Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Questions about re-lifting a lowered taco

Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
jrk is on a distinguished road
jrk's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about re-lifting a lowered taco

I bought this taco last week:

The previous owner put eibach springs on the truck and he said it has been lowered 1 inch in the front and 3 inches in the back, using blocks.

I really like the way it drives but I was not really in the market for a street truck. I do not want to do any serious off roading but I want to put a boat in the back and drive on some rough roads to fishing holes.

I am planning on removing the blocks and putting some new wheels with smaller rims & larger tires on. If I raise the back up again will the lowered front have any adverse affects on the truck? If I kept it low, would I still be able to carry heavy loads in the bed?

I am also finding it pretty difficult to get a cheap set of wheels. Part of me thinks that for the money I am going to spend to get the truck back to stock, it might almost be worth selling it on to someone who appreciates street trucks and getting myself an older stock truck. As I said, I love the way it drives, I just don't feel confident taking it on anything but tarmac which was the primary reason I was getting a truck.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
your honestly sitting at a pretty mild drop. the only thing holding you back from hauling alot are those 3" blocks. replace that with a 4x4 leaf pack and you'll loose a little drop but have the same or more capacity than stock. (just noticed you have an older 1st gen, so the effectiveness of this will be less)

if you revert back to your old leafs, the truck will sit VERY ass high and nose low. it looks pretty stupid/redneck honestly if there's that much of a difference.

better shocks all around will help as well with your load carrying abilities. some of the 1st gen guys might also have some better solutions for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
jrk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response...so are you saying he would have added new leafs with the lowering blocks? I was under the impression that he had the original leafs in place but had just used the blocks to lower it. I have next to no idea about any of this stuff though so forgive me if I sound like I have no clue (I don't).

I really didn't want to get into too much heavy modding on the truck which is why I thought just removing the blocks would bring it roughly back to stock, just with the 1 inch lower at the frot but I definitely don't want it to look janky and affect performance.

If I'm going to have to get a new leaf pack, I would consider wither selling it on and buying something more suited to my means or going whole hog and lifting the truck a few inches above stock.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
jrider636 is on a distinguished road
Name: justin
jrider636's Tacoma Gallery
you could take the blocks out and get some new springs for the front to get u back to stock specs....if u dont have the original springs. i had a lowered ranger and i pulled a 18ft bass boat. you'll be fine with throwing a dingy in the back unless u just want the truck higher.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
jrk's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately I don't have the original springs...I was hoping to leave the front 1 inch lower than stock and just remove the blocks to raise the back up so it doesn't look so low. I had a look at what goes in to changing the springs out and it looks like a pretty advanced process so I'll have to have a think.

1 inch lower in the front didn't seem like it would make much difference to me but if so I might keep it as it is...probably wouldn't look great lowered with stock wheels on though!