Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Tapered Blocks and a Smoother Ride (Street Trucks)

Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Tapered Blocks and a Smoother Ride (Street Trucks)

I know that if I want to go to extremes to lower my tuck that I need a tapered blocks (3"+) in the rear.

What I am wondering about is will a tapered block that goes from 1.15 to 1.25 cause a problem on my second gen? I have decided to take the lift off my truck, put XR coils (from ryanjboutin) on the front and buy blocks for the rear to level out the ride. I may go lower one day, but for now the lift is beating me to hell and back during my daily commute.

Also, what type of shocks should I get to help soak up pot holes as smoothly as possible? I do try and avoid them but sometimes, especially on the back roads, swerving is not an option.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
xr billies or the qa-1
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
xr billies or the qa-1
thank you. is there a difference between the XR and the 5-lug billies? everywhere i look pulls up the same part number.

is this the right qa-1? http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/index.html
Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
thank you. is there a difference between the XR and the 5-lug billies? everywhere i look pulls up the same part number.

is this the right qa-1? http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/index.html
Which billies r u talking about? The HD ones? The XR Bilstiens are specific to the xrunner and have a slightly shorter stroke than the stock 5 lug tockicos.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
Which billies r u talking about? The HD ones? The XR Bilstiens are specific to the xrunner and have a slightly shorter stroke than the stock 5 lug tockicos.
do you know the part numbers for the XR billies? I can not find anything but the HDs, even on bilstein.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
Oh and you shouldn't use tapered blocks if it's only going To be an inch or so...at that rate tapering the blocks would actually throw your driveshaft out of alignment cause you'd be overcompensating the angle. (if that makes any sense lol).
that's what i thought but wanted to make sure first. thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

from what i can find, it looks like that XR bilsteins are only available through toyota new, am i correct?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
yes
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Thanks guys for answering all my noob questions.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
weazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant future

weazleburger's Tacoma Gallery
front left......48520A9310
front right....48510A9640
rear left.......48540A9200
rear right.....48530A9330

i bought mine new from toyota
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazleburger View Post
front left......48520A9310
front right....48510A9640
rear left.......48540A9200
rear right.....48530A9330

i bought mine new from toyota
thank you
Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
weazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant future

weazleburger's Tacoma Gallery
no problem
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I have the XR billies and coils up front, and QA1's in the back.

For what you're planning, I would just use the XR billies on the back and a non-tapered block.

I get my stock parts from here...http://www.magauto.com/oem-toyota-pa...ts-toyota.html
Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Ya, I have the XR billies and coils up front, and QA1's in the back.

For what you're planning, I would just use the XR billies on the back and a non-tapered block.

I get my stock parts from here...http://www.magauto.com/oem-toyota-pa...ts-toyota.html
thanks for the link ryan.

one last question: can i do the 4x4 leafs in the rear instead of blocks?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
thanks for the link ryan.

one last question: can i do the 4x4 leafs in the rear instead of blocks?
You can use them in conjunction with a shorter block.

If you get someone's newer leafs, it won't drop you as much as worn out leafs. You should get around -.5" from a newer leaf pack.

You can use PreRunner or 4x4 leaf packs.

Pulling the overload probably won't do much for you. I pulled mine so I didn't have to get new u-bolts, didn't notice a drop difference.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
You can use them in conjunction with a shorter block.

If you get someone's newer leafs, it won't drop you as much as worn out leafs. You should get around -.5" from a newer leaf pack.

You can use PreRunner or 4x4 leaf packs.

Pulling the overload probably won't do much for you. I pulled mine so I didn't have to get new u-bolts, didn't notice a drop difference.
i think i have my new list of mods to do. thanks for all the help.