Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

CA street legal intakes...

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Truck Driver
Navelfunk is on a distinguished road

Navelfunk's Tacoma Gallery
CA street legal intakes...

For my base 2011 2.7 4cyl., can I get a bigger/better intake that's legal in CA? Have any of you guys tried using V8 Tundra or V6 Taco boxes on these trucks? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
k&n should have a carb legal intake and so should aem. check out ebay. hav mods move this to the 2nd gen section, youll probably get more hits there.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock is legal for the 4 bangers. All the others remove the secondary charcoal filter. Remove the filter and put in a AFE drop in filter and enjoy. You won't get much more if anything from a whole intake system.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Truck Driver

I have a K&N filter which got me about 3HP, enough to kill some of the acceleration lag. I don't know where that charcoal filter is. Everyone talks about it, but no one has shown a picture to explain... Also, what about the hood scooped Tacos & 4Runners, do they actually have functioning ram-air, or is it for looks? More air to fuel is usually a very effective way to gain power and efficiency.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelfunk View Post
I have a K&N filter which got me about 3HP, enough to kill some of the acceleration lag. I don't know where that charcoal filter is. Everyone talks about it, but no one has shown a picture to explain... Also, what about the hood scooped Tacos & 4Runners, do they actually have functioning ram-air, or is it for looks? More air to fuel is usually a very effective way to gain power and efficiency.
Please search for answers. Also you wouldn't feel 3 horsepower.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I have a CARB legal Air Raid intake for my v6, they might make one for your 4cycl as well. The scoops are not functional.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Truck Driver

I felt the small power gain, nonetheless. It wasn't a huge boost, just enough to notice. The truck is still slow... Non-functioning, non-open air scoops are a dumb idea.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I felt the small power gain, nonetheless. It wasn't a huge boost, just enough to notice. The truck is still slow... Non-functioning, non-open air scoops are a dumb idea.
Get a CAI (Cold Air Intake)
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
everything is legal til you're caught with it.

thats a life lesson btw.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
they all sux just stay with stock.
AMEN!!!!! If you want to be flashy then yeah I guess, but taking out the secondary air filter (it's plastic welded or something on the top of the air filter piece) and swapping that POS OE filter with a aFe Pro Dry S and you'll be the same as if you went and got an expensive CAI imo.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
AMEN!!!!! If you want to be flashy then yeah I guess, but taking out the secondary air filter (it's plastic welded or something on the top of the air filter piece) and swapping that POS OE filter with a aFe Pro Dry S and you'll be the same as if you went and got an expensive CAI imo.
Not true, the AFE Stage 2 SI Cold Air Intake is rated for 11 Horsepower, URD dyno proven.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Not true, the AFE Stage 2 SI Cold Air Intake is rated for 11 Horsepower, URD dyno proven.
is that for the 2.7l? How is it on gas and overall functionality - like gas and such. Since I have taken out my secondary filter, and added in the aFe Pro Dry I'm getting better millage as well as acceleration (which is pretty much it lol, but I'm still cool with that).
Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #16

It's for the 4.0L V6, I'm not sure about the 2.7L intake, I never researched it
Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
It's for the 4.0L V6, I'm not sure about the 2.7L intake, I never researched it
oh lol, well this is for the 2.7l (which is what the OP has and was asking about). With the 2.7l, there's not much to do with it.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
oh lol, well this is for the 2.7l (which is what the OP has and was asking about). With the 2.7l, there's not much to do with it.
lol it's been awhile since I read OP
Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Truck Driver

Thanks...

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll have to get a different truck, altogether. And since mine is a year old, has less than 4k mi. on it, and the warranty expires in 2017, I'll just make do. It could always be much worse...

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #20
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just to clarify, URD has never dyno tested intakes on the 2TR trucks.

We do have the aFe intake in stock for that application.

G