Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Street Trucks

Notices

From 18's to 20's. Whatcha think?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #42
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
so I was looking up jdm stuff and found an XR that had 18x10.5" rims all around on it. Didn't look like it was sticking out really.

http://www.jdmeuro.com/jdm-truck-toy...er-enkei-rpf1/
1. I'm skeptical of that article because it says the fenders are rolled for a nice stance. lol

2. I have a 4 banger that doesn't even make 200 whp, whereas that s/c'd XR is making, according to the article, around 340 whp. I have no need for 10.5" wide rims; they're just going to lower fuel economy.

3. His notch isn't boxed, big no-no.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #43
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Ryan, that's one of the cleanest RC's I've seen. +1
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
1. I'm skeptical of that article because it says the fenders are rolled for a nice stance. lol

2. I have a 4 banger that doesn't even make 200 whp, whereas that s/c'd XR is making, according to the article, around 340 whp. I have no need for 10.5" wide rims; they're just going to lower fuel economy.

3. His notch isn't boxed, big no-no.
1. had I completely read the article instead of looking at the pictures ... ...

2. how does the width of the rim effect the fuel econ? Since I'm going for a kind of JDM style drop (still debating on either 8.5" wide or 9" ... just want it to look clean not like a flower pot sticking out all crazy like) ... this kind of worries me a little. The OE Muranos are @ 7.5" width.

3. tsk tsk YES VERY BIG NO NO INDEED! I'm not going to notch just yet
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2. how does the width of the rim effect the fuel econ? Since I'm going for a kind of JDM style drop (still debating on either 8.5" wide or 9" ... just want it to look clean not like a flower pot sticking out all crazy like) ... this kind of worries me a little. The OE Muranos are @ 7.5" width.
Larger contact patch = more rolling resistance.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
would it be a bad idea to go with a 8.5" or 9" wide rim?

going for this kind of look for my rims. nothing too much but just nice enough to give it that clean flow look to it.

these are 18x9.5" all around.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #47
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:

going for this kind of look for my rims. nothing too much but just nice enough to give it that clean flow look to it.

that still looks a little pokey to me... i think it looks best when the outter edge of the rim is in line with the curve of the fender, like if you were to lower the car more the edge of the fender would rest on the lip of the wheel...

for ex:

with that said, i definitely say go with the bigger wheel. i really like the look of the xrunners but they always seem to have such small wheels, both stock and when people put on aftermarket ones. with all the oversized style panels of the tacoma i really think you need the bigger wheels to pull it off.

just my .02
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #48
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This, it creates drag.

Quote:

You don't need a wide rim to get that more-than-hella-flush look. haha

Just do some homework and find a wheel set with the proper offset.

The stock XR wheel is an 8" wide rim with a large (+30) offset, so it looks sunken into the vehicle.

If you put an 8" wide rim with a lower (0 or +15 or -15) offset, it will stick out all Mexican style, just how you like it.

Or...as I plan to do, just use wheel spacers and trim some fenders because I like using stock Toyota parts to be custom.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #49

Quote:
This, it creates drag.

You don't need a wide rim to get that more-than-hella-flush look. haha

Just do some homework and find a wheel set with the proper offset.

The stock XR wheel is an 8" wide rim with a large (+30) offset, so it looks sunken into the vehicle.

If you put an 8" wide rim with a lower (0 or +15 or -15) offset, it will stick out all Mexican style, just how you like it.

Or...as I plan to do, just use wheel spacers and trim some fenders because I like using stock Toyota parts to be custom.
I do like how stretched tires look but bot the overly stretched ones lol.

been trying to figure out what's the best offset ... it's fairly tricky. mainly because I don't have rims to see what it looks like. EWWWWWWWWWW F'D THAT!!!! I HATE FLOWER POTS!!! lol I'm mainly looking to get that small poke out w/the stretched tire effect.

I was thinking spacers, but then I would have to extend my lugs? As of now it looks as if the lug nuts themselves on my OE Muranos are fairly short or maybe it's just the lug nut holes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #50
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
I do like how stretched tires look but bot the overly stretched ones lol.

been trying to figure out what's the best offset ... it's fairly tricky. mainly because I don't have rims to see what it looks like. EWWWWWWWWWW F'D THAT!!!! I HATE FLOWER POTS!!! lol I'm mainly looking to get that small poke out w/the stretched tire effect.

I was thinking spacers, but then I would have to extend my lugs? As of now it looks as if the lug nuts themselves on my OE Muranos are fairly short or maybe it's just the lug nut holes
I had spacers on mine when it was lifted, no extended studs needed.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #51
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Some food-for-thought (even though the OP has chosen to stay with his 18's)...

Twenty inch wheels do look cool, but our little 4-banger trucks don't have much horsepower like X-Runners do and big wheels are heavy... really heavy. Not only are the wheels heavier the larger the diameter and wider they are, the tires get heavier, most likely because of all the extra material needed to reinforce the sidewalls. I wish more wheel web sites posted wheel and tire weights. The Tire Rack usually does, but it's one of the few sites that does.

What's worse is that all the weight is further from the center of the wheel, which will be noticeable. If you've ever watched a figure skater (like in the Olympics), when she wants to spin slowly, she moves her arms away from her body. When she pulls then in, she spins quickly. Same principle applies when you buy large wheels and the weight is far from the center of the wheel. (See "centripetal force" for a nerdy explanation)

Thus, heavy wheels have a lot of disadvantages:
  • Slower acceleration
  • Poorer braking performance
  • Suspension performance degrades
I can only assuming fuel economy will suffer as well, but I have no proof of that.

As for the width of a wheel, apparently the wider the wheel, the better the wheel will perform, but the ride quality will suffer, among other things. For more info, see The Tire Rack web site.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #52
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

thats the stretch I'm tryna go for maybe a lil less but i don't want it to poke that far I'm stryna make the tire tuck and have the rim just sit flush with the fender or a lil out
but thats not to badd of a stretch it has a wide look to it aggressive not toooooo much rim hanging where its ridiculous (imo)
and what u know thats the same size wheel ill be running hehe
we shall see very soon
Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #53
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo Ballz808 View Post
thats the stretch I'm tryna go for maybe a lil less but i don't want it to poke that far I'm stryna make the tire tuck and have the rim just sit flush with the fender or a lil out
but thats not to badd of a stretch it has a wide look to it aggressive not toooooo much rim hanging where its ridiculous (imo)
and what u know thats the same size wheel ill be running hehe
we shall see very soon
#stancewillmakeherdance
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
#stancewillmakeherdance
Yes sir!!! Hahah