Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

what size wheel is your street truck

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
adaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shedadaptedtheory is one of the sharper tools in the shed

adaptedtheory's Tacoma Gallery
what size wheel is your street truck

I have an 04 and am not sure of the ideal size of rim and/or tire i'm looking for.. what's ideal
Old 07-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
16x8
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
03 toyo
dhomsey is on a distinguished road

Name: Dennis
dhomsey's Tacoma Gallery
mine.. 03 tacoma P265/70R16 firestones.

p
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
I think if you go bigger than 18's on a tacoma it doesn't give you enough tire to look cool, but it's what you like..
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomsey View Post
mine.. 03 tacoma P265/70R16 firestones.

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzerdoo77 View Post
I think if you go bigger than 18's on a tacoma it doesn't give you enough tire to look cool, but it's what you like..
You guys realize you're in the street trucks forum? lol

OP, I see a lot of dropped first gens running 17's or 18's.

Mostly 17's because they keep you closer to the ground.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Ry...

Thinking of upgrading the tire/wheel package.
Not looking to lower just yet, and if I ever do, it'll be low-key, just to "fit" the fenders to the tires a bit better... mebbe 1" drop in front and stock 4x4 springs in back.

Looking at the MB "Old School" in 17x8. Neither MB nor Discount provides backspacing info, but they do list it as fitting so I'm hoping they have enough offset.

For tires, I'm debating between the Michelin 235/55-17, or moving up to the 245/55-17... Not too crazy about the limited selection from Discount on the 245's though, and I don't want to drop to a 50, if anything I want the same or slightly larger than stock diameter.

What do you think? Would you anticipate any fitment issues with those? I'm still narrower than the stock X-Runner's 255/45-18.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well... Finally found it in the cryptic numbering on Discount's site.

Fuckers are zero offset, so that's a 17x8 with a 4.5" backspacing.
Ya... it'll fit, and stick out past the fenders.

Guess I'm stuck with the Seven-X in 7" and it's 42mm backspacing. That was my 2nd choice anyways.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

@Rich

For reference, the XR stock 18 has an offset of +30.
The XR rim is 8.5" and come with a 255 from the factory.
I ran them with a 245, and I'm thinking of going with a 235 just to get it stretched a little and tuck (not rub) the fenders.

Being that our trucks are gutless 4 bangers, I go with a narrower tire.
I prefer the Nitto Neo Gen because of a harder inner compound and wet/dry traction with no weight on the ass end.

I had a problem with the rears rubbing the fender well, so I had them rolled.
The dude that rolled them was an amateur and wrinkled my bedsides.
So if you want the rears to not rub, cut the inside lip with a cutoff/grinder instead of having them rolled.

You have to remove the support bracket in order to roll them, which leaves the bedside thin metal pretty flimsy and prone to wrinkling like mine did.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #10

You rubbed with 245's?
I figured the XR's 255's would be a clean fit on any 5-lug.

So, if I go with the Seven-X or another 17x7 with a 30-40 offset, think that'll clear without trimming and 245/55? Like I said, if I ever do a drop, it's only going to be an inch or so... I'd really just like to level it out and maybe a very small drop beyond that.

As with any wheel/tire, the game is going to be playing width and backspacing.

Not worried about power as long as I stay with a close diameter... maybe 2-3% larger to help correct the speedo, but even the 245's will be better than when I put 31's on my '94 5-lug. Floored and in 4th just to maintain 80 on a mild hill!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You rubbed with 245's?
I figured the XR's 255's would be a clean fit on any 5-lug.

So, if I go with the Seven-X or another 17x7 with a 30-40 offset, think that'll clear without trimming and 245/55? Like I said, if I ever do a drop, it's only going to be an inch or so... I'd really just like to level it out and maybe a very small drop beyond that.

As with any wheel/tire, the game is going to be playing width and backspacing.

Not worried about power as long as I stay with a close diameter... maybe 2-3% larger to help correct the speedo, but even the 245's will be better than when I put 31's on my '94 5-lug. Floored and in 4th just to maintain 80 on a mild hill!
I was dropped 4.5" in the front on XR wheels with 245/40's and had no rubbing at full wheel lock, and barely grazed the fender liner on hard hits/stuffing tires.

I was dropped 6" in the rear on XR wheels with 245/40's and the top of the sidewall rubbed the underside of the bedside. That's why I had to roll them. I kick myself for not just cutting them.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of those wheels for a couple reasons.

First, I understand and appreciate the 5 spoke classic Cragar SS or American Racing Torque Thrust wheels appeal to the custom car culture. But, I don't think that styling looks right on the Tacoma.

Second, when I see those, I think Mustang. Mustang wheels, to me, do not mesh well with our trucks.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #14

Ya... it sucks because I really like the look of the Old School, but there's no way those will work even with 215's on them. They'll stick out 3" more than stock and look "South Central"

Leaning now toward the AR Phantom with Michelin Hydroedge.
I can get the set of 4, with new TPMS, mounted and shipped for just under $1700 from TireRack.

Attached Thumbnails
what size wheel is your street truck-arwheels.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Ya... it sucks because I really like the look of the Old School, but there's no way those will work even with 215's on them. They'll stick out 3" more than stock and look "South Central"

Leaning now toward the AR Phantom with Michelin Hydroedge.
I can get the set of 4, with new TPMS, mounted and shipped for just under $1700 from TireRack.
You have TPMS?

When I buy tires I get the best price from www.onlinetires.com, then I bring a printout with shipping quote to Discount Tire and have them match it.

That way, you get the good pricing and the warranty stuff that comes with a Discount Tire purchase.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
You have TPMS?

When I buy tires I get the best price from www.onlinetires.com, then I bring a printout with shipping quote to Discount Tire and have them match it.

That way, you get the good pricing and the warranty stuff that comes with a Discount Tire purchase.
TPMS on 5 wheels on my '08
I'd like it to work, though I really don't need it since I do keep an eye on my inflation.

Haven't looked into Onlinetires, but Discount doesn't carry American Racing wheels, and they are special order for the size tires I want (either 235 or 245).
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #17

Online is a little over $1200 for the same tire/wheel package, but TireRack's price includes TPMS,mounting, balancing, shipping (I'd do will-call in Cerritos for Online), and lug nuts... I think I threw road hazard in there too, so there's really no savings in going with Online, considering my local shops charge an arm and a leg to mount and balance "Innernet" purchases... and some flat out refuse for "liability reasons"

I wish Discount carried AR.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Second, when I see those, I think Mustang. Mustang wheels, to me, do not mesh well with our trucks.

Hmm... Good point.
And those even have the correct offset.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Online is a little over $1200 for the same tire/wheel package, but TireRack's price includes TPMS,mounting, balancing, shipping (I'd do will-call in Cerritos for Online), and lug nuts... I think I threw road hazard in there too, so there's really no savings in going with Online, considering my local shops charge an arm and a leg to mount and balance "Innernet" purchases... and some flat out refuse for "liability reasons"

I wish Discount carried AR.
For the tires, www.onlinetires.com has a pick up in Cherritos actually. lol

I dunno, I got my first set of Neo Gens for $700 from Discount, then someone told me about onlinetires.com so I printed out the total and shipping, and brought it to Discount Tire a day after I ordered them.

They refunded me the difference. I ended up getting around $200 back.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #20

That's what I was saying.
Tirerack is $500 more, but for that $500 I'm getting 4 new TPMS, lug nuts, mounted, balanced, and $132 UPS ground.

So the $1200 from Online and local pickup, I'd still have to add $300 for TPMS, lug nuts, and pay a local shop to mount and balance which could be problematic and won't be cheap.

OTOH, if I settle for the Seven-X from Discount, I don't have to deal with getting rid of the takeoffs, and if my spare TPMS sensor is bad, they can either swap a good one from the takeoffs into the spare, or furnish a new one.