Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Looking into lowering my Tacoma, need help.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Looking into lowering my Tacoma, need help.

I am looking into lowering my Tacoma and I need some suggestions and some help finding affordable ways to do so. I am wanting to do a mild drop. I am open to any and all suggestions. I already saw the 5 lug lowering thread but I need to know what parts and if it is easily done by myself.

Here is where I sit at now.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
I really wanna lower it and I need some good help on this. (parts, advice, etc.)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
1" spacer and move the uca a 1"? use the SS street drop kit?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
what is your budget as of now?
Well Im gonna put some money aside each paycheck I just kinda need to know what I am shooting for and I just got my tax refund so that should help.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Well Im gonna put some money aside each paycheck I just kinda need to know what I am shooting for and I just got my tax refund so that should help.
the spacer kit is about $100 (for a 1.25" drop kit (drop kit only), I wouldn't suggest going the 1.75" due to camber issues) and 2" drop blocks for the rear (have to purchase separately) to level you out (this is with stock leafs).

4x4 leafs should run you maybe $60 or more, depending on how old or abused they are, easy to find on here. Many 4x4's often swap out their stock leaf packs , just have to check the BST forum every now and then for someone local. will give you about 1.25" to 1.75" drop in the back.

Sittin Sic (they go by another name, sorry I don't go to them often) they offer a 1.25" front (it's meant to give the XR a 1.75" drop and their engines are 4.0L, so since the base models have a 2.7L engine, you won't get the 1.75") 2" rear drop kit which is around the price range of getting a DJM rear lowering kit. $250 or so I think. this is a complete kit - springs w/drop blocks and u bolts for the rear.

DJM kits are about $600/$700 complete front and back drops. They only offer 3" front/rear (via drop arms, blocks, notch and shocks) or 3" front and 4" rear. You can get a used kit, but still expect to pay a pretty penny as not many people have them.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the spacer kit is about $100 (for a 1.25" drop kit (drop kit only), I wouldn't suggest going the 1.75" due to camber issues) and 2" drop blocks for the rear (have to purchase separately) to level you out (this is with stock leafs).

4x4 leafs should run you maybe $60 or more, depending on how old or abused they are, easy to find on here. Many 4x4's often swap out their stock leaf packs , just have to check the BST forum every now and then for someone local. will give you about 1.25" to 1.75" drop in the back.

Sittin Sic (they go by another name, sorry I don't go to them often) they offer a 1.25" front (it's meant to give the XR a 1.75" drop and their engines are 4.0L, so since the base models have a 2.7L engine, you won't get the 1.75") 2" rear drop kit which is around the price range of getting a DJM rear lowering kit. $250 or so I think. this is a complete kit - springs w/drop blocks and u bolts for the rear.

DJM kits are about $600/$700 complete front and back drops. They only offer 3" front/rear (via drop arms, blocks, notch and shocks) or 3" front and 4" rear. You can get a used kit, but still expect to pay a pretty penny as not many people have them.
Thank you for all the info! I think I will go with the 1.25" drop kit for starters and once I get familiar with how all this works I will move from there. Where can I find this kit and the blocks? I want some good quality parts and I can look at kits all day but I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to purchasing a decent drop kit and blocks, any recommendations?

But hmmm 4x4 leaf swap sounds easier to start with, decisions decisions.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

if you really want to dump it do that one. low as you can go, nothing sucks more than dropping it, and needing to buy all new parts again to keep going lower
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
spacers are a good cheap drop. you won't notice any real handing benefits besides the slightly lower stance. you can combine them with the DJM arms if you want if you wanna go hella low later.

XII (formerly Sittin Sic) http://www.xiiperformance.com/ drop springs for the XRunner are a better alternative; it'll get you as low but your truck will handle much better, especially if you combine them with the Bilstien shocks. That does cost more money though.

DJM would be the way to go though if your willing to spend the money. it'll get you to the height you'll want to be at.

4x4 Leafs are a good option to get some low out back. and they're cheap. and personally i prefer the ride of these leafs over stock.

if you do 4x4 leaf swap, your going to want to consider some sort of shock replacement eventually out back to prevent the bottoming out, especially if you combine it with blocks. there are a few options; DJM has rear shocks, OEM XR bilstiens are a bit better than stocks, or you could get QA1s, which are expensive, but probably the best rear shock absorber for this application.

oh, and if you need good, solid, quality custom fit drop blocks, hit up http://www.streetacos.com/.

it's all up to you. there are a bunch of different options you just gotta look into them and see how much money you wanna spend, how well you want the truck to handle and how low you want to go.

oh and don't forget replacement bumpstops out back. the energy suspension button style ones fit.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
It's like an addiction.

After I got my DJM, I was happy for about a week. Then my truck started looking normal again to me. So I got the 1in spacer, and a bigger block. Once again, got bored of the look after a week.

I can never be low enough (well maybe I can ) I would go lower, but I like that I can use my truck for truck things without scraping super hard right now lol.

Like kelson said, spacers and blocks are the cheapest way right now. Anything else is either the SS springs, or DJM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the information and recommendations guys! I am just trying to figure out which ones to go with now, I am thinking of going with XII street drop kit. Seems to be the most affordable for what I am looking for as of now.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That sounds good, but honestly, just get the springs from them. Never use aluminum blocks, I've heard some bad stories about those. Hit up Brian @ streetacos for some BEEFED steel blocks.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
That sounds good, but honestly, just get the springs from them. Never use aluminum blocks, I've heard some bad stories about those. Hit up Brian @ streetacos for some BEEFED steel blocks.
x2 on the blocks. I used to use them, after a while the block will either crack, the little nub that fits into the axle bracket will come off, they often show signs of bending in some places. If your wondering why certain blocks are more expensive than other is due to aluminum v. steel.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
I cant wait to get started on this. It's defiantly a project that will improve the look of my truck. I hate to have to decide between this and the FX/R retrofit, so much work to be done!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
It's like an addiction.

After I got my DJM, I was happy for about a week. Then my truck started looking normal again to me. So I got the 1in spacer, and a bigger block. Once again, got bored of the look after a week.

I can never be low enough (well maybe I can ) I would go lower, but I like that I can use my truck for truck things without scraping super hard right now lol.

Like kelson said, spacers and blocks are the cheapest way right now. Anything else is either the SS springs, or DJM.
I'm about to scrap my 2/3 drop to just saving up to bag my truck. BORING AS HELL in traffic.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it's going to be hard keeping to on thing esp. on this site. once you find the mods/do one ... you won't be able to do just one lol. g/l though.
oh I know, its ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Dafuq

Quote:
I'm about to scrap my 2/3 drop to just saving up to bag my truck. BORING AS HELL in traffic.
Yeah that would be great to do, lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
honestly id go with the drop. it'll improve the feel of the whole truck.

and yeah. you can't just stop at one mod here. lmao.

Quote:
DO IT! haha can't wait to see it.