Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

Odd scraping noise over dips after considerable rear drop. (2nd gen)

Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Odd scraping noise over dips after considerable rear drop. (2nd gen)

Hopefully Kelson will chime in here.

Dropped a total of 6 inches out back.

I don't think it's axle wrap, and I'm fairly certain it's not the driveshaft rubbing on the dust cap.
I have my QA1's cranked up to 12 so I'm just bouncing down the road, and it still happens.
The blocks have offset pins and holes to return the driveshaft to the factory location to accommodate the drop.

I get this weird scraping noise sometimes after going over decent sized dips in the road at speed.
No noise after going over bumps, just dips.

As soon as I hear the noise, if I keep on the gas, the scraping noise goes away.
If I let off the gas, the noise continues for a few seconds then fades away until the next dip.

Any ideas? I can't find anything.
The only think I can think of is the dust cap on the back of the tranny.
But the suspension doesn't really travel enough to push the driveshaft into the tranny to cause it to rub.

-not axle wrap
-don't think it's the driveshaft dust cap, but maybe
-not rubbing on the under-cab brake lines
Old 08-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes dragging maybe? Maybe all the drop has messed with the brake proportioning or stretched the parking brake cable and it causes some dragging. I dont think that would that loud though. Just an idea.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16TACO View Post
Brakes dragging maybe? Maybe all the drop has messed with the brake proportioning or stretched the parking brake cable and it causes some dragging. I dont think that would that loud though. Just an idea.
Not the parking brake cable, I can only guess maybe the brake lines under the cab again or possibly the dust cap. I really don't think it's either.

I'm going to see if I can borrow my buddies GoPro to find out what is up.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Mob parking lots.

So it does it at slow speeds, randomly.

Fuck I need a garage! This sucks assholes.