM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Yea like Hayrider 2.0 said because of axle might be a problem when lowered .Dont know how much clearance you would get at stock 4x4 height .You could run 1in extended eyelit but dont know it will clear the axle . Also not sure if they have coilover for stock 4x4 height . On there web site they got listwith different ride heightso

5. Aug 30, 2023 at 9:31 PM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    viking catalog

Attached Files:

Torspd and hayrider2.0 like this.
  6. Aug 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM
    gstodd

gstodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 2wd base 5-lug
    I've got them on the front of my truck and they are great. The ability to adjust compression and rebound separately is quite useful in not making the initial hit from bumps too hard but getting everything smoothed out quickly. No opinion on them for racing as I haven't done any with them yet but I'm barely using the valving for street use so it should adapt to the track nicely.

7. Nov 1, 2023 at 1:03 AM
    nightcrawler

nightcrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17pro/‘13 base
  8. Nov 1, 2023 at 1:39 AM
    hayrider2.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  9. Nov 1, 2023 at 3:24 AM
    nightcrawler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17pro/‘13 base
    But this is just a prototype, they might offer it.

10. Nov 1, 2023 at 3:45 AM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    I almost bought one of the older ones. Cool trucks. The hood and fender flares need to be tamed down a bit and cleaned up imo. Also, it needs a proper x-runner emblem instead of that sticker on the rocker panel.

11. Nov 1, 2023 at 4:07 AM
    nightcrawler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17pro/‘13 base
    I agree with the Taming down, I like the old also but wasn’t to crazy about the body kits.

12. Nov 1, 2023 at 5:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    nightcrawler[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 1, 2023 at 7:09 AM
    hayrider2.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You
    Vehicle:
    I highly doubt it‼️ American’s are getting lazier and lazier every year.

When our dogs were getting old my wife didn’t want them riding in the back of the truck anymore so we purchased a Scion XB so they could ride in AC in the hot AZ summer. I looked and looked and looked for a manual transmission model and was finally able to get one with a manual transmission. The salesman said only one out of 12 to 15 came with a manual. Anyway the dogs passed away within a year. In the year I purchased a top of the line CoverCraft car cover, installed the rear spoiler, 18” tires & used Lexus wheels, all the TRD suspension and brake upgrades, removed all the black vinyl around the windows. I paid a friend that lives in Atlanta to rent one and build a 304 SS 2.5” exhaust system with V bands, two large Magnaflow’s and ship it, Yada Yada Yada. Anyway after the dogs passed I put the xB up for sale. I have a friend that has a car lift so I was able to get photos of the goodie’s underneath. The gentleman who purchased it called me and said he pay me my asking price less $500 but I had to include the car cover and meet them at their Credit Union so the Credit Union could see the vehicle. I asked don’t you want to see it in person first? He said no he didn’t need to said the pictures & description was perfect. So we drove it for a year, put 11k miles and I only lost the $500. I keep a log book on my vehicles and enter every dime I spend for gas, maintenance and mods. They bought it sight unseen. The gentleman said it was modified exactly how he intended to do to a new one plus it was a manual transmission!! He said I can’t find a manual and I wasn’t about to drive an automatic. Apparently they had a earlier model that was just totaled.

14. Nov 1, 2023 at 7:54 AM
    nightcrawler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17pro/‘13 base
    Probably why they stopped selling x-runner, no one was buying manual. My wife refuses to drive automatic car so her choice’s are limited, she has a VW golf alltrack(plastic drain plug!). That’s a whole other story. I just saw this Toyota Kb, xb successor. And of course no manual:(https://youtu.be/jr6XKFvhCKA?si=QbwoxyKjW2tbg-Bm

15. Nov 1, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    nightcrawler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17pro/‘13 base
To Top