Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

rat rod look?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
bronzetaco19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
bronzetaco19's Tacoma Gallery
rat rod look?

what do you guys think about a tacoma with a rat rod look? like primer paint, old school rims. a friend mentioned to me the other day that i should do this to mine when i do lower. any opinions?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
if done right, I think it could look good.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzetaco19 View Post
what do you guys think about a tacoma with a rat rod look? like primer paint, old school rims. a friend mentioned to me the other day that i should do this to mine when i do lower. any opinions?
It will look pretty good you probably be a first for rat rod Tacoma.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
what you mean by done right?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
A 9 year old "rat rod"?

Wut
Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
A 9 year old "rat rod"?

Wut
x2, just doesn't fit the definition IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzetaco19 View Post
what you mean by done right?
I believe that would be very hard to do
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Im on the fence about it....I would hate to see a perfectly good truck be turned into that.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
A 9 year old "rat rod"?

Wut
thats exactly what i said to my friend. maybe if i had like a 70's hilux or something
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
i did a photoshop of a 2nd gen SC on some smoothies a while back on CT. didn't look bad at all really imo (I was guessing what size a 14" smoothie with I think a 1" w/w would be).

Ever since dip came out I have been curious to do mine up in flat black and then get 16" steelies with the chrome trims (seen it long ago on a bagged hilux, model right before the tacomas started to come out, that was for sale) and some low pro's.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen it done to the early 90's S-10. Flat black, red steel wheels and baby moon hubcaps, and thick white walls of course. It looks neat as far as mini-trucks go, think the Tacoma has too many curves to pull it off. It just looks too modern. The S-10 that runs around here is boxy, so it works.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
I've seen it done to the early 90's S-10. Flat black, red steel wheels and baby moon hubcaps, and thick white walls of course. It looks neat as far as mini-trucks go, think the Tacoma has too many curves to pull it off. It just looks too modern. The S-10 that runs around here is boxy, so it works.
this is the one I did on while back on CT. The older chevy's and ford's had a lot of curves back then and then everything got kind of boxy for a while but then went back to being all curvy again.
Attached Thumbnails
rat rod look?-xe53k0.jpeg  
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
REX_111_MDG_BMET's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
this is the one I did on while back on CT. The older chevy's and ford's had a lot of curves back then and then everything got kind of boxy for a while but then went back to being all curvy again.
I'd drive it (on my way to Home Depot to stand outside and wait for a job)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Not my style, but I agree that if it is done right it might look good, if you want to go that route. "Done right" would mean go all the way, don't make it look like a truck that is halfway fixed from an accident and the owner doesn't have money to complete the repair. There is a very fine line between making it look like junk or making it look like an excellent intended "rat rod" job. We have an old Chevy here in town that was done like that, and they did an excellent job. Every little detail was done perfectly, and it is something that I can appreciate the work that went into it. Just slapping primer and old wheels on it will just not do it.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
I'd drive it (on my way to Home Depot to stand outside and wait for a job)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the Taco lines are right for that. Too modern and smooth.