Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...

Going to attempt to get a 2" to 3" drop on my truck. The following will be the process I went about in obtaining this drop regardless of the results good/bad. I have always either juiced or bagged my rides so this is pretty much my first static. Not sure how long it will remain that way (might like it enough to leave it be and sell it that way ... don't know for sure).

So this is what I did first:
- 4x4 OE leaf pack swapped in place of the OE Base Model 5 lug leaf pack (no pictures, swapped real quick though. no problems with getting them installed), which dropped the back about 1.25". I have 225/50/18 Eagle LS2 tires all around my truck and the height is roughly 30 7/8" up front, and 31 1/8" in the rear.

Front:

Back:

you can see how close the OE bumpstop is to the axle with just the 4x4 leaf pack swap.

My next goal is to achieve a 1" front and rear drop. I will be cutting a pair of OE Base Model 5 lug coils. I measure a complete turn to be 13" (took a string and let it go around until it met up with the tip end of the spring). Measured 6.5" on the spring (doesn't look like it's half), but marked a secondary line for the first cut (shorter distance). Will be cutting that first, then proceeding if needed if the drop is insufficient to the 1" I would like to gain. The back will have 1" lowering blocks installed (decided to go with the 1" blocks instead of the 2" ones for now).

OE Base Model 5 Lug coil spring - stock

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

although this is another site, this is where the info for the DIY spacer kit came from
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...=146826&page=2 (post #17)

"ok ive had a few pm's asking about my $20 or less ghetto spacer setup....heres a pic .....does it work ...yes ...is it ghetto...yes ....does it cost WAY less then any other spacer kit ....yes ....ive had these on for almost 5yrs...and 25k miles never re tightened still working like lil $20 champs and the whole time bagged this is good for 1" ...and use grade 8 hardware or better

what it takes
4 bolts 1" longer then you stock spindle bolts
4 nuts 1 size larger then the bolts (to just slide around the new bolts w/o play but not threaded on )
8 washers the size for the spindle bolts (one on the top and bottom of the nut/spacer)

*********NOTE i also raised my upper arms up 1" to compensate for the spacers........ very easy to do just a pain in the ass to get to but drill 8 new holes 1" higher theres plenty of room on the stock control arm mounts to do this a 90 degree drill would be ideal ...i didnt have that option tho so i man handled it with a regular 3/8 drill"

more info
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=29

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=31

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=44

- this is what I have found out from my researching
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/str...ml#post3877292

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/str...ml#post3877342

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/str...ml#post3882339

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/str...ml#post3883170
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

update, went to Home Depot to get a M16 90 mm bolt. Tomorrow or Mon. I will be test fitting this bolt to see if it's the right one, if all goes well, I will also be stopping by the Home depot for the other 3 along with getting the rest - 3/4" hex nut and washers.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #4

had a little time today, did some mock up work.

here is the M16 90mm bolt to the stock OE spindle bolt

it looks like it's too much but factor in the 1.5" the hex nut is, and if there is left overs, the use of a washer at the bottom may help.

here is the new bolt comparison to stock spec spindle.

looks like a lot ... probably should have gone with the 70/80mm instead. Don't know though, could get the new bolt in without having to jack up the front and take off the rim (cant do it here at work, only had a tool box in the truck).
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Mig98Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Miguel
Mig98Taco's Tacoma Gallery
In... How come you don;t get tires with a smaller sidewall like 40?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig98Taco View Post
In... How come you don;t get tires with a smaller sidewall like 40?
don't like how the 40's feel really. Not going to get too low either (a 2 to 3 drop doesn't look like much on a 2nd gen imo).
Old 10-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
had a little time today, did some mock up work.

here is the M16 90mm bolt to the stock OE spindle bolt

it looks like it's too much but factor in the 1.5" the hex nut is, and if there is left overs, the use of a washer at the bottom may help.

here is the new bolt comparison to stock spec spindle.

looks like a lot ... probably should have gone with the 70/80mm instead. Don't know though, could get the new bolt in without having to jack up the front and take off the rim (cant do it here at work, only had a tool box in the truck).

how can you take it off with the rims on? isnt there a lot of tension
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
how can you take it off with the rims on? isnt there a lot of tension
yup, I used my breaker bar and a 19mm socket. Surprisingly no, as soon as I loosened the bolt, I LITERALLY unbolted it with my hand. I can even bolt it back in. I can vid it for you for shits and giggles (tomorrow, it's too dark :P).
Old 10-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yes please do it. It har to believe that. Wouldnt it have to be supported on jacks? I thought other parts would would have moved if you took those 2 bolts off. I guess not.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
yes please do it. It har to believe that. Wouldnt it have to be supported on jacks? I thought other parts would would have moved if you took those 2 bolts off. I guess not.
ah I see, I only took off one bolt to see how long the 90mm actually was. Although I did get a longer bolt, it was too long (the smooth part is where the OE spindle bolt stops), so will have to go back to Home Depot and find a bolt that is sufficient for the drop. Today I might get time to hit up the OSH by my house for the hex and washers (during the research I noticed that there was a difference in washer placement between Intheablood and the C2C/J&J/etc etc spacer installs).

the first is Inthablood, notice the washers as in between the hex bolt and not by the bolt as with the C2C/J&J/etc etc spacer install.
With that in mind, I am going to install the new bolt and hex nut only to see the difference in height change. If it's an inch or less, will add in the washer and thus so ending up like how Inthablood had his done (he stated it was a total of 1.5" - the hex bolt itself is 1.5" tall).
Attached Thumbnails
My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...-edd23099.jpeg   My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...-drop-shot-inside.jpeg  
Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Hot Steppa

I dont see any difference. Are you only talking about the washer?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #12

yup, on the J&J/C2C/etc spacer, the washer is very thin and below the spindle where the top of the bolt is. While Intheblood has the washers in between the hex nuts as well as thick washers (these are the washers I found @ OSH, which are about 0.5" thick).
Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Hot Steppa

video video video
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
i did sittin sic coils up front about 3000 miles ago on my reg cab. after they settled a bit i have right around 2" of drop in the front and they ride great. im looking at doing a spacer like this also so im interested to see how this works out for you. thanks for the thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #16

had a little time during lunch, so I went down to OSH and Home Depot for some supplies - got the hex nuts and washers (decided to go with 5/8" washers instead since it still covers the 3/4" area of the hex nut and it won't jiggle around or what not).

Video (it's sideways due to the phone, plus I am holding it with my left and doing everything else with my right ... also I apologize for my breathing ... ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nb-g...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
My attempt @ a 2 to 3 drop ... ... more or less...-photo0275.jpg  
Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #17

forgot to mention I swapped the 90mm for the 70mm which looks a bit too long still... I should have taken a shot of the OE spindle bolt and the 70mm for comparison but I was short on time. I put the hex nut to the 70mm and put it next to the OE spindle bolt though, looks to be good enough. Will find out when I get time to install all of this.
I also tried to put in the 70mm bolt to the spindle, it went it but only so far. I am thinking the threading is wrong. but again won't know until I get it to a point where I can install to see what is really going on.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
forgot to mention I swapped the 90mm for the 70mm which looks a bit too long still... I should have taken a shot of the OE spindle bolt and the 70mm for comparison but I was short on time. I put the hex nut to the 70mm and put it next to the OE spindle bolt though, looks to be good enough. Will find out when I get time to install all of this.
I also tried to put in the 70mm bolt to the spindle, it went it but only so far. I am thinking the threading is wrong. but again won't know until I get it to a point where I can install to see what is really going on.
from the pics it looks like the thread on the new bolt is too coarse...

like a 1.00 pitch instead of 1.25 pitch
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
i quoted you in that post if you didnt notice- i was commenting on how somebody asked if there was a lot of tension and you said "yup, i had to use a breaker bar. surprisingly no, they were finger loose after the first turn" (or something along those lines, i forget)
oh, n/m then.

Products Discussed in this Thread